PDA

View Full Version : squippers

bazza7548
28th Nov 2011, 14:44
Hi Guys,

does anyone know who services Bond or Scotia helicopters aircrew equipment??

Cant find this info anywhere on the net!

cheers guys

grounded27
28th Nov 2011, 16:29
Off topic. Have to ask what "squippers" are or what the term means. I can pick up on most slang but this went clear over my head.

bazza7548
28th Nov 2011, 17:15
it's RAF slang for Survival Equipment Fitters. we do all the Aircrew flying equuipment also life rafts, parachutes etc.
We are also called safetyquippers and more often not rude names by other RAF trades if theres been a loose articile missing off a helmet post flight!!!

grounded27
28th Nov 2011, 20:11
Thanks for the info, the FAA has a special license just for packing parachutes as well.

ukv1145
30th Nov 2011, 15:21
Most of the crew equipment SAR wise is serviced in house by trained crewmen. Larger items (liferafts etc) are serviced externally by the OEM or an approved company (eg survival1).

Shell Management
30th Nov 2011, 19:21
Wrong. Crewmen can't do equipment maintenance. That has to be done under an EASA 145 Category C approval

Avionker
30th Nov 2011, 21:15
And which ATA chapter is "crew equipment SAR wise" covered by then?

morton
1st Dec 2011, 15:31
ATA 23 & 25 covers pretty much all of it.
Have a look through this
http://av-info.faa.gov/sdrx/documents/JASC_Code.pdf

ukv1145
1st Dec 2011, 16:29
I can assure you that crew personal equipment such as life jackets, QRB's, harnesses, strops etc (I took this to be the 'aircrew equipment' referred to by the OP) are quite legally serviced by skilled and trained aircrewmen. They hold the appropriate engineering authorisation and use the properly controlled and amended CMM's for each item. These are detailed on the company capability list.

SM please check your facts before flaming a post and avionker most of the CMM's do have ATA25 chapter numbers (Equipment and Furnishings in case you need to look it up). Was simply answering the O/P's query, did not expect to be knocked for that!

'Aircraft' as opposed to crewmen SE is of course serviced using the appropriately authorised outfits.

Avionker
1st Dec 2011, 19:36
Morton, I'm quite aware of Chapters 23 and 25 thank you, and indeed the rest of them.

ukv1145 I certainly wasn't having a go at you, my question was aimed at SM and his usual condescending tone.

I would have suspected that role equipment would not in fact be regarded as part of the aircraft. A crew life jacket, flying helmet, immersion suit etc are most certainly not. Nothing you have listed "crew personal equipment such as life jackets, QRB's, harnesses, strops etc" seems to me to be an aircraft component, or even fall under ATA 25-60 or 25-61.

This was why i wanted SM to come up with "the goods" so to speak, to back up his comment.

As an aside, I was told that the winchmen on the offshore based SAR helicopters in the Norwegian sector are all actually EASA B1/2 licence holders. They fly them and fix them.

Shell Management
1st Dec 2011, 20:06
Don't show you ignorance with comments on crew LSJs and suits not being a/c equiouipment. There are TSOs, Glad you agree that authorised engineers maintain them

Avionker
1st Dec 2011, 20:15
So a crew immersion suit is allocated to a particular aircraft is it? Fitment and removal of the suit to the aircraft is recorded in the tech log is it?

When Capt Bloggs arrives in work he checks to see which aircraft he's flying and then goes and puts on the immersion suit allocated to the right hand seat of helicopter G-PRAT does he?

Or does he go to a locker room and put on the immersion suit which is issued to Capt Bloggs as an item of personal survival equipment?

ukv1145
2nd Dec 2011, 11:52
Apologies avionker, SM's comments are annoying to say the least.

SM I did not say that engineers service the SE - it is as I stated before qualified Aircrewmen. Lifejackets are not allocated to aircraft as Avionker patiently explains - are you saying personal items such as headsets and helmets should be individual to a particular position in an aircraft - I think not!
For your info headsets can be TSO'd so just because an item has a TSO it does not need to be allocated as a pice of aircraft equipment.

If you are really interested CHC, Bond Offshore an BHL all have Part145 C6 (Equipment) approvals. I believe BHL at least have their own SE bay where liferafts and aircraft floats etc can be serviced and packed.

hval
5th Dec 2011, 14:15
Avionker,
Some survival equipment is not allocated to a specific aircraft.

Shell Management,
I have certainly flown on aircraft where I , and those that worked with me, wore survival equipment that was not allocated to an aircraft. If your name reflects who you were/ are employed by, then you should be aware of that.

Shell management, do you have to be so harsh/ rude?

Hval