PDA

View Full Version : Astrolan 32 airframe preservative?

blue up
22nd Nov 2011, 07:03
I've been given some Astrolan 32 to pickle the outside of an aero engine whilst it goes into storage to be used as a spare crankcase. The story is that astrolan is a preservative in the same vein as Waxoyl, ACF50 or Dinitrol. Is this true?
Nothing much on Google about it.
Anyone know the correct use for the product?

Thanks

Jet II
22nd Nov 2011, 07:27
Spray it on and dont breathe it in

Golden Rivet
22nd Nov 2011, 07:45
I recall using it as a corrosion preventative fluid back in my BA days. It was just sprayed directly on the surface you wanted protecting

I believe they stopped using it as it wasn't approved for use.

How old is the can you've got ? You might be better off asking your friendly engineers for a can of Dinitrol AV30...:ok:

blue up
22nd Nov 2011, 08:59
It is labeled as time-ex with a sticker stuck over the date that won't come off without destroying the manufacturers label. I believe it was rescued from a BA skip with about 3 gallons remaining.:O

I guess it is safe to paint it on over steel and ali sections to ward off damp whilst in storage? It looks as if it dries into a fairly resilient, slightly soft coating that will keep in place for a while. I'm hoping I can use it on a few of my spare parts since I seem to be collecting quite a lot of bits lately.

Spray it on and dont breathe it in

Is it toxic if it gets on skin? It eats right through nitrile and latex gloves.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/foggythomas/franklinsideview.jpg

Golden Rivet
22nd Nov 2011, 13:29
I cant see that using it will cause any problems.

I breathed it in for many years, and haven't gone mad yet...

blue up
23rd Nov 2011, 06:46
Found a label on it telling me to re-test it in 2008, suggesting that it isn't far out of date. I looked inside the tin and it isn't rusty, so I guess it will be fine.:}

Thanks, guys.