PDA

View Full Version : Refuelling JetA1 from drums

eloigorri
8th Dec 2011, 10:43
I am operating my Piper Malibu Jetprop out of a small private airfield in Northern Chiang Mai, Thailand.

The runway is 2,400ft x 30ft so there is not much margin for error, and the density altitude means close attention to the W&B operating out of it, but on the plus side I now have my own hanger to call home which is a huge advantage after being a runway gypsy for the previous three years.

The switch to the new airfield means I have to also manage the refuelling supply myself based on using JetA1 supplied in 55 Gallon drums and dispensed using an electric pump.

Is anyone else also managing their own fuel supply like this?

I have a few concerns which I hope the group can help me with.

We are typically at outside temps of 32oC with dewpoints of 15-17oC. I assume that water generation inside the drums is going to be an issue?

Should I squirt some Prist into the drums to help prevent fungus growth in the drums?

The only downside of that is that Prist will coagulate any fungus and it will I presume just sink to the bottom of the drum.

I was thinking of using a marine water separator type strainer/funnel to help mitigate some of this potential contamination.

Any other advice on this type of operation appreciated.

Cheers - E

goldeneaglepilot
8th Dec 2011, 12:12
A decent filter on the pump supplying the aircraft is essential, as is not rolling the drums around prior to refueling (let the water seperate and rubbish sink to the bottom)

The Algae-X filter system works really well in high temperature / humidity conditions and whilst expensive may save a lot of issues as part of your refuelling system

QFF
8th Dec 2011, 14:29
A little water detector paste on a stick goes a long way...

We used Jet-A from drums in PNG, both in the cooler Highlands and in the wamer humid coastal areas, without any problems. Storing the barrels in the right position does help too.

Tinstaafl
8th Dec 2011, 16:26
Are you storing the drums inside or outside?

If outside rest the drums on their side, on supports or blocks that keep the drums clear of the ground & moisture, and with the bungholes level with each other.

Well prior to use move the drum to the fueling point. Position the drum upright but with one side on a block so that the drum is slightly tilted. The high side needs to be the same side as as the bunghole the pump will feed from if you'll cover the top of the drum or, alternatively,position the block between the bungholes so that neither of them is on the low side. The idea is that any sediment or water will settle at the low point, away from the bottom of the pump's standpipe and also the bungholes are protected from water too. One US gov. document recommends 1 hour settling time for each foot the drum had to be moved. I usually positioned drums the day before if possible, or 1st thing in the morning for a planned afternoon refueling.

Get water finding paste or paper and test the drum fuel prior to use.

Use a pump with a filter attached. Even better, obtain a monitor which will warn if water is present.

Make sure everything is earthed together before opening any caps or bungs.

Replaced the bungs in the drum after use - especially if there's still fuel in the drum you'd like to use later. Also keep the pump protected from moisture.

eloigorri
9th Dec 2011, 21:20
Many thanks for the replies. Appreciated.

Currently the drums are stored outside, on a raised platform, but will eventually get their own ventilated hut.

The drums do not need to be moved for refuelling since I can taxi up next to them and have a long hose from the pump that will reach both wings, so hopefully this will help with the sediment issue.

E

Tinstaafl
9th Dec 2011, 23:05
You'll still have to allow some time for water/sediment settling after moving a drum from lying on its side to upright in preparation for use.

Gulfstreamaviator
10th Dec 2011, 04:48
Fantastic part of the world, been once wanted to stay.

a few questions:

where is your mtce provider. ?

what sort of trips do you do.?

payload.?

are you relocating from Chaing Mai city, if so why.?

Have some great flights, and please post some pics when able.

glf

eloigorri
11th Dec 2011, 01:10
My maintenance used to get done at Don Muang Airport in Bangkok, but now sadly closed due to the recent flooding, and my MRO may not survive by the time it reopens. I have to macro manage all the maintenance myself to ensure it gets done correctly, which takes up considerable time and effort.

I relocated from Chiang Mai International due to the lack of usable hangers there, and because they started putting restrictions on GA operations.

I use my aircraft for private trips around the Kingdom, Phuket, Bangkok etc. As well as some humanitarian projects, the latest being flood relief, which can be very heart breaking to witness on the scale we have had here this year.

It is a great part of the world to be flying providing you award due respect to the convective activity always present, and have patience for paperwork and local quirks.

The Jetprop is a fantastic choice for my mission profile here, but it is payload limited, which combined with the prevailing density altitude makes for a two person aircraft with luggage, or four without luggage and full fuel.

I love operating it out in this region. The scenery is often breathtaking, and generally the operations are hassle free.

E