PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Window Tiles and Taskbar

Tosh McCaber
30th Nov 2011, 14:31
My computer, running Windows 7, has developed two weird problems-

1) I used to be able to leave a tiled window (that is, after pressing the little rectangle next to the x at the top right hand corner) open and carry on working on it, no matter that I maybe already had a fully opened window on screen. Now, bringing up a tiled window, it disappears behind any open fully maximised windows after a second or two, unless I’m fast enough to get the cursor into the little rectangle to maximise it.

2) My other problem is that I have the task bar on my screen at the right hand side. To my best recollection, when typing on the keyboard on say, Word, it didn’t matter where the mouse cursor had last stopped. However, I now find that, if I inadvertently leave the mouse cursor in the area of the task bar, I am not able to carry on typing- I lose communication between mouse and screen.

Has anyone any advice??

Thanks.

Spurlash2
30th Nov 2011, 18:02
...a laptop/notebook or desktop?

Tosh McCaber
30th Nov 2011, 21:22
It's a desktop

Spurlash2
30th Nov 2011, 22:32
Tosh,

1. Your computer is fine. (Usual caveats apply)
2. What is your definition of a 'Tiled Window'?
3. Do you have several programmes, or instances of a particular programme open at one time?

Without being next to you to see how you operate, it is difficult to diagnose your snagette.

If you have Word, Excel and Paint open, for example, they will be highlighted on the task bar. When a program is started, the application icon on the taskbar appears with a box around it. Multiple open windows appear grouped.

If Aero is enabled, moving the mouse over an application icon that is open will preview the window content straight from the taskbar. Lastly, right-clicking on application icon will pop up Jump Lists.

As to the wandering cursor, are you sure that you are not inadvertantly clicking 'off' somewhere?

PM me and I can send more info that you may find useful.

Tosh McCaber
6th Dec 2011, 13:20
Spurlash2,

Just checking that you received my last PM today?

Tosh McCaber
7th Dec 2011, 15:04
I've just cracked the problem! Went to Control Panel/ Ease of Access Center/ Make the Mouse Easier to Use/ Make it Easier to Manage Windows. “Activate a Window by Hovering Over It With A Mouse” was ticked (I don’t know how!) Unticked it, and my windows and mouse actions are back to normal. Why anyone would ever choose this option really beats me!

Thanks for your prior help, Spurlash2.