PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a long shot...anybody remember this flying flea prog.

magpienja
1st Dec 2011, 07:46
Must have been 10 maybe 15 years ago I watched and recorded it onto VHS at the time but it got recorded over unfortunately,

A very nice old semi documentary about a guy that built and was flying his Flying Flea from his very large garden/field somewhere in the UK,

It was filmed in the 30/40s I would think....I would love to see it again...if I only knew its name or had some more info about it,

Cant have been many programs on the box all about the flying Flea,

Anybody any ideas.

Nick.

spook
2nd Dec 2011, 07:31
If this is referring to Stephen Appleby's HM 14 then there is an article here 1935 | 2- 0152 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1935/1935%20-2-%200152.html)

There is also a snippet of film mentioning Mr. Appleby and M. Mignet here. The Original Flying Flea - YouTube

Hope this helps!

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Dec 2011, 09:25
Good stuff!

I've been privileged to (test) fly (solo) two flying flea derivatives: the HM1000 and the HM293, both fascinating aeroplanes - although by a large margin I found the tiny taildragging HM293 by far the most fun. On the other hand, several hours of trying and failing to prove than an HM1000 could spin were also extremely entertaining.

However I've yet to ever have a chance to fly an HM14, which has always fascinated me. I live in hope.

G

skwinty
2nd Dec 2011, 09:42
See thread with same name in private flying.