PDA

View Full Version : Is this accurate?

Cessnagreg
23rd Nov 2011, 23:56
I'm new here, and don't want this to degenerate into another C-scale / B-scale discussion. I'm interested in the job itself.

I had my stage 2 in HK a while back, and have been advised I would be on the 12 week course in Adelaide. I enjoy working where I am, but have always dreamt of working for Cathay since my uncle was there and am now not sure what to do. The SO-guide, linked below, is causing me some concern, and I wonder how accurate it is or if it is just more of the same pprune drivel? Can any present or ex second officers (not you CB) please say if there is any truth in this description of the next 4 years of my life? It doesn't sound like you do anything as an SO? Or maybe you do? Just not fly?

http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour-wannabes/378978-cathay-pacific-cadet-pilot-programme-111.html#post6278383

Cpt. Underpants
24th Nov 2011, 10:02
99.9% accurate.

That someone has taken the time to annotate all the steps is quite remarkable - but, it's accurate.

Gigaboomer
27th Nov 2011, 04:30
I'm a current SO at Cathay and it's spot on. Actually for the first time in three and half years a skipper actually let me talk on the radio during start, taxi and take off the other day, amazing!

Delta Oscar Charlie
27th Nov 2011, 06:52
Do you guys that are SO's do sim work? How do you stay current?

quadspeed
27th Nov 2011, 07:37
there is no currency requirements for SOs. sim landings are not registered, tracked nor required. the license only requires three things og you: recover the aircraft from low speed cruise with the autopilot engaged, secure an engine with the autopilot engaged, and descend to safe altitude in case of decompression with the autopilot engaged.

Delta Oscar Charlie
27th Nov 2011, 11:59
Pretty boring

Chunks
27th Nov 2011, 15:27
So how to cadets keep their I.F. ratings current?

NoseGear
27th Nov 2011, 23:02
There is a CAD requirement actually that SO's do a sim training session once every 90days. The mods that are done cover this easily. I only found out as I was off after an operation, was sick when I had a mod rostered and then a trip was changed as I was on day 89 and had to do the sim then....who knew?:E

As for the Instrument rating chunks, Mod 3 and 6 are your Instrument and Aircraft rating mods that you do every 6 months.

The SO job description is absolutely spot on....and if I'm honest, you cadets will be even less trusted with the airplane than we were as most of us had quite a lot of previous experience behind us. Not trying to be an arse, it's just the way it is.

3rd Floor
28th Nov 2011, 02:14
The SO job description is absolutely spot on....and if I'm honest, you cadets will be even less trusted with the airplane than we were as most of us had quite a lot of previous experience behind us. Not trying to be an arse, it's just the way it is. So true!!! :uhoh:

NoseGear
3rd Dec 2011, 22:16
bonanza....why don't you read what is posted?:ugh: And just so I don't have to come back to clarify, yes, you do lots of sim training, and yes, including Take offs and landings.....:hmm::ugh::(

Captain Dart
4th Dec 2011, 05:11
If this is the calibre of potential recruits under this iCadet system...

may 'god' have mercy on us all.

FattyBarr
10th Dec 2011, 13:01
Great read.....

Can anyone offer any advice on how long you spend down route?

Quality of hotels?

Expenses etc etc

Also, how many trips do you do a month? And if you have any say in your roster / routes?

Many Thanks

Silver Spur
10th Dec 2011, 16:59
Having read the posts and the link, i should congratulate my friend for failing his 2nd stage for iCadets then.....:}

Silver Spur
10th Dec 2011, 17:04
Just out of curiosity, from the posts I have read about CX SO, I assume that if say, A person with 1500hrs on Chieftain, gets a job as a 777SO, then 3.5 years later got kicked out by CX, then he will only worth 1500hrs Chieftain? Is this the case as Cx So?

boocs
10th Dec 2011, 18:29
Pilot Job - Cathay Pacific Airways - PILOT CAREER CENTRE (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot-Job-Posting-Pilot-Opening-Pilot-Job/4075/Asia/Second+Officers/Various/Cathay+Pacific+Airways)

Advertised Dec 6 apparently.

b.

SMOC
11th Dec 2011, 15:16
Apparently EK specifically accepts CX P2X time, so it's an option if HK is not your cup of tea.

captain.weird
11th Dec 2011, 19:40
Hi SMOC,

From where did you get that information? I'm searching now already a few days for that information!! Any link or so?

Di_Vosh
3rd Jan 2012, 11:01
Cessnagreg

It doesn't sound like you do anything as an SO?

Hello?

Did you do ANY research on your future career?

Seriously, you've commited how much money already, and how much for your training at FTA, and yet you don't have any idea on what your work life is going to be as an SO? :ugh:

Not sure about other airlines that have SO's but I'd be guessing that what was described in the link is pretty much the norm for an SO in any airline that has them. In QF SO's do SFA and aren't allowed in the front seats below transition.

If this is the level of your preparedness for your careeer at CX, then I pity the rest of your flight crew.

DIVOSH!

SMOC
4th Jan 2012, 02:44
From where did you get that information? I'm searching now already a few days for that information!! Any link or so?

I don't think you'll find it written anywhere, it's more word of mouth, I doubt EK could be so bold as to target CX S/Os so blatantly. But if they are good enough to be CX S/Os then they are good enough to join EK, they need pilots more than CX does.

PCLCREW
4th Jan 2012, 04:11
Doesnt EK require an ATP and something like 4000tt? Does a cadet pilot at CX even have an ATP? I also dont think you can apply P2 time to an ATP rating????

Sounds like they wouldnt even be in the running with a steady stream of pilots from the US and the EU...

Glass Half Empty
4th Jan 2012, 21:16
SO job description.

i laughed as i read it due to it being well written and humourous, then i cried when i realised how true it was.