PDA

View Full Version : Korean pilots leaving Korean?

thatwasclose
4th Dec 2011, 07:27
I see that emirates is heading over to Seoul for a recruitment roadshow. Are Korean pilots really leaving Korean? I thought Korean was short of pilots and thats why there is an ever increasing amount of expats flying there. Its a funny old world where Brazilians ( just an example ) go to Korea to replace Korean pilots who go to Emirates to replace Amercians who go to Korean. Or wait...any thoughts if Koreans are actually going to leave their national airline?

assanick
4th Dec 2011, 23:48
Are Korean pilots really leaving Korean?

yes, a lot of Korean pilots are leaving Korea right now. I am also attending the emirates roadshow too.

captjns
5th Dec 2011, 00:40
Are you saying that Native South Koreans are leaving for EK, or expats working for KAL leaving for EK?

fatbus
5th Dec 2011, 02:11
Both, many expats are looking to move on when their term is up.

assanick
6th Dec 2011, 04:00
Yes, A lot of Native Koreans, even expats are leaving Korea. Majority of em are going to China right now.

B737-3-9
6th Dec 2011, 05:04
Rumours says alot of people are leaving KE not Korea.
Most of the locals are heading towards China (closer to home) especially FO's I'm afraid that most of them would not make it to EK due to ELP :E

B737NG
6th Dec 2011, 06:49
I am not afraid if they do not make it due to ELP..... better stay away.

It is a trend since a while that Pilots of all gender and races leave KAL. Just wondering when the eye opener kicks in and the climate changes within and respect for the people who work there is truly implemented thru all ranks. From Ho to Cho....

urge
15th Dec 2011, 11:14
The Koreans are too arrogant to change until they start parking planes. The local Koreans will only go to China because it's easy for them to get home on their days off. Additionally, they will not stray too far from their Asian cuisine. 99% of the Korean pilots only eat Korean food. And Korean food is the most boring around. I love asian food but Korean food only has several types to pick from. Back on point: Koreans will not go to middle east or India or anywhere else. You might get the rare one but they always come back. Korean Air has 38 pilots that will be heading to china by the end of this month. The pay is way more in China. They can make 50-100% more depending upon where they go and actually get days off that they can request. The locals do not have a bid system or request for days off. Only the most senior Korean pilots on each fleet can ask for one special trip each month and that's it. Can't ask for weekends or any specific days off unless they work a deal with their scheduler.

KAL is considering pay raises but how much? Maybe another 1K/mo. Won't keep anybody. All the expats are looking to jump ship. They can't keep any expat F/Os because of their no upgrade policy.

The management's attitude stinks and it's a cultural thing. You aren't go to change them and they aren't going to flex unless something drastic occurs. They can't recruit anyone either and the bottom of the barrel is starting to come to KAL. (low PIC hours or minimal on type with barely any time and so on). They have all these great planes coming in the next 4 years (about 45 more jumbos) What are they going to do since they are flying everyone at max hours and they are now limiting the number of days off you can take. The commuting contract was the best in the industry until a month or two ago. They are now are asking some fleets to take the minimum days of leave and it's going to last for the next 6 months they say. Yeah right. I'm sorry but i'm not taking off only 6 or 7 days in a month to commute home. I left that piece of trash once that hit the fan. i'm in China myself and darn glad.

Non Zero
15th Dec 2011, 13:43
The Koreans are too arrogant to change until they start parking planes.
They really do not have a great reputation around the world either. Arrogant and ignorant but so far they didn't have to became expat to have a job!

99% of the Korean pilots only eat Korean food.
Korean cuisine is good but maaaan too much kimchi!

The pay is way more in China.
China market is by far the best payed pilot job in the all aviation showbiz, better than ME or India! And there are some good commuting options too.

The management's attitude stinks and it's a cultural thing.
Not much different in China ... they think they are the best and you are just an other an piece of ****z ... we didn't do a great job in the beginning teaching them how to threat us ... WTF!