PDA

View Full Version : Media Award for GT

mattyj
5th Dec 2011, 08:08
Geoff Thomas wins 2011 Aviation Journalist of the year award...anyone..anyone?!

Capt Fathom
5th Dec 2011, 09:45
How many contenders were there? Thought so!

Cactusjack
5th Dec 2011, 10:41
The list of categories the award was based on was amazing as well:
A) Best embellished story award
B) Most biased and one sided reporting of a story award
C) Most inaccurate ****e loaded story award
D) Most amount of references to 'loving Qantas' award
E) Best membership perks award
F) Most boring uneducated spin producing story in favor of the operator award
G) Best aviation story that can be used as toilet paper award
H) The you scratch my back and I will scratch yours award

Yes, a magnificent evening, I hope GT enjoys his prestigious award. I actually have a minature statue of him that I am going to bronze right now..

Selcalmeonly
25th Dec 2011, 06:32
I know those following this thread have probably gone on to more interesting and important things but I just have to ask ... Who is GT? All I know is that he is a journalist - I've been arount this industry for 37 years and until recently, I'd never heard of him! Has he got some claim to fame?

TWT
25th Dec 2011, 06:51
Geoffrey Thomas Profile - Opinion Blogger for The West Australian (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/opinion/profile/-/blog/geoffreythomas/id/5835530/)

lk978
25th Dec 2011, 08:58
GT everything that is wrong with aviation in Australia...

Go and learn some real facts about the industry before claiming to be an expert...

Desert Flower
25th Dec 2011, 20:12
And here was me thinking GT meant Gary Ticehurst. Speaking of Gary, I heard this morning they will be scattering his ashes at various points during the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. A fitting tribute methinks!

DF.

Slippery_Pete
26th Dec 2011, 00:20
20 years ago, someone was considered an expert if people IN THE FIELD respected the individual's qualifications, experience, knowledge and unbias.

It seems now all you have to do now in aviation is call yourself an "EXPERT" to gain the title.

Cactusjack
26th Dec 2011, 01:58
I know those following this thread have probably gone on to more interesting and important things but I just have to ask ... Who is GT? All I know is that he is a journalist - I've been arount this industry for 37 years and until recently, I'd never heard of him! Has he got some claim to fame?
Selcalmeonly, G.T is somebody who gets paid rather well and rewarded for writing inaccuarate and embellished aviation stories. Most of the excrement he prints is inaccurate, incorrect and questionably complete fantasy. He also is loathe to write anything negative about one particular Australian airline that rewards him with special membership priveledges.
That roughly somes him up in a politically correct and soft fashion.

P.S He shouldn't be nicknamed G.T as a G.T was an iconoic part of Australian history (as Qantas was) and the G.T was without doubt the best piece of motoring machinery and muscle produced in Australia, by Australians for Australians, it had balls bigger than a Rodeo Bull. Of course until the fun police and government nimrods pulled the pin on this fast piece of metal. Of course it was deemed too fast, a death trap, to dangerous. But don't worry, now we have sh#t roads and put our kids in brand new Korean coke cans and more are dying now than they did in the 60/70's, but of course they aren't driving solid metal powered by a 351 Cleveland.
Hey Geoff you QF date licker, report on that..........

Sorry, back to the thread, a slight tail drift there:E

FGD135
26th Dec 2011, 06:48
Congratulations Geoffrey, you deserve it. Seems like only a few months ago that you had won an award and I was writing similar words.

GT's view is always of the bigger picture - of course he is not going to write the kind of rubbish that Ben Sandilands does. (To be popular with the PPRUNERs, you need to write from the Sandilands viewpoint).

Most of the excrement he prints is inaccurate, incorrect and questionably complete fantasy
You're doing exactly the thing you claim of him. I know which of the two of you I would rather read.

Ando1Bar
26th Dec 2011, 07:29
I believe GT is a smart man and like the above post sees the big picture...at times. However, there is too much bias from a management perspective which comes from never actually working in the industry and reading too many management text books.

His antics on Sunrise make me sick at times (maybe it's just Sunrise in general) and he needs to start portraying all sides of an argument. However, given his bread and butter journalism is aimed at airline managers, I don't believe this will ever occur.

Angle of Attack
26th Dec 2011, 07:34
What is Sunrise?
Last time i watched TV was 4 years ago, now its only internet and DVD, I guess Sunrise is some sort of News show?

RENURPP
26th Dec 2011, 10:19
What is Sunrise?
Last time i watched TV was 4 years ago, now its only internet and DVD, I guess Sunrise is some sort of News show?some sort of news show, now that is funny. It's a show that promotes "news" based on the dreams f it's sponsors.
ANchored by a financial wannabe and politically correct and uneducated lady who appears to be popular with little old ladies who believe everything hey here on tv. They regularly employ experts like GT and Dick Smith to further their sponsors, the main one being BoganAir, point of view.

Not unlike thei opposition I guess "today show" on channel 9.

P51D
26th Dec 2011, 20:59
Well done GT and well deserved. Everyone's entitled to their view and although some think you show bias to QF, you certainly haven't when it's come to the disgrace Perth airport is. In fact you've been on this for ages and it now seems that the State Govt is finally realizing what a mess it is and that WA has been played off the break. Can't believe some of the venom towards you on Prune, Cactusjack for example, seems to hold a deep-seated grudge. Perhaps you could tell us your awards in the industry to see how you compare!

RENURPP
26th Dec 2011, 21:26
Tell us your awards in the industry to see how you compare

Are you kidding, look at some of the knobs that receive awards.
If AJ doesn't already have some he will soon.
THe CEO at the company I work for has at least one, god knows what he did to deserve it.
If you base competency on awards I think you need a serios rethink about quality.