PDA

View Full Version : Australian Rules-we are different right?

Maisk Rotum
6th Dec 2011, 15:48
Yes but not so different that it confuses foreign crews-right? We know we have differing legislation in many areas compared to ICAO (eg visual approaches) but here is one that keeps coming up;

You are "Cleared for Shark 3 arrival". That arrival has a 'cross Bait at or below 7000 feet'. You are then subsequently given radar vectors with no further instructions. There are many ignorati that believe that you are still required to cross abeam Bait at or below 7000 despite a specific requirement to do so.

Been a while since I looked at the Oz regs but am sure it hasn't ever been that way nor diverged from recent clarifications on altitudes in SIDS and STARS under ICAO.

Anyone able to provide specific references from the AIP?

single chime
6th Dec 2011, 16:23
AirServicesOz does file a violation when this happens to our crews (foreign operator). Anywhere else in the world, once you by-pass a point with a restriction (vector or direct routing to a point down the star), it does not apply anymore.

haughtney1
6th Dec 2011, 16:49
AirServicesOz does file a violation when this happens to our crews (foreign operator). Anywhere else in the world, once you by-pass a point with a restriction (vector or direct routing to a point down the star), it does not apply anymore.

Similar sort of thing in the UK except ATC will advise....cross abeam xxxxx at or below FL150 etc etc.
I bet there is something in the Oz AIP (or equilvalent) that states that the requirement with respect to crossing altitudes is in place.
Everywhere has its odd local rules, Oz is no different, it just seems they are quite a bit les tolerant of transgression....make of that what you will, but to me the "services" bit is sometimes lacking :ok::E

speedcock
6th Dec 2011, 17:32
We have suffered from utterly anal Oz ATC; f/o sent back on track CPDLC message when LNAV was captured with 0.8 nm deviation left...we have a nasty message that their super advance ADS had us not back on course. Next we had tea and bickies with the chief pilot!

MACH082
6th Dec 2011, 18:57
Unless they tell you cancel STAR, or cancel speed/height restrictions, then you are still obligated by the STARs operational requirements.

Whenever I get any other instructions I query with them regarding the STAR. They will usually initially cancel height and speed restrictions then when you call visual cancel the STAR.

Checkboard
6th Dec 2011, 19:07
The UK has filed a variation with ICAO, such that a clearance without re-stating a restriction cancels that restriction.

So if cleared A-B(7000 or below)-C

and between A and B you are "Cleared direct C" then there is no need (in the UK only) to comply with the 7000' restriction.

I Europe, you ARE still required to comply with the 7000' restriction passing abeam B.

NTZ
6th Dec 2011, 21:02
If you are taken off or deviate from the STAR, you are only required to meet any requirements / restrictions that apply from the point you rejoin the STAR (if you ever do) unless instructed by ATC.

AIP 10.3.14 When an aircraft is vectored or deviates off a STAR or Transition Route, ATC will;
a. re-position the aircraft on the STAR or Transition Route;
b. provide direct tracking to a way point on the STAR or Transition Route; and:
c. restate any restrictions/requirements applicable to the STAR or Transition Route being rejoined up to and including the point the STAR or Transition Route is rejoined.

AIP ENR 10.3.15 Following vectoring or holding pilots must comply with any STAR or Transition Route restrictions/requirements from the position at which the aircraft re-intercepts the STAR or Transition Route.

Capn Bloggs
6th Dec 2011, 22:47
So we're not so silly/different/bad after all...

Speedcock, why were you offtrack?

Maisk Rotum
7th Dec 2011, 01:36
NTZ- that was what I was after. So in the case where you rejoin the STAR after the restriction you do not have to comply with any restrictions that are abeam you.

AIP 10.3.14 When an aircraft is vectored or deviates off a STAR or Transition Route, ATC will;
a. re-position the aircraft on the STAR or Transition Route;
b. provide direct tracking to a way point on the STAR or Transition Route; and:
c. restate any restrictions/requirements applicable to the STAR or Transition Route being rejoined up to and including the point the STAR or Transition Route is rejoined.

AIP ENR 10.3.15 Following vectoring or holding pilots must comply with any STAR or Transition Route restrictions/requirements from the position at which the aircraft re-intercepts the STAR or Transition Route

Haughtney 1-as you stated if UK ATC wanted you abeam some point at or below an altitude they would tell you so. Exactly the same as Australia.

Checkboard- My understanding of that UK variation applies where there is no vectoring off the STAR or for that matter the SID. This is a different scenario to what I was exploring but nonethless a good comparison. So if the STAR states cross A at 10,000, B at 7000 and C at 6000 and then ATC clears you to 6000, in the UK the 10,000 and 7,000 restrictions are cancelled even though you fly over them. In Europe and indeed the rest of the world you are still required to comply with them.

Metro man
7th Dec 2011, 02:37
We have suffered from utterly anal Oz ATC; f/o sent back on track CPDLC message when LNAV was captured with 0.8 nm deviation left...we have a nasty message that their super advance ADS had us not back on course. Next we had tea and bickies with the chief pilot!

Anyone on the Airbus ever been cleared to a way point to intercept the ILS and been in NAV green LOC blue within 25nm. At 20nm from the threshold the aircraft deviates in order to intercept the localiser and goes slightly off track ?

Sure enough Australian ATC will pick it up :ugh:

As for the height restrictions mentioned on the STARS, if flying internationally just comply with everything given the even abeam restrictions. Opinions vary from controller to controller as well as country to country. You won't get reported for complying with a restriction that has theoretically been cancelled.

nitpicker330
7th Dec 2011, 11:16
Yep, good advice :ok:

Capn Bloggs
7th Dec 2011, 22:58
Anyone on the Airbus ever been cleared to a way point to intercept the ILS and been in NAV green LOC blue within 25nm. At 20nm from the threshold the aircraft deviates in order to intercept the localiser and goes slightly off track ?

Sure enough Australian ATC will pick it up
My Boeing's the same. To all magenta line babies: if ATC says "track Direct" that means direct, not whatever your whizzbang gizmos think. Let's just slide a bit to the right of track because that's what the box wants to do and run through a restricted area...

Nil defects
8th Dec 2011, 00:30
Your Boeing is not really a Boeing! :O

Capn Bloggs
8th Dec 2011, 00:33
Thank goodness.