PDA

View Full Version : FAA....New Emphasis On Drunk Driving

SASless
5th Dec 2011, 18:32
The FAA has been confronted with the need to re-emphasize the dangers of Drinking and Driving by Licensed Pilots.

Randy Babbitt, a former Airline Pilot, and current Administrator of the FAA was arrested for Driving While Intoxicated by Police after he was seen driving on the wrong side of the road.

Babbitt, is now on administrative leave (read full pay and benefits).

FAA chief Babbitt placed on leave after drunk driving arrest - The Hill's Transportation Report (http://thehill.com/blogs/transportation-report/aviation/197203-report-faa-administrator-randy-babbitt-arrest-for-drunk-driving)

birrddog
5th Dec 2011, 19:14
I love this quote

"His background as a pilot makes him a perfect fit for FAA administrator since he understands what it takes to be a true safety professional and how much trust the American people are placing in us to help them reach their destinations safely,” LaHood said in a statement last week.

Clearly he took that to heart, considering pilot licensing in the US emphasises the link between DUI on your drivers license and your FAA ticket.

Hope he remembers to report himself under 14 CFR 61.15.

The only guarantee to not get caught up with a DUI is don't drink and drive.

I know it can be a pain, though I can't understand why people are still willing to take the chance just because they think the odds of not getting caught are in their favor.

SASless
5th Dec 2011, 22:03
Question.....

If you do not hold a current FAA Medical Certificate...but do hold an Airman Certificate.....does one have to self report a conviction for Drunk Driving?

Upon applying for the issuance of a Medical Certificate....one would be obliged to do so. If one holds a current Medical Certificate...one is obliged to do so.

If you do not hold a current medical certificate....do you "hold" an Airman Certificate?

birrddog
5th Dec 2011, 23:10
Holding any certificate issued under part 61.

(e) Each person holding a certificate issued under this part shall provide a written report of each motor vehicle action to the FAA, Civil Aviation Security Division (AMC–700), P.O. Box 25810, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, not later than 60 days after the motor vehicle action. The report must include:

SASless
6th Dec 2011, 00:38
What constitutes "Holding" ?

Gordy
6th Dec 2011, 04:30
One assumes he holds an ATP...therefore..... he is subject to:

FAR 61.153 (c) (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=2f4f559578361e67fafc7e25a2797917&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.7.1.2&idno=14)

(c) Be of good moral character;

While one will admit that I am fond of the occasional "adult beverage"....one NEVER drives. I will ALWAYS pay for a cab or have a designated driver, tis the right thing to do.

SASless
6th Dec 2011, 09:42
If the FAA enforced that requirement....there would be darn few real helicopter pilots I fear!:E

Gordy
6th Dec 2011, 12:57
Ha, there is a reason I do not have mine...:E:E:E

SASless
6th Dec 2011, 13:26
Gonna start working towards one in March are we Gordy?;)

Gordy
6th Dec 2011, 21:34
Gonna start working towards one in March are we Gordy?

I am assuming the "good moral character" bit..... I always wanted to be a helicopter pilot when I grew up---then I realized I could not do both---but I will pretend after March... :)

lelebebbel
8th Dec 2011, 11:47
Press Release – Statement from Randy Babbitt (http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=13260)

SASless
8th Dec 2011, 12:24
I wish some others in the Obama Administration would have as much honour, integrity and down right decency as does Babbitt.

When one compares the "crime" he committed and the action he took afterwards....in comparison there would be a great many ritual suicides by the other folks. The halls of Treasury, DOJ, and Congress would run red....and the Oval Office would need a new rug.

Drunk driving is not an act that warrants resigning.....taking his lumps under the very system he heads would have been fair and just. He could do like so many airline pilots have done in the past and claim to be addicted to alcohol and toddle off to Rehab....then return to work a blessed man.