PDA

View Full Version : Brian Wetless

Ultralights
30th Nov 2011, 06:06
Brian was the CFI at Sydney Airways - Bankstown Airport, he trained me from Ab initio up to CPL in VH-DXF and SVW.
He passed away on Sat and his Funeral is on Fri 2 Dec 2011. Brian taught many people to fly and many site members may know him well.

Funeral Details are at: Brian Joseph John Wetless (1931 - 2011) - Funeral and Death Notice, Engadine, Australia (http://www.heavenaddress.com/funeral-notice/Brian-Joseph-John-Wetless/400687/obituary.aspx)

If you need more details, please call Bill Abela on 0412 751001.

:(

Kharon
30th Nov 2011, 06:54
God speed and tailwinds Brian. Thank you, for everything beaten into a young, thick wooden head.

My deepest and most sincere condolences to his family.

Super Cecil
30th Nov 2011, 09:16
Brian ever work for Air Ag?

mates rates
1st Dec 2011, 10:23
Yes it is the same one who worked out of Guyra.He once claimed jokingly to be the first person in Guyra to have an electric blanket for the winter.A gentleman,a shy man,humble,and a bloody good operator.RIP Brian

boaccomet4
1st Dec 2011, 13:56
I did my instructor rating with Brian and then went on to become a flight instructor with Brian. Brian's method was to teach us to the standard of the WW2 Flight Instructors Manual. He gave each of us a cassette copy of the patter which required much practice to co- ordinatiate it with each flying sequence. Spitting out the patter and co- ordinating the flying sequence was a challenge. Whatever sequence Brian demonstrated to you left you in awe.For instance, for Straight and level or turns, steep turns etc. The VSI acted is if someone had superglued it to the zero. I have never seen anyone manipulate the controls of an aircraft to such precision.Brian maintained an active intersted in those of us who became airline pilots etc. Brian's passion was also for military aircraft and in particular the Mustang. He used to demonstrate them and had a true friend in Col Paye. I spoke to his partner today and she is very much truamatised by his passing. Brian's passions were to be women, flying and sax (jazz). See you in the next life Brian.

Ultralights
2nd Dec 2011, 07:47
yep, Brians instructing style rubbed off on me as well, and i teach the same way he taught me.. i can still hear him in my head saying, get your head out the window, the enemy is everywhere. and i have no problem pegging the VSI on 0. :ok: i was very fortunate to be taught by Brian and Jack Curtis. something i will be eternally grateful for, god speed. :ok:

mates rates
2nd Dec 2011, 08:12
boaccomet4
I too was trained by Brian the same way and concur fully with your expressions.I thought of Brian a few years ago when I picked up a CASA Flight Instructor Manual and read on page 2 "no set patter is provided" & "parrot like repetition is undesirable".
I can see Brian now,shaking his head,rolling his eyes whilst chewing his gum.He was the TRUE professional and those of us who remember him are poorer for his passing.See you in the next life mate.

Nulli Secundus
3rd Dec 2011, 04:39
Vale Brian.

I was Brian's last instructor before Sydney Airways was sold. We had the best times. When the weather was down and the day's flying had been canceled, old Brian would put the kettle on and proudly proclaim he was going to enjoy a 'biccie layered with axle grease' (butter) & before long you'd be savouring some amazing stories from Brian's past. Stories of ag flying in Cessna 180's, of how he got a job in airlines in PNG but realised it wasn't for him, of what it was like to fly the Spitfire and the Mustang, of how he got a lightning strike from target towing in the Mustang. You learnt so much from him - most of all what will keep you safe and what you will be able to get away with safely.

Brian was intuitive. He genuinely liked people and sincerely wanted the best for you, especially if you had aspirations of a career in aviation. He was practical and smart - he knew how to teach and would always keep it simple. He wasn't big on briefings or whiteboard flying, but rather getting in the aircraft and "make the aircraft go where you want it to". He once told me there was almost no one he was not able to teach how to fly.

He was a gentle, unassuming man & I will always remember with a smile his Hawaian shirts, shorts and sandalls during the summer. He was sometimes a little eccentric and well ahead of his time. In the back of the hangar was a Cherokee fuselage Brian was keeping to develop a safety parachute system for light aircraft. Whilst time & health got away from him, he resolved to one day test it himself by blowing off the wing of the test aircraft and floating gently to the ground.

Brian was a member of that early breed of Bankstown (Australian) aviators who commanded respect from the regulator. They trusted him and he respected them. If he took issue with the "Department" he'd pick the phone up and say so, as probably most of the airfield elders could and would do. He kept the heritage alive and would happily recount his own flying training and how much he had gained from post WWII instructors.

Brian was a window to aviation history and a privelege to have known. A man who made a huge contribution to aviation in Australia, all in his own small way.

Thanks Brian for all the great memories and opening that first door in my aviation career.

Super Cecil
3rd Dec 2011, 09:49
Back in the olden days I'm sure I heard Brian bought the 109G from the marshal collection, tried but failed with CASA or DCA or DOT to get it flying.

DTE
21st Dec 2011, 20:33
Rest in Peace, Brian.

Brian kindly allowed my father to teach me to fly using Sydney Airways aircraft many years ago. Dad had instructed at Bankstown after his RAAF days and used to fly the Mustang at Illawarra, so that's where they must have crossed paths. Brian conducted my restricted, unrestricted and, I think, NVFR test. (I'll have to check the logbook for the last one)

My memories are so similar to those already circulating. A forthright manner, with a gentle edge. Those shorts and shirts in summer on a hot day and if the weather was not up to scratch, then there was always time for a cuppa. A small office and hangar, hand written receipts and a cash tin with a few aeroplanes tied down outside. It was so simple then.

You'll be missed. Fair skies Brian.