PDA

View Full Version : Chronic Venous Insufficiency

rauldiaz
3rd Dec 2011, 18:29
Hi All,

Is chronic venous insufficiency disqualifying?
In my left leg there are many varicose veins.
Doppler USG examination revealed insufficiency of the great saphenous vein
as well as insufficiency of the accessory saphenous vein.
Doctors say the great saphenous vein has to be completely removed.

Do you know whether this surgery (removal of the saphenous veins) is disqualifying?
Anybody of you underwent this kind of surgery?
I'd be very grateful for your help!

Cheers,
Raul

DX Wombat
4th Dec 2011, 12:45
Please look at this poster's posting history. Something just does not ring true especially if his first post is to be believed.

rauldiaz
4th Dec 2011, 18:06
Thanks a lot lbfjrmd, does anybody know the European regulations about this condition and surgery?

@DX Wombat - I wasn't active for almost a year on this forum, but the problem with Mobitz2 has been solved. I really need help on the CVI now.

Best regards,
Raul

DX Wombat
4th Dec 2011, 22:39
Raul I am really pleased that you have replied and very glad that the Mobits Type 2 is sorted. The reason I thought things were not quite right was that you would ask a question then never bother to reply. Varicose veins are one of those painful but not usually lethal conditions. I haven't had them myself but I can't really imagine that they would do anything other than revoke your medical for a short period of time until you are fit to return to work. If you were in the UK I would suggest you talked to someone from the CAA's Medical Dept as the staff there are very helpful. Try talking to someone from your national equivalent. Good luck.

rauldiaz
6th Dec 2011, 12:06
DX Wombat - thanks a lot for quick reply (also thanks for your advices on Mobitz2!) The problem in my case is that the great saphenous vein has to be totally removed. I'm not quite sure this surgery won't disqualify my Class 1 Med. I couldn't find anything about CVI nor vein removal surgery in EUR-OPS 3.

Did anyone of you had this kind of surgery and how it influenced your medical cert?

homonculus
7th Dec 2011, 20:27
Don't worry removal of the long saphenous vein is simply the common operation and as said I suspect you will only be grounded for the period arising from the general anaesthetic and until you are mobile

Mind you the modern operation uses a laser via a one cm incision under local anaesthetic and more normal people go back to work the next day. This is often the province of radiologists whilst surgeons do the stripping operation so you may want to ask your general practitioner to confirm the laser operation is not feasible for you

gingernut
7th Dec 2011, 20:46
What are your symptoms ?

rauldiaz
8th Dec 2011, 11:41
@homonculus thanks a lot!

@gindernut: The only symptons are varicose veins in both of my legs, I don't feel pain in my legs, even after standing for a long time, but the doppler USG revealed chronic vein insufficiency, so the doctor claims it needs to be removed in order to prevent from forming cluts and so on.

homonculus
8th Dec 2011, 21:02
I think I know where gingernut is going

The NHS does not Normally operate on varicose veins just for cosmetic reasons and as I suspect you are not a 17year old female model you may want a second opinion from a vascular surgeon or radiologist as to whether surgery is needed

Surgery is undertaken for cosmetic reasons but this is a patients preference as opposed to patients who have pain or varicose ulcers

gingernut
9th Dec 2011, 08:01
Yeh, I think I'm trying to tease out the reasons for surgery. There could be good "clinical" grounds, eg pain, or is there a an increased risk of thrombo-embolitic events in pilots with venous deficiency? (I do not know the answer to that.)

What prompted the scan in the first place? Is there an alternative to surgery (support stockings??)

Sorry I'm not an expert, but it would certainly be worth exploring oher opinions, going armed with the right questions.:)

Emoclew
12th Dec 2011, 08:43
Raul,
My better half had veins stripped using incisions at the back and side of the knee. However the main motor nerve was bruised (luckily not cut) resulting in a "dropped foot" , off driving for 3 months, and a ankle brace/stiff boot for nearly nine months.
It was 99% normal after one year, but my advice is to discuss the risk of nerve damage prior to any op, and get the best surgeon money can buy!
Hope it all works out and good luck.

rauldiaz
21st Dec 2011, 15:03
Thanks a lot Emoclew. Yeah, it's a pretty standard surgery these times (I guess like pulling the tooth, but I realize that many complication may arise. Sorry to hear it happened to your spouse - I'll try to get a good surgeon. Cheers, Raul.