PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit browser?

tony draper
22nd Nov 2011, 19:31
Running Windows 7 64 bit on the newish Draper home made superputer,so decided to google for a 64 bit browser if such a critter existed and downloaded Mozilla Nightly? is this actually a 64 bit browser?,it don't seem any faster than the Win Explora I am also running, though in truth I do not know what version of Win Explora I am running, perchance it is the 64 bit version as well?
:confused:

M.Mouse
22nd Nov 2011, 20:10
No material difference in speed from my observations. The disadvantage is that there is no 64 bit Flash Player plug-in (at least there wasn't a few weeks ago).

Bushfiva
23rd Nov 2011, 10:27
Flash 11 supports 64-bit browsers. If you download Flash 11 from a 32-bit browser, it installs Flash for that player. If you download Flash from a 64-bit browser, it installs Flash 11 on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the browser.

64-bit version of IE tells you in Help>About IE. 32-bit version doesn't say anything about bits.

tony draper
23rd Nov 2011, 14:06
Thanks chaps,I seem to be using IE 8 a the mo,used Firefox for years but I had trouble with the latest version,so I just used the version of explorer that came on me Win7 instalation Disk.
:)

mixture
23rd Nov 2011, 18:37
You are unlikely to ever see any benefit of using a 64-bit web browser.

64-bit comes into its own for :
- Memory intensive applications
- Processor intensive applications

Since web browsers strive to be the complete opposite of the above there's no gain to be had.