PDA

View Full Version : opening links in emails - failing

rans6andrew
5th Dec 2011, 17:49
I have or been unable to open links or pictures embedded in emails for a couple of weeks, before that it all worked just fine. Attachments are still working normally.

Win Vista, Mozilla Thunderbird mailtool and Mozilla Firefox for link/.jpg opening.

If I forwards the unresponsive email to myself at Yahoo the links are working correctly so the original emails are getting into my Thunderbird mailbox OK.

Any ideas?

Ta,

Rans6......

Spurlash2
5th Dec 2011, 18:19
Link HERE (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=738595&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)to a page of discussion from 2008.

david1300
6th Dec 2011, 06:14
Recently my wife's computer had the same problem cured. Don't know what the problem was, but the Computer Guy/s (that's his business name) suggested that it may be that because she had multiple browsers installed (IE, Google Chrome, Firefox) that somehow Outlook/the browsers couldn't decide who was to open the link. I didn't ask what the ultimate solution was, but if you don't get it sorted I'll find out for you.

rans6andrew
6th Dec 2011, 17:06
thanks for the suggestions.

Firefox thought it was the default browser.

I found that the "run firefox -silent etc" didn't work as it could not find firefox.exe!

When I looked into the default progs and apps there was NO FIREFOX. Also, the shortcut that opens firefox from the tool bar at the foot of the screen has some mention of IE in it's path which I could not change.

In the end I re-installed Firefox and it seems to be fixed.......... the first email embedded link I clicked failed to find the blood donor uk website but I think that was their end causing the failure.

Rans6....