PDA

View Full Version : EASA or FAA A&P

mikeinbim
27th Nov 2011, 20:58
Hi, just need a little advice. I currently haven't started any training, nor do I have any experience in engineering. I live in Barbados, which has a fairly small aviation industry and thus limited demand for mechanics/ engineers, and I'll most likely have to leave Barbados for a job.
My question is, which licence should I get training towards, EASA or FAA A&P? My understanding is that the FAA licence doesn't really carry much weight outside the US. Is that true?
If I do get the FAA licence, how difficult will it be to get an EASA B1? (I know there is no immediate conversion between the two)
Would having FAA help in anyway in getting a job in Europe, especially England?
Finally, how recognized is the Canadian licence, especially in the UK?

Thanks

grounded27
27th Nov 2011, 22:06
Living in the islands, I would think there are an abundance of N-reg aircraft flying there. I could be wrong, would be best to investigate what airlines dominate the country's/islands you could work in. Is it easy for you to immigrate to the EU?

grounded27
27th Nov 2011, 22:09
Another thing if you can get a student visa there is/ was a very inexpensive FAA AMT course in Miami (Baker aviation).

mikeinbim
27th Nov 2011, 23:40
Here in Barbados, we have three main regional airlines with bases or hubs- LIAT, Redjet and Caribbean Airlines. Other than that, we get AA, Jetblue, Air Canada, Westjet, Virgin, BA and other UK charter airlines. And a few private flights come to the island, but I've actually never seen them maintained on the ground! (guess I'm there at the wrong time)
I've spent some time in England, and love the place, so would not mind living there.
I'm actually investigating Baker as my main option, but got worried when I read about FAA A&P not having the same 'respect' as EASA or the Canadian licences

cedgz
28th Nov 2011, 00:42
you want to work on N reg aircraft, go for A&P
for C reg, canadian licence
for the rest of the world(almost) easa

cedgz
28th Nov 2011, 00:47
and also, don't look at the respect what every licence could give you, look at the potential job opportunity and money
take easa first and later a&p(easy to have)

grounded27
28th Nov 2011, 03:24
The man lives a boat ride from Florida. Ca And the US probably provide the most flights. Hey another question (if you want to stay in the islands), is it easy to convert AMT to the local CAA in Barbados etc? I remember hearing of (20 years back) contracts in Jamaica on Air Jamaica with FAA cert's. Lived in Kingston for about 6 mos when I was a kid, man you will regret leaving the sweet smell of the salty water. The smell and taste of festival bread and fresh fry-ed fish on hellshire beach still linger in my mind.

mikeinbim
29th Nov 2011, 11:13
I guess the real question is...how responsive will UK airlines be to hiring someone with a FAA licence?

spannersatcx
29th Nov 2011, 14:58
how responsive will UK airlines be to hiring someone with a FAA licence? nil, as you require an EASA licence for UK/Europe.

mikeinbim
29th Nov 2011, 18:00
another question. Hypothetically, let's say I really don't care, and am willing to work with any airline in any country. Which is the best licence to get?

grounded27
29th Nov 2011, 21:52
and am willing to work with any airline in any country

Man that is an aviation attitude, the tough part is finding the country with the best opportunities that you can easily immigrate to.

mikeinbim
30th Nov 2011, 00:54
and to ask yet another question.
What if I get the FAA licence after a 2.5 year program at a FAA approved school.Would I be able to use the 2.5 years experience gained at that school as experience to apply for an EASA licence?

Capot
30th Nov 2011, 16:02
You need to read Part 66.A.30, and the AMC and GM for that; here is a relevant extract, but it's not the whole story..

GM 66.A.30(a) Basic knowledge requirements
Maintenance experience on operating aircraft means the experience of being involved in maintenance tasks on aircraft which are being operated by airlines, air taxi organisations, etc. The point being to gain sufficient experience in the environment of commercial maintenance as opposed to only the training school environment. Such experience may be combined with approved training so that periods of training can be intermixed with periods of experience rather like the apprenticeship.I would say that this is a "No" to your question, because a school is not an operational working environment, but nothing in EASA is certain. Someone else may know.

Why they head it "Basic Knowledge Requirements" and then talk about experience requirements is beyond me. EASA's documentation is just appalling in English, and when you look at what's written in French, to name but one of the other languages, it is often hilarious. Until it causes an accident.

You might even be able to claim to be a "skilled worker" and reduce the experience requirement to 3 years, if you train and study for, and get, an A&P.

cedgz
30th Nov 2011, 23:46
and to ask yet another question.
What if I get the FAA licence after a 2.5 year program at a FAA approved school.Would I be able to use the 2.5 years experience gained at that school as experience to apply for an EASA licence?

if you work on N reg aircrafts and non EU reg aircrafts, you need 5 years of work to get your easa B1 and/or B2 instead of 3 years
where you live it will be easier to go for an a&p school, and while working after you finished your a&p you take the exams for an easa B1 and/or 2
and after five years of experience you can ask for your easa licence with your task records of five years work signed by an faa inspector(if you live in the us it will be easier than when you live outside of the us, our guys at work get them signed by the faa inspectors that come over to do audits)
good luck and welcome in the aviation industry(a career you don't choose for the money,respect, honour, but a career you choose as a total aviation fan dingo that loves to get soaked by skydroll,fuel, oil, working in the cold,rain, wind,... and this to get the airplane out on time in an airworthy condition)
have fun, we all do

mikeinbim
24th Dec 2011, 21:54
Back again with another question. What is the cost of type rating like and at what facility? I've seen some facilities, but few (if any) have prices, so I'm still no better off. I'm talking about type ratings for 777-200/300, 747-400, 767, 737, A320 and other popular aircraft.

easaman
25th Dec 2011, 14:04
@ mikeinbim (http://www.pprune.org/members/372218-mikeinbim)
Why don't you go for the FAA A&P in Miami and get the EASA part 66 licence at the same time.
Some of my students are doing this.
When they are studying for the Airframe exam, they are taking e.g. module 11 in Orlando,
and when they are studying for the Powerplant license they take e.g. module 15 in Orlando ......
You have got five years to get your practical work experience logbook done!
Cheers easaman

grounded27
26th Dec 2011, 02:42
(a career you don't choose for the money,respect, honour, but a career you choose as a total aviation fan dingo that loves to get soaked by skydroll,fuel, oil, working in the cold,rain, wind,... and this to get the airplane out on time in an airworthy condition)

Hey brother, I agree with most but the "honour" part, we honour our creed. We do not allow any of the hard influences to challenge our judgment, we are an honourable force. Even if it means our company losing $$$ as a result of our decisions. We strive to provide a safe product over discomfort orf our customers and financial loss of our employers!

cedgz
26th Dec 2011, 18:43
"Hey brother, I agree with most but the "honour" part, we honour our creed. We do not allow any of the hard influences to challenge our judgment, we are an honourable force. Even if it means our company losing $$$ as a result of our decisions. We strive to provide a safe product over discomfort orf our customers and financial loss of our employers!"

i used the frenchisized(??? i start to invent words now) version of honour.

Liney
26th Dec 2011, 18:46
Back again with another question. What is the cost of type rating like and at what facility? I've seen some facilities, but few (if any) have prices, so I'm still no better off. I'm talking about type ratings for 777-200/300, 747-400, 767, 737, A320 and other popular aircraft.

EASA approved training for B1/B2 type rating - training in Zurich - 2009 prices

A330 with PW4000 Theory and Practical - 43 days - 12,500 EUR
Rolls Royce Trent 700 for A330 - Theory and Practical - 5 days - 1376 EUR
GE CF6 for A330 - Theory only - 4 days 996 EUR
A340-200/300 with CFM56 differences from A330 - Theory and Practical - 2005 EUR
A340-500/600 with RR Trent 500 differences from A340-200/300 - Theory only - 14 days 3486 EUR

Once licensed get your employer to pay :)

In comparison to all that if employed by an American airline you'll find that your A330 course will be 3 weeks and "light" in subject matter

grounded27
26th Dec 2011, 20:36
In comparison to all that if employed by an American airline you'll find that your A330 course will be 3 weeks and "light" in subject matter

In my experience with American flag carriers, the factory training can last up to 3 months on new aircraft purchase paid for by the MFGR. Once the New aircraft training project training is exhausted most companies train internally (trainers certified by MFGR) the classes are generally 4 weeks. In the experience of myself my co-workers and peers 4 weeks is usually a brain drain, there is too much information that results in an inability to retain what is taught.

From personal experience I would prefer to have hands on experience for at least 6 months with an experienced peer to work with before I receive the formal training. All aircraft generally are the same in the respect of input and output. The repetition of performing a task is golden. I have had several times training on aircraft I rarely touch until the fleet is built up and have forgotten training or even have had ineffective training that get's rectified once hands on.

The mentality of the FAA is good in the respect that they expect you to follow the current AMM etc every time you perform a task (we all know we do many things from memory). The safe and effective AMT/LAME knows not to assume too much. The red tape is there for liability purposes only the experience and mentality of a good technician questions everything!

mikeinbim
1st Mar 2012, 23:33
Back again. So another option has now come up in Canada. My question is...which is better/more accepted if I want to work anywhere (for example UK, Dubai, Australia)... FAA A&P or Canadian M licence?

shumway76
3rd Mar 2012, 01:21
Anyone did their A&P recently (Recently as in within the last 1 year)?
Please PM me, I have a few queries...