PDA

View Full Version : Landing north, landing south...

dhardesthard
25th Nov 2011, 17:36
To be unambiguous it should say Landing TO the North or TO the South. North or South refers to the direction of landing. In other words "landing North" means landing on R/W 34 or 35 or 36 or 01 or 02. Landing South would refer to a landing on R/W 18.

balaton
26th Nov 2011, 00:46
Hi, Everybody,

Most probably a stupid question to most of you but could somebody help me to clarify a note found on US Jepp STAR plates? I quote: „TURBOJETS LANDING NORTH Cross…”
Does it mean that the approaches are from a northerly quadrant or the approaches are executed into a northerly direction?
Or from another angle, applying the note above what is the landing runway 36 or 18 ?
Many thanks,
b

jeff spicoli
26th Nov 2011, 02:43
36....in FAA speak it's landing "to" the north, versus "from"
hope this helps

dhardesthard
26th Nov 2011, 09:20
CLEAR AS DAY "aterpster". Thanks.

aterpster
26th Nov 2011, 13:00
balaton:
Hi, Everybody,

Most probably a stupid question to most of you but could somebody help me to clarify a note found on US Jepp STAR plates? I quote: „TURBOJETS LANDING NORTH Cross…”

Does it mean that the approaches are from a northerly quadrant or the approaches are executed into a northerly direction?
Or from another angle, applying the note above what is the landing runway 36 or 18 ?

Many thanks,
b
Here is an FAA STAR chart for an RNAV STAR at KSLC. In the U.S. the FAA charting division, Jeppesen, and LIDO all take their terminal instrument procedures data from the same source document. The wording is done to attempt to keep cluttered charts from being even more cluttered.

Without you providing the specific chart you are commenting a bit out of context. Following is the FAA chart for an RNAV STAR at SLC. It seems that the context of the chart makes it all quite clear: (Do you have an example where the context does not resolve any slight ambiguity?)

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/aterpster/LEEHY.jpg

balaton
26th Nov 2011, 18:39
Many thanks everybody,

Dear aterpster, yes the NOA (FAA) chart is unambiguous. What made me uncertain is a JEPP STAR plate of KDAL. I think, it would be illegal to paste it here but if you have the opportunity you can check it. It is KDAL page 10-2D, the GREGS SIX ARRIVAL. It depicts the arrival segment roughly from north, north-east. At the GREGS intersection there is a note which made me think."TURBOJETS LANDING NORTH EXPECT to cross at 10000'. TURBOJETS LANDING SOUTH EXPECT to cross at 11000'. Therefore, the crossing altitude is higher for those who are making an almost straight in approach than those who are making the longer approach to the north.
Thinking it over there can be an ATC reason behind that, probably the interaction with nearby KDFW traffic.
Cheers,
b

aterpster
27th Nov 2011, 01:20
balaton:

Many thanks everybody,

Dear aterpster, yes the NOA (FAA) chart is unambiguous. What made me uncertain is a JEPP STAR plate of KDAL. I think, it would be illegal to paste it here but if you have the opportunity you can check it. It is KDAL page 10-2D, the GREGS SIX ARRIVAL. It depicts the arrival segment roughly from north, north-east. At the GREGS intersection there is a note which made me think."TURBOJETS LANDING NORTH EXPECT to cross at 10000'. TURBOJETS LANDING SOUTH EXPECT to cross at 11000'. Therefore, the crossing altitude is higher for those who are making an almost straight in approach than those who are making the longer approach to the north.

Thinking it over there can be an ATC reason behind that, probably the interaction with nearby KDFW traffic.
Cheers,
b

Jepp charts can be posted for "not for navigation" purposes under U.S. copyright law; i.e., the fair use doctrine (education, or the such).

Here are both the Jepp and FAA charts. I believe you will find much of the wording the same:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/aterpster/GREGSJepp.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/aterpster/GREGSFAA.jpg