PDA

View Full Version : APD and Government aviation policy

stephenkeane
28th Nov 2011, 19:18
I have written to my MP Greg Knight, to get him to explain the Governments current aviation policy. Which to me consists of no airport expansions until 20 whenever. An increase in Air Passenger duty, which so outraged Willie Walsh in Michael O'Leary they appeared on the same news clip together! Germany are about to complete a new runway in Frankfurt and a completely new airport in Berlin. The UK seems to have a complete luddite outlook, I presume to garnish votes from the green lobby. All the jobs in aviation in the UK this attitude will cost doesn't bear thinking about. Looks like in the future we will have to move abroad to keep out jobs. I will let you know wht his reply is. Some fob off no doubt.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wibble.gif

PAXboy
29th Nov 2011, 01:30
stephenkeane Welcome aboard our luxury cabin.

It will be great to learn what reply you get not least if we discover that they do HAVE an aviation policy. Many people who are involved with, or interested in UK aviation, do not believe that any such policy exists.

Currently, they have two policies which are applied to everything and anything:

Try not to upset the people who vote for us or might vote for us and that means don't upset ANY newspaper.
Get as much money as possible - from any source at any time.

The SSK
29th Nov 2011, 08:21
I attended a high level aviation event in September, which was addressed by Philip Hammond, then Secretary of State for Transport (subsequently promoted, of course).

So – his words not mine – HMG do not have an aviation policy. They are developing a ‘draft strategy document’ for release early in the New Year, with a final text due in 2013. So until then they will just carry on making it up as they go along.

Ancient Observer
29th Nov 2011, 10:52
No Government has had an Aviation policy for many years. Not since they sold off BAA et al.
Alistair Darling tried, but ripped up what he had written as soon as he got to the Treasury. (Who remembers runway 2 at Stansted, a poss runway 2 at lgw,and runway 3 at lhr??)
The main reason is that the DfT is seen by ambitious Civil servants as a career graveyard. The CS know that a move to the DfT is the end of their careers. The only place with a worse collection of CS is the Min of Ag., or whatever they call it now.
If a fast track civil servant gets anywhere near the DfT, they quickly come off the track - or leave, sharpish.

Ditto with Ministers. they are only at the DfT to either launch themselves in to a better job, or into political oblivion.

Until this changes, forget any notion of a National Aviation strategy.

PAXboy
29th Nov 2011, 14:22
Thanks The SSK, VERY interesting. Of course, a final text in 2013 and an election possible in 2014 and certainly by 2015 = no action can be taken in that timescale. Another smart political move. :(

Mr Mac
29th Nov 2011, 17:13
I beleive that govt policy is very much centered on high speed rail within UK and even in Europe so aviation is not that high on the agenda, as well as having variouse issues with Green agenda attached to it (APD good for tax raising though if you are politician). As our political masters all work out of London the Channel tunnel makes this quite logical for them and those who live in the SE. However for the rest of the country high speed rail is just not an option for the forseable future, and even when built journey times via SE England will still be longer than flying.
Do we not all remember when the tunnel was being sold to us how we were going to get Night Sleepers from the North of England / Scotland to Europe (Rolling stock now in Canada I beleive) and how we will commute Manchester to Paris via the Channel Tunnel for example. British govt,s have never had a joined up transport policy as they take too long to put together for politicians who just love to tinker, and do not return quick enough profits for UK banks so little intrest there either. :ugh:

Small rant over time for G&T !