PDA

View Full Version : Theory exams in one state, CPL flight training in another under EASA

CraigyD
25th Nov 2011, 17:37
Hi all,

My understanding is that under JAR FCL you must complete your CPL flight training in the same state as the one in which you completed your theory training. (Correct me if I am wrong here!)

Does anyone know if this is set to change under EASA, i.e. will exams sat in one state be accepted in all other states? I tried to have a look though the EASA website but wasn't able to find the answer.

I only ask as I have pretty much finished my ATPL exams in the UK and I am looking into the possibility of flight training in Poland and wonder if my exams will be accepted by the Polish CAO. I have contacted the Polish CAO but I am still waiting for a response (To be honest, I don't expect them to know the answer either!). Not sure if it will prove relevant, but I have sat old syllabus exams and plan to fly after the 12th April (Or whatever the handover date is) so my licence will be an EASA issued CPL.

Anyway, if anybody has any idea or is trying to do something similar would be great to hear from you!

Cheers,

Craigyd

zondaracer
25th Nov 2011, 18:49
I am not sure how it will change under EASA, but currently you can do the training and ATPL exams in different countries if both counties agree. I know several folks who have done exams in the UK and their ATPLs were accepted in Finland, Ireland, France (I'm still surprised by this one), and Greece. Poland, I'm not sure. Try calling them. Good luck

BillieBob
25th Nov 2011, 20:32
Under EASA the only legal requirement is that all theoretical knowledge examinations must be taken in the same state. There is no restriction on the remainder of the training each element of which may be taken in a different state if you wish.

bluearrow
26th Nov 2011, 07:55
Under EASA the only legal requirement is that all theoretical knowledge examinations must be taken in the same state. There is no restriction on the remainder of the training each element of which may be taken in a different state if you wish. Quite correct. I finished my theory here in the UK and i'm about to go to another part of Europe to finish my practical training. The local CAA were ok with accepting my theoretical knowledge exams all they required was a written confirmation from the UKCAA (via letter or e-mail) that they were ok with me finishing my practical training there and that they will be the state of issue.

so my licence will be an EASA issued CPL. So will mine although i'm not fussed if it isn't as when i get back to blighty i intened to change the state of issue back to the UK so the licence will have to be reissued by the UKCAA anyway.

;)

CraigyD
26th Nov 2011, 09:05
Wow, I am truly shocked by this!

Thanks Bluearrow :ok:

CraigyD
26th Nov 2011, 15:05
Thanks for the replies!

all they required was a written confirmation from the UKCAA (via letter or e-mail)

So how much are they charging for this!?

bluearrow
26th Nov 2011, 16:06
Wait for it, you'll be surprised! it's a hefty £0!

If the CAA in the European country your going to requires it then simply send an e-mail to [email protected].

:8