PDA

View Full Version : Quantas , Gatwick to Melbourne

LCA Bound
2nd Dec 2011, 09:39
A friend of mine is flying Gatwick to Melbourne next Wednesday with Quantas, so just a quick querie around type of aircraft as he has been told it is a non stop flight which suggests A380
Cheers

dwlpl
2nd Dec 2011, 09:50
They dont fly into Gatwick even (I think) on a codeshare.

Capetonian
2nd Dec 2011, 10:01
They dont fly into Gatwick even (I think) on a codeshare.

That is correct as there is no airline that I know of called Quantas. For the record QANTAS also don't fly LGW MEL, even on codeshare.

pull-up-terrain
2nd Dec 2011, 10:02
Secondly, Qantas doesnt do any non-stop flights into London (Heathrow). However Qantas does operate A380's and 744's to Melbourne via Singapore.

JSCL
2nd Dec 2011, 10:02
The only possible way I can see this happening is connecting with one of the arab airlines - there's NO direct flights from LGW to Australia as far as I'm aware.

Could be an Emirates with a short layover - these flights can sometimes be quicker than direct flights with a fuel stop-over from experience.

wiggy
2nd Dec 2011, 11:01
Second all of the above (apart from the OP:8).

It's certainly not a non-stop flight. Qantas don't operate into LGW. I can't find any evidence of QF code sharing into LGW (doesn't mean they don't do it but I can't find it)...but, FWIW, Emirates are selling tickets for LGW-DXB-MEL.

Cyrano
2nd Dec 2011, 11:41
Qantas, Gatwick, non-stop.

At least two of these pieces of information appear wrong.:ouch:

Are you sure it's Qantas, or is somebody looking at a two-letter code beginning with "Q", like ...oh, I don't know, "QR" :hmm:, and assuming wrongly that's Qantas?

Skipness One Echo
2nd Dec 2011, 15:04
Secondly, Qantas doesnt do any non-stop flights into London (Heathrow).

Well if we're all going to be smart alecs regarding the poor chap's question get it right. QANTAS do operate non stop flights to Heathrow.
LHR-SIN, LHR-HKG and LHR-BKK ! It would be pretty hard not to operate a non stop flight to at least one destination from the airfield of departure.

Sober Lark
2nd Dec 2011, 15:44
LCA, Where did your friend buy the ticket for this ultra long haul non stop flight and how much did he pay?

2J&D
2nd Dec 2011, 16:59
Are you sure it's Qantas, or is somebody looking at a two-letter code beginning with "Q", like ...oh, I don't know, "QR" http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif, and assuming wrongly that's Qantas?
Which would also be incorrect if you are suggesting his flight is with Qatar as they have not flown to LGW for a while now...

Dan Dare
2nd Dec 2011, 19:26
I could swear I saw Qantas at LGW fairly recently - yes, it was a Qantas 707, but it wasn't going to Oz, it went to Florida. Don't remember whether it was non-stop:8

Buster the Bear
2nd Dec 2011, 19:53
Grease is the word!

jabird
5th Dec 2011, 02:24
Now should we get this travolting threat back on track with fact or fiction?

Hypothetically, if QANTAS were to start non-stop LON-Oz flights, is PER at the very least not within range of a 777-300ER / A35x, with generous seating configuration?

And, considering the current trend of Asian airlines operating into LGW as they can't get slots at LHR, is it not at least within the range of possibility, if not perhaps probability (BA, Oneworld) that such flights might occur?

If your friend has a crystal ball, fast forward 10 years, who knows where Battlefield Skies will take us?

jabird
5th Dec 2011, 02:37
Was going to suggest a feed through another mainland European airport, but can't think of one that would still be badged QANTAS. No service LGW-CDG or FRA, nothing with Oneworld heading to Asia from MAD, MXP is just U2/ZB, no interlining, BA to AMS might get you on to various places in Asia and the on to MEL with KL + partners, but they are Skyteam, how would that link with QANTAS?

Don't see it.

Skystar320
5th Dec 2011, 09:51
Is Quantas a new airline?

cornishsimon
5th Dec 2011, 23:23
Now should we get this travolting threat back on track with fact or fiction?

Hypothetically, if QANTAS were to start non-stop LON-Oz flights, is PER at the very least not within range of a 777-300ER / A35x, with generous seating configuration?

And, considering the current trend of Asian airlines operating into LGW as they can't get slots at LHR, is it not at least within the range of possibility, if not perhaps probability (BA, Oneworld) that such flights might occur?

If your friend has a crystal ball, fast forward 10 years, who knows where Battlefield Skies will take us?

It would be lovely to see more BA operated kangaroo routes, back to the good old days of BA service to MEL, PER & SYD.

however i think its highly unlikely that will ever be seen again, and especially from Gatwick as BA tend to only send routes to Gatters that operate to mainly leisure destinations.

Personally i think BA are missing a trick, but thats just me !

cs

jabird
6th Dec 2011, 00:56
CS,

My reference was more to QF operating into LGW than BA. I would still have thought neither was likely. The Asian carriers coming into LGW from SEL, BJS & HKG are doing so because they presumably either cannot obtain new slots at LHR, or because the cost of doing so is too high. It is easier for a Oneworld carrier to justify the extra expense of using LHR, as BA provide so many onward connections.

As you quite rightly point out, BA's LGW network isn't just mainly leisure, but it is also largely point to point.

clipstone1
6th Dec 2011, 08:03
alas I think within a couple of years there will not be any BA or QF all the way through flight to Oz.

Once they both have the 380, the LHR/SIN/SYD will end up disjointed like the BKK has...

cornishsimon
6th Dec 2011, 08:08
CS,

My reference was more to QF operating into LGW than BA. I would still have thought neither was likely. The Asian carriers coming into LGW from SEL, BJS & HKG are doing so because they presumably either cannot obtain new slots at LHR, or because the cost of doing so is too high. It is easier for a Oneworld carrier to justify the extra expense of using LHR, as BA provide so many onward connections.

As you quite rightly point out, BA's LGW network isn't just mainly leisure, but it is also largely point to point.

Totally agree, however if and when BA adds Paris and MAD to the network from Gatwick i think that it would look heck of a lot better in terms of onward connections for the longhaul flying !

You need to keep in mind with BA at LGW that they might not operate many feeder flights, however they do offer connections via BE as well

OZ/ the East would work for the OW airlines ex LGW in addition to the flights from Heathrow in my opinion. However they could well acheive the same by adding LGW-FRA on BA with onward connections via QF from FRA

cs

bmaviscount
6th Dec 2011, 17:02
Reading in business traveller BA reducing Aus flights to a single daily flight via SIN from March and QF dropping Bangkok hub
I agree its sad to see a demise on this route; isn't there a window for a smaller plane operation to more destinations? aka open skies?

Cyrano
6th Dec 2011, 20:59
Reading in business traveller BA reducing Aus flights to a single daily flight via SIN from March and QF dropping Bangkok hub
I agree its sad to see a demise on this route; isn't there a window for a smaller plane operation to more destinations? aka open skies?

Surely what we're seeing is an effect of liberalisation, i.e. the Kangaroo route traffic is being hoovered up by (principally) the Gulf carriers? Hard to see how the economics of a smaller plane could compete with that.

clipstone1
9th Dec 2011, 12:03
unfortunately, it's very difficult as thirsty 747-400 operators to compete on a route (even though its pretty much always full) when the new middle eastern carriers don't have the legacy crew costs and largely pay nothing for fuel.