PDA

View Full Version : Instructing on a class 2 medical

mrmum
29th Nov 2011, 00:27
LASORS Section H
Remuneration
The holder of an instructor rating who has a valid professional pilot licence with appropriate valid ratings and a valid JAR-FCL class 1 Medical Certificate may receive payment for giving flight instruction.
The holder of an instructor rating who has a valid private pilot licence (or is exercising the private privileges of a professional pilot licence) with appropriate valid ratings and valid medical certificate may instruct but cannot
receive payment for this service.
Medical Requirements
An applicant for a JAR-FCL FI(A) shall hold a valid JAR-FCL Medical Certificate appropriate to the licence held and the privileges being exercised.
So, am I correct in interpreting this as meaning an instructor holding a UK CPL(A) with a class 1 medical, could go past the exp. date of the medical for class 1 privileges, let it run as a class 2 and exercise only the PPL privileges of the CPL, so therefore continue instructing without being paid? Or is it, you've got a CPL, so you must have a class 1?

Talkdownman
29th Nov 2011, 07:45
So, am I correct in interpreting this as meaning an instructor holding a UK CPL(A) with a class 1 medical, could go past the exp. date of the medical for class 1 privileges, let it run as a class 2 and exercise only the PPL privileges of the CPL, so therefore continue instructing without being paid?
Yes.

CPL has embedded PPL privileges.
Class 1 medical has embedded Class 2 Medical. (Without checking ISTR there is a statement to that effect on the Class 1 certificate.)
If you have CPL + FI + Class 1 and you allow your Class 1 to expire you may continue to exercise the privileges of the PPL + FI until your Class 2 expires.
From LASORS H PPL + FI currently means no remuneration for FI.
Remuneration used to be permitted for PPL + FI pre-1988 in a 'club environment'. Experts, is there not a plan for this to be restored?

Genghis the Engineer
29th Nov 2011, 08:21
Going slightly further, there are in fact three different expiry dates for your class 1 medical, depending upon what you want to do with it.

(1) Shortest expiry date, for single pilot public transport
(2) Middle expiry date, for other remunerated flying (e.g. instruction)
(3) Longest expiry date, for PPL privileges (class 2 in other words).

For me, for example, aged 41 and having done my last medical a few weeks ago, slightly before it expired, I have...

Last Class 1 medical: 18/11/2011 Expires: 29 November 2012
Expires for single pilot air transport operations: 29 May 2012
Class 2 medical privileges Expires: 29 November 2013

(Courtesy of the Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of such stuff).

G

Whopity
29th Nov 2011, 08:58
As of 8th April 2012 you will be able to continue on your Class 2 and be remunerated.

The first and 2nd expiry date should always coincide and in some cases, the first one is complete nonsense as the holder may actually be too old to exercise the stated privilege. More dysfunctional programming!

Genghis the Engineer
29th Nov 2011, 09:29
The first and 2nd expiry date should always coincide and in some cases, the first one is complete nonsense as the holder may actually be too old to exercise the stated privilege. More dysfunctional programming!

Quoting the certificate I hold:

Class 1 Single Pilot air transport operations carrying passengers: Under 40 - 12 months, 40 plus - 6 months

Class 1 Other commercial operations: Under 60 - 12 months, 60 plus - 6 months.

So, for anybody aged between 40-60, which is probably a large proportion of us, the validity is 12 months for "other commercial" and 6 months for single pilot commercial pax carrying.

G