PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Log Book - is falsifying hours OK?

hayder
24th Nov 2011, 01:10
Hi, I just have one question, do most airlines, especially in Europe, confirm your flight hours? Because I know a few pilots that have logged both PIC in a single pilot aircraft, and a few that have logged "fake" hours. Thank you in advance.

Torque Tonight
24th Nov 2011, 01:58
If you are sure of your suspicions I suggest you tip-off your aviation authority and let them investigate the matter. My personal opinion is that people who dishonestly falsify their experience in order to try and gain unfair advantage in the jobs market deserve to have their licenses cancelled permanently. I'm sure honest pilots, the fare-paying public and aviation employers would all agree.

englishman
24th Nov 2011, 07:29
I think that they don't check the log books. It would simply take to much time to contact every single airplane owner and cross-check the data.

Torque Tonight
25th Nov 2011, 06:35
You're not think of adding a few extra hours yourself are you? Don't do it.

I know that some people's logbooks get a full audit from their authority.

RTN11
25th Nov 2011, 07:24
Lets be clear here. Are you talking about one or two flights which may have been incorrectly logged? I'm sure there are slight errors in everyone's log book, but a very insignificant percentage of the flights flown.

To get ahead of a fellow pilot, you would need hundreds of hours more. This would be very easy to spot, and from what I've seen these usually do get found out - especially when it comes to line training. A training captain will very quickly be able to tell if you have 200 hours or 1000, so I'd imagine that would be the point at which you got found out and reported.

If you were to add 10 hours just to meet the requirements for the CPL - then at a later date got found out - possibly after paying for a type rating - how are you going to explain this to your authority, and what airline would possibly employ you knowing you were happy to bend the paperwork? It's on the same level as fudging the numbers on a mass and balance just so you can go flying when it is dangerous to do so.

hayder
25th Nov 2011, 11:57
anyone else?

Gomrath
25th Nov 2011, 15:18
no I'm not, I'm just curious because I see a lot of students that log hours when there are 2 students flying the same aircraft (cessna 152)

It depends where you are seeing that take place. For example, in the US under FAA regs, if the pilot in the left seat is under the hood, then the right seat is acting as a safety pilot and both may log the time.

However, try to use that right seat logged time back in Europe and it won't be accepted.

I think you have your answer so closing this thread.

hayder
25th Nov 2011, 16:46
"You're not think of adding a few extra hours yourself are you? Don't do it.

I know that some people's logbooks get a full audit from their authority.
24th Nov 2011 08:29"

no I'm not, I'm just curious because I see a lot of students that log hours when there are 2 students flying the same aircraft (cessna 152)

One9iner
25th Nov 2011, 21:10
Completely illegal, and amounts to fraud. Don't do it, and report who do.