PDA

View Full Version : Herc overhead console

ex_matelot
30th Nov 2011, 17:30
I once had the pleasure of a jolly flight around the Falkland Islands in a Herc. I was in the rear jumpseat (under the bubble) for the landing. As soon as we touched down I noticed a Sgt, not one of the pilots got up and retarded 4 levers on the console in succesion.

Can anyone tell me what they were and why the Captain or Co-pilot did not do it?

Thanks

airborne_artist
30th Nov 2011, 18:11
What's the point of having staff if you still have to do all the work.

If the Army operated Albert it would be flown by a S/Sgt and a Corporal :E

OmegaV6
30th Nov 2011, 18:31
Herc overhead console
I once had the pleasure of a jolly flight around the Falkland Islands in a Herc. I was in the rear jumpseat (under the bubble) for the landing. As soon as we touched down I noticed a Sgt, not one of the pilots got up and retarded 4 levers on the console in succesion.

Can anyone tell me what they were and why the Captain or Co-pilot did not do it?

Thanks

You have me confused ... in just under 10,000 hours on the Hercules I don't remember any levers on the overhead console and I looked at it many, many times ...... I also don't remember anyone "getting up" as soon as touch down occurred .. mostly we were hanging on tight as the 2-winged master race put all 4 throttles to max reverse simultaneously - Ok sometimes in symetrical pairs - any other action being met by a swift response from myself .... no "levers" ever moved "in succession" at that point !!!

Kreuger flap
30th Nov 2011, 18:47
Did you happen to notice if the Sgt was there when you took off or did he suddenly appear out of nowhere. Also did he have a badge on his chest with the letter "E" on it?

ex_matelot
30th Nov 2011, 18:52
I'm pretty certain it was a Herc - the arse end lowered in flight and everything. There were definitely 4 levers of some sort on the overhead panel.

It was 2001 and it was an outbound RAF squadron who hosted the flight.
What other type of aircraft could it have been?

Kreuger flap
30th Nov 2011, 19:14
Did it have 4 propellers and was there a strong smell of piss in one corner of the flight deck?

ex_matelot
30th Nov 2011, 19:17
Yes, and the smell of piss came from the Sgt.

Just looked on google images - the levers are on the overhead console with black & yellow hatching behind them.

Top Bunk Tester
30th Nov 2011, 19:20
Did it go very quiet after he pulled them? :O Closely followed by everyone running away?

ex_matelot
30th Nov 2011, 19:39
On second thoughts - Think I'll get a better answer if I ask on Arrse - more real pilots there.

;)

oooeuuuurrrrrggghhhh !

Kreuger flap
30th Nov 2011, 19:44
Think I'll get a better answer if I ask on Arrse

Good luck with that one fella.

ex_matelot
30th Nov 2011, 20:11
Cheers, thanks!

Want me to tell you all the answer when I find out? - It may make you look good if anyone else asks a related question!

;)

taxydual
30th Nov 2011, 20:11
Oh for God's sake!!

It's easy.

Turning off the oven containing the crew pies.

ex_matelot
30th Nov 2011, 20:13
Cheers Taxy! That explains it!

Thanks!

Tea White Zero
30th Nov 2011, 21:00
oh come guys be nice and put him out of his misery with the T-Handles!....

or were they to disarm the top secret afterburners and lasers???:eek: oops just let the cat out of the bag!:O

TWZ

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2011, 21:25
Now real aircraft had real sergeants to pull real levers.

As the trusty bus from 1066 glided gracefully over the boundary fence the pilot, both hands manfully engaged on the control wheel, would order "Slow Cuts" where upon the paid help in the engine room would respond with "Slow Cut" and things got quieter.

sycamore
1st Dec 2011, 10:10
Was it Aden ,or Gan, a Hastings on approach got a bit low and slow on short Finals,the Captain called the Eng (facing backwards and expecting `slow cut`) .`` Take-off Power`,so the Eng did...and they all got very wet...

glojo
2nd Dec 2011, 14:10
The mystery has been solved.

On a different thread a video has been posted which demonstrates this lever\levers being operated

Here we go just look at them 32 seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEkYqL9n7vo&feature=youtu.be) into the footage.

MFC_Fly
2nd Dec 2011, 14:19
What a top video - thanks for posting the link :ok:

Top Bunk Tester
2nd Dec 2011, 14:40
Still can't see any levers ......

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad168/Gadget_Meister/c131_2.jpg

Kreuger flap
2nd Dec 2011, 14:53
If you look closely you can see the steam coming from the working parts of that panel.

Top Bunk Tester
2nd Dec 2011, 14:57
'Tis a thing of beauty and should be reverred by all that gaze upon it :)

Kreuger flap
2nd Dec 2011, 15:21
If you pop your post code into the link provided you will be able to find your nearest Specsavers.

Specsavers Opticians - Designer Glasses, Sunglasses, Contact Lenses & Eyecare. (http://www.specsavers.co.uk/stores/full-store-list/)

Top Bunk Tester
2nd Dec 2011, 16:15
We used to burn heretics like you at the stake, at an old secret Wilts airbase :O

Kreuger flap
2nd Dec 2011, 16:31
Well I guess you had to find the fuel from somewhere to fire the boilers on the "K".

Tell me why does everybody now find it necessary to refer to an RAF Airfrield as that "secret airbase in......"? Why not just say RAF Lyneham or wherever?

NutLoose
2nd Dec 2011, 20:14
I take it he is referring to the fire handles? Would seem odd pulling them.

Skytrucker
2nd Dec 2011, 21:21
Didn't the Herc have 4 large lever looking switches just behind the throttles on the centre console. Automatic engine trimming system. Would they be moved after landing?

Chugalug2
3rd Dec 2011, 13:02
PN:
As the trusty bus from 1066 glided gracefully over the boundary fence the pilot, both hands manfully engaged on the control wheel, would order "Slow Cuts" where upon the paid help in the engine room would respond with "Slow Cut" and things got quieter.
Perhaps, but if said manful pilot called "Cut" instead, things could get anything other than quieter as anything up to 72,000lbs of Hastings fell out of the sky onto hopefully all three points. The resulting crunch could perhaps be justified with the words "Tactical Landing", and anyway if you could walk away from it....

Pontius Navigator
3rd Dec 2011, 14:27
Well I guess you had to find the fuel from somewhere to fire the boilers on the "K".

Tell me why does everybody now find it necessary to refer to an RAF Airfrield as that "secret airbase in......"? Why not just say RAF Lyneham or wherever?

Irony, Sir, irony. There used to be 22 airfields in Wiltshire. Now there are still some but the 'former secret airbase . . . ' is used as opposed to 'really really secret airbase' which is still functioning not to mention the secret green job airfields.

isaneng
3rd Dec 2011, 18:04
Wasn't the 'secret airbase' line a quote from an MOD press release circa GW1?

APG63
3rd Dec 2011, 18:28
Poor guy only asked a question. Love the responses, though. And the associated threads. Remind me NEVER to ask a question about Hers around here. But I can probably live with that.

Keep it coming!

P6 Driver
3rd Dec 2011, 20:19
One moral of the story might be;

Ask the crew while you are still on board

:rolleyes:

Photoplanet
3rd Dec 2011, 23:52
OMEGAV6 "You have me confused ... in just under 10,000 hours on the Hercules I don't remember any levers on the overhead console and I looked at it many, many times ...... I also don't remember anyone "getting up" as soon as touch down occurred .. mostly we were hanging on tight as the 2-winged master race put all 4 throttles to max reverse simultaneously - Ok sometimes in symetrical pairs - any other action being met by a swift response from myself .... no "levers" ever moved "in succession" at that point !!! "

I recall one route, can't exactly rememeber, but it could have been Grosetto, Tuscany.. As we approached the runway exit, I assume the plan was to shut down the outboard pair, as was common practice (K)... For some reason, the 2 winged master race representative on duty that day decided to shut down all 4 engines just before runway departure, hence the GTC was off, and we trundled off the runway in relative silence, before normal service was resumed...

taxydual
4th Dec 2011, 00:07
The 4 fiddley lever things may be described in here

Google (http://www.google.co.uk/#pq=c-130+cockpit+layout&hl=en&sugexp=pfwe&cp=21&gs_id=2z&xhr=t&q=c-130+engineers+panel&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=c-130+engineers+panel&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&fp=1&biw=1280&bih=817&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&cad=b)

5th one down, gouge.mabrooks.com/Section1.doc

SRENNAPS
4th Dec 2011, 06:47
No levers, but here is the Sgt singing a song.

C-130 Flight Engineer Song - YouTube

ORAC
4th Dec 2011, 07:52
If you look closely you can see the steam coming from the working parts of that panel. Smoke.

All electrics work using smoke. Which is why they stop working when the smoke escapes. :8