PDA

View Full Version : Trivandrum basing

Hunter S Thompson
7th Dec 2011, 00:07
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a B737 Trivandrum basing as an expat Captain (with any airline)?

Thanks

cyrilroy21
7th Dec 2011, 00:18
Air India Express has a Trivandrum base on the 737 .

And they are hiring expat captains at the moment .

May I ask why Trivandrum ?

Hunter S Thompson
7th Dec 2011, 00:30
Thanks,

Trivandrum as I (and my young family) would really like to live in Kerala for a while.

Any feedback as to what Air India Express are like to work for? I have worked in South East Asia before but not in India.

Rocketmann
7th Dec 2011, 10:39
Jet has a handful of guys based there on NG.

niksmathew24
8th Dec 2011, 01:03
If you're desperate to live in Kerala, I suggest you go for Cochin(Kochi).

TRV is a dried up place. No malls, no standard theaters just a few beaches only. In just a few weeks you'll get really bored of the place. But on the brighter side the traffic is much less compared to any other capital.

Kochin got everything. Malls, theaters, beaches, pubs, everything and anything. BUT the traffic is horrible.

How I know: Brought up at TRV, living and loving COK!

PM for any doubts.:ok:

Hunter S Thompson
14th Dec 2011, 03:56
Thanks for the info guys, will check out Cochin. Any feedback as to which is the better job, Jet or Air India Express? Thanks again

niksmathew24
14th Dec 2011, 15:20
If you got an option, please go ahead with Jet!

captjns
14th Dec 2011, 20:05
Thanks for the info guys, will check out Cochin. Any feedback as to which is the better job, Jet or Air India Express? Thanks again.

You may wish to start a separate post for information Jet Airways versus Air India Express. You will probably a response to the pros and cons as it relates to working for both carriers.

squidward
14th Dec 2011, 20:46
I would have to agree. Kochi wins hands down.

Have visited and stayed as a tourist in both Trivandrum and Cochin. Trivandrum is a dump..... Interesting to have a look at, but I wouldn't be joining the queue to live there. A poor depressing place - just check out the slums driving the back way from the airport into town. The centre of town is not particularly interesting either.

Cochin, and particularly Fort Kochi is very nice and a totally different atmosphere from Trivandrum. Plenty of history and a very different feel to the place.

Geebz
19th Dec 2011, 21:30
The only thng TRV has to offer are its beaches. Some are clean but most local citizens who live or work near the beach throw their trash into the water. I have seen it many times. I have even confronted people about it. But they just ignored me, Ferengi! I have dived off of Kovolam and noticed the sea floor was littered with trash. It's too bad, the water is really clear in the winter months. They could do a brisk business as a dive destination if they ever cleaned the place up. Varkala is a nice place as well, but, again, the trash. The shop owners on the bluff above the beach merely sweep their trash off the cliff every morning. When I stayed there and queried the authorities about it their response was, "what's the problem? When Monsoon comes it will wash the trash away into the sea." No sht, a local cop told me that.

Indians in general have no concept of waste management but you sort of expect that in the big cities. I was surprised to see it in what could be very beautiful places like Kovolam and Varkala.

Stick to Cochin instead.

You can only go to the beach so many times before you get bored and need to do other things. And there isn't much to do in TRV.

But if you're a surfer, monsoon season brings some pretty big waves. I surfed there quite a bit during two monsoon seasons. No crowds, all the waves to myself. But be prepared for the local cops to threaten to arrest you when you go into the water. They're told not to let anyone in the ocean during monsoon. I just went anyway. After a couple of hours waiting for me they usually give up and move on to something else.