PDA

View Full Version : Simulator Engineer

ECAM_Actions
8th Dec 2011, 00:09
I was wondering - is it a MUST to be qualified as an electronics engineer to be a sim technician? I have extensive knowledge of computer systems and networking, and a good understanding of basic hydraulics. I know how a simulator works, and have previously done software development and testing for such systems.

I'm wondering if I'd be wasting my time applying, so want to know from those who know, if I am.

Thanks in advance.

ZFT
8th Dec 2011, 05:22
Depends. If you are working on the latest devices only then not really as the ‘trade’ has changed significantly.

The hardware is predominantly COTS technology and very little component level fault finding is performed. No hydraulics to worry about either.

However, if you are going to work on the older devices then you need to be a good all round technician and electronics is a must.

My staff work on both and all of them are (amongst various other disciplines) very competent electronic engineers.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Dec 2011, 06:32
A good friend of mine, until he was medicalled out (nothing to do with the job!) worked very sucessfully as a simulator development engineer for, amongst others, Thales.

He has a BEng in aeronautical engineering.

I'm unsure of the division between engineers and technicians within that community but I'll PM you his email address if you want to quiz somebody who's spent a lot of time on the inside.

G

ECAM_Actions
9th Dec 2011, 22:07
Thanks for the feedback!

@Genghis, if you could, it would be most appreciated! Thank you!