PDA

View Full Version : Nurses are tougher than Pilots

layingback
22nd Nov 2011, 09:15
I see the nurses are telling Fair Work Australia to stick their ruling. Pilots and unions cop it.

It's a joke.:D

Howard Hughes
22nd Nov 2011, 09:30
Time will tell, but they might just have better legal advice and deeper coffers.;)

Wally Mk2
22nd Nov 2011, 09:40
There's a lot more at stake with the nurses, they provide an essential service, assist in saving lives etc, we pilots/engineers etc at the Airline level are just part of a service provider that's not a 'must have'.
They (the nurses) are dealing with the Govt directly for pay rises etc, those pay rises we the tax payer have to fund where as the aviation fight is with greedy Co's.
I know how hard nurses work they deserve a LOT better !

Wmk2

AWB_Clerk
22nd Nov 2011, 09:44
Don't forget though that nurses have a very slight advantage; How do you outsource to an overseas hospital? Send the patients overseas?

AWBC

P.S- I hope the nurses stick it right up them.

mates rates
22nd Nov 2011, 09:52
Yes the girls have more balls than the pilots,that's true.But are we surprised? I don't think so!! All is consistant with their form over the years since that year we dare not mention.They failed,as an organisation,to support the domestic pilots at that time. They have allowed Qantas to chip away at their flying hours,expansion,commands etc at the expense of their younger crews,to Jet*,foreign freight operators and I am sure many other examples are available.They are reaping what they have sowed.

DirectAnywhere
22nd Nov 2011, 10:07
Well, that'll be the end of another thread....

Fatguyinalittlecoat
22nd Nov 2011, 10:11
A lot can happen in 22 years. I guess bitter imbecile disease doesn't wash off.:rolleyes:

teresa green
22nd Nov 2011, 10:23
Mates you are being a bit harsh. In THAT year, we did not expect the QF blokes to come on board, it would have been a complete disaster for the country had they. We never had a gripe with the QF blokes, not that I know of anyway, they were supportive and friendly towards those who did not break ranks, to the others they were dismissive and downright pissed off. Most of us harbour no ill feeling towards QF pilots, most of us understood their position. As for the nurses, I have been married to one for forty five years, my wife spent her training years in the RAAF and then in Trauma and Intensive Care until her retirement. Nothing I ever did could compare to what she achieved, I hope they get what they deserve, they are amazing.

Wiley
22nd Nov 2011, 10:24
Myself, I'm waiting with bated breath to see how many holes both the nurses' union and the hospital management's lawyers find in the Fair Work Australia legislation and how easily both sides will exploit these holes to delay, delay delay and generally make a mockery of it.

Its drafter hasn't got a particularly stellar record of getting anything right, so I can only imagine that FWA will prove to be no different.

gobbledock
22nd Nov 2011, 11:09
Here is an idea. Lets hire the nurses as consultants, first job will be to find the biggest frigging hose they can find, shove it through QF management and give the organization the largest corporate enema in history!
There will be so much sh#t flowing that you could fill Sydney harbor three times over.

And yes, for all those nurses out there - Stick to your guns, you are owed a win. The system is fu#ked, you work harder, are more valuable, and more worthy of a fair and equitable salary than the trough snorting, incompetent, money wasting government parasites that employ you.

rmcdonal
22nd Nov 2011, 11:24
How do you outsource to an overseas hospital? Send the patients overseas?
They are trying to do the same thing as the engineers, bring in lesser trained people to perform some of the rolls of the nurses thereby not having to pay them as much and reducing the patient Registered Nurse ratio.

Tee Emm
22nd Nov 2011, 11:53
find the biggest frigging hose they can find, shove it through QF management and give the organization the largest corporate enema in history!
There will be so much sh#t flowing that you could fill Sydney harbor three times over.

There goes the neighbourhood again. MODS! MODS! where are the Mods when they are needed.

Andu
22nd Nov 2011, 19:57
I have a close family member who is a nurse. She tells me that "foreign outsourcing" in nursing has been a fact of life for years now, with a very large proportion of nurses (in NSW at least) coming from the Phillipines and elsewhere in Asia, far too many of them having (shall we say) "different" standards of training and a poor to non-existent knowledge of Australian English. (Since the introduction of university-based nursing training in favour of hospital-based training here in Australia, far too many Australian nursing graduates leave the system immediately or very soon after graduating and move on to non-nursing careers. [It's a degree. That's all you need for many jobs - a degree.] And of course, unlike in the hospital-based training days, the system sees very little of them during their training, so it's a double loss to the system and the patients.)

Still, I join others here in wishing them well. They deserve a much higher wage than they receive.

RENURPP
22nd Nov 2011, 20:15
I would have thought the differEnce was unity.
Our seniority system makes it dam near impossible to leave one company in Aus and move to another in a similar position. That makes people (particularly the more senior F/Os and Capt) value their current job and be more cautious about taking risks that may result in losing it. It's difficult o create unity where people will stand together, not just talk the talk when heir jobs are always at risk.

It's a little different in most other careers.

Torres
22nd Nov 2011, 21:01

Been at any hospital lately? Statistically, West Australia Health and Queensland Health are the largest employer sponsors of 457 Visas in Australia, mainly nurses.

Fair Work Australia legislation never was going to work.

Tipsy Barossa
22nd Nov 2011, 21:32
Time for the airline pilot profession to come out into the 21st century, ditch the archaic seniority system and embrace globalisation.

ACT Crusader
22nd Nov 2011, 21:40
Even though the title and opening post is probably tongue n cheek, its still a fairly ridiculous proposition.

Very different disputes, the issues are not even on the same end of the spectrum. Pilots are fighting for "job security" however nurses are trying make sure they are not overworked and patient ratios don't blow out due to any changes in the name of flexibility.

I think there are a few legal issues around the FWA unprotected action stop order as well. But heard from the media this morning that the VHIA (employer rep) is seeking a second stop order, maybe one that is worded right this time......

Nurses are still taking care of all critical matters as well, so it's not as if they have a blanket ban on all beds.

bakutteh
22nd Nov 2011, 21:45
My sis-in-law is a cardio nurse somewhere in OZ and every time a patient dies in her OR, she gets a days off for trauma counselling / recovery. Wonder if pilots can claim time off after a really bad day short of calling a sickie.

Worrals in the wilds
22nd Nov 2011, 21:55
far too many Australian nursing graduates leave the system immediately or very soon after graduating and move on to non-nursing careers. [It's a degree. That's all you need for many jobs - a degree.]Often that's because they graduate and quickly find out that many big health providers (private and government) are crappy employers and bad payers. Insetead of spending their day looking after patients (which is what all of them want to do) they have to deal with constant budget cuts that impact safety and efficiency, do miles of useless paperwork and cop management BS.

Good nurses tend to be good employees and other industries and public service departments snap them up and value them properly.

Jack Ranga
22nd Nov 2011, 23:05
I have two sisters that are Nurses, if they're paid what they're worth it would bankrupt the health system :ugh:

While it's easy to say they're tougher than pilots (they are) and they stick together (they do) it would be political suicide to fine a nurse for industrial action.

Pilots, however, they will have no problems fining you and prosecuting you to the full extent of the 'law'

Metro man
22nd Nov 2011, 23:21

Heard of medical tourism ? There are some very high quality private hospitals in Asia with fees that allow a considerable saving over first world costs, even after taking travel expenses into account. A week or two on a nice beach helps with the recovery.

For those who can afford it, it's a worthwhile option.

Bumrungrad International Hospital | Bangkok Thailand - Medical Procedures/Health Check-ups (http://www.bumrungrad.com)

Tankengine
22nd Nov 2011, 23:51
Bwahaaaahaaaa:D

Seen 60 mins on overseas cosmetic surgery?:ugh:

Low cost surgery is a really great idea!:E