PDA

View Full Version : Landing at WAMM, Manado Indonesia

eloigorri
8th Dec 2011, 10:19
I am planning a flying trip around Borneo culminating in a visit to Manado (WAMM) in Indonesia.
The current NOTAM at the airport and recent news reports refer to Lokon volcano activity in the vicinity. Is anyone actively flying in that region with firsthand knowledge of the airport and current operating conditions with respect to any volcanic ash or visibility issues?
Any other local tips for operating there would also be appreciated, the previous topics here on it are quite old and a little light on specifics, but refer to it being quite challenging!
I will be operating a private single engine turbo prop.
Many thanks in advance.
Eduardo

CubaLibre
9th Dec 2011, 11:17
I haven't operated there in over a year, but as noone else has given you an answer.

The field is actually very busy, lot of Indonesian Airlines jets, and turbo props in and out all of the time.

The main point of entry is MD NDB, if memory serves, 5500' is the holding altitude. The second NDB is PN, which brings you to runway lead in lights that bring you to the Threshold 36. 36 is the prefered runway, 18 has a lot of hills, but has an ILS, visually only do it on a clear day.

Get down early, declare visual, and proceed up the coast line to the town. Track from there to PN, but you should easily see the field from overhead town.

Typically the ATC is very accommodating, but their wx reporting can leave a lot to be desired. Exercise extreme caution in that regard.

Good luck.

eloigorri
9th Dec 2011, 22:02
Thanks for the reply.

The latest plates also show an ILS for 36 as well as the NDB approach.
The missed for the NDB approach looks interesting compared to the ILS 36. ;)

I plan to go there at the end of this month.

The recent METARs look reasonable apart from the usual convective activity.

Is visibility generaly ok? Coming from Thailand this time of year gets very hazy.

Cheers - E

Silver Spur
10th Dec 2011, 03:35
Hi There,

It has been more than five years or so since I last flew into Manado, but between the periods of 2004-2006 I frequently flew into manado.

At this time of year, haze would not be your primary concern, I would worry more about heavy rain, as there is so little or no wind, so the rain could stay there for a while. Manado is also a non radar environment, and is very busy in terms of traffic. Most of the time, even up to 10kts tailwind, RWY36 is in use, and the instrument approach available is mostly the above mentioned NDB, the ILS 36 used to be always notammed as Not Calibrated although they keep it on air.

Hope this helps

SS

eloigorri
11th Dec 2011, 04:55
Thank you.

Should be a fun trip if the weather cooperates.

Cheers - E

eloigorri
10th Jan 2012, 03:02
I had a great trip to Manado and back.
A lot of convective weather enroute, but thankfully none at the airport arriving or departing. Landed via 18 visual, with front row view of the smoking volcano.

Can imagine the approach in poor vis or at night a challenge due to the terrain around.

Thanks for all the tips.

Eduardo