PDA

View Full Version : Alitalia. Jumpseating?

debs
29th Nov 2011, 15:26
HI all,

Im a Spanish pilot currently flying in Greece 4 Olympic. In my commuting have always relied on Iberia to take me as extra crew from-to Madrid, home.

HOwever, frequencies have been reduced, and this has killed me.

My best shot is now via Fiumicino with Alitalia.

Does Alitalia take extra crews / jumpseat, or do they only accept pilots with tickets, at least a zed? If so, any specific advice (clothing, protocol,...,)

Any responses mostly appreciated.

Thanks!!

main_dog
29th Nov 2011, 22:10
Do introduce yourself to the senior flight attendant as you board (known as "responsabile"), and normally you will be invited to turn left and also introduce yourself to the pilots unless they're too busy (I know this would be unusual in other airlines but it is expected in AZ).

Once upon a time you would have had better-than-even chances of an upgrade, but unfortunately under the new management a threatening letter was sent to all AZ crew prohibiting ad hoc upgrades. :ouch:

Finally, don't forget to list prior to flying: AZ will no longer issue you a boarding card unless you are listed on that flight, even for medium haul :(

MD

taita
30th Nov 2011, 07:13
what are they politely saying is that NO, you will never get a ride from AZ , no ticket (id or whatever ) no ride.
It's not like in spain where if you hold a airline identification card you are board with no problem.
i'm very sorry but in Italy none is doing that because the management(s) will fire you if you make a favor to a pilot/cabincrew.
i personally did it in catania for an AZ crewmember that was late for showup in fco and risk to be fired for that , and didn't care for all , but i wont suggest anybody to do so!
sorry buddy
lo siento mucho

debs
30th Nov 2011, 09:04
Thank you all, how have times changed eh?

Aviation sucks, management has made very sure of that.

Good health and luck. Ciao

bufe01
1st Dec 2011, 11:19
+39 (0)6 65859864
Mon-Fry 0900-2000
Sat&Sun 09001700
This is the number for listing, it is imperative you list beforehand !
I would be surprised if they speak any english but you may get away with spanish !
Request the booking reference code, sometimes they don't give it to you; I showed up at FCO a few times and the AZ girl couldn't find my listing unless I gave her the code.
Tell them who you are at the check in and ask for a jumpseat should the flight be full.
Official policy says you have to show up 2 hrs ahead for an international flight or you won't be granted a seat; sometimes\somewhere\someone (notably LHR ground staff) they give their own interpretation and will not take you but they are much better in FCO.
There is probably a dedicated AZ staff travel desk, I know there is one at T5 near the VAT refund desk and it operates only in the morning.
Good luck fellow commuter