PDA

View Full Version : Astraeus are no more?

750XL
21st Nov 2011, 11:29
I hear that Astraeus are no more with immediate effect, anyone else heard this?

Poltergeist
21st Nov 2011, 11:33
just been told they have gone into administration. There are aircraft in the air and staff have been told that when they are in they will be contacted by the administrator.
very sad day for all the staff - press release is due very shortly

g109
21st Nov 2011, 11:33
interesting!
anyone else has more information on this.
all they seem to be doing now are ACMI

punk666
21st Nov 2011, 11:37
Funny enough they just recruited 4 more guys a few weeks back...someone clearly did their math wrong on that.

Dani
21st Nov 2011, 11:44
This is a very sad moment. I've been working for them and know many nice guys there. I hope they will find a way out of this. Are they still flying? Lately I saw more of those white 757 in LGW than normal, but that doesn't mean anything.

Capetonian
21st Nov 2011, 11:53
Damn. I've done a few flights on them when they've been chartered by FlyBe and EZY. Always lovely crews and great inflight announcements.

So sorry to hear this.

oceancrosser
21st Nov 2011, 12:01
Iceland Express co-owned with Astraeus by Mr.Palmi Haraldsson announced this morning that their flying will no longer be performed by Astraeus.
Yesterday the announced the closure of the Newark route. This has been a long time coming.

haughtney1
Awwww Poo!

I owe a lot to these guys as they gave me a start in aviation in the UK:sad:

Best of luck to all concerned, the aviation sector really is suffering in the UK at the moment.

Flypuppy
Bugger.

Best of luck to all involved.

CrashDive
21st Nov 2011, 12:04
Just had it confirmed as in 'administration'.

Fwiw, I worked for AEU for nearly seven years and it was one of the best airlines that I have ever worked for!

Always 'interesting' routes, coupled with great training, and a terrific team of people both on the aircraft and in the office.

What a very sad day! :{

Fokkerwokker
21st Nov 2011, 12:13
Did some freelance with them a few years ago. Great bunch and great fun to be with.

Crappy time of year to feel a cold draft.

Best of luck to all.

fireflybob
21st Nov 2011, 12:15
Very sorry to hear the news - hope the guys all get re-employed asap.

How many pilots did they have?

punk666
21st Nov 2011, 12:33
They had quite a few....Some have gone direct to the Cambodia gig apparently and the rest have been laid off. They recruited 4 other pilots about 4 weeks back so why recruit when they know something like this was on the horizon?

doubleu-anker
21st Nov 2011, 12:43
Well Punk, we wont be seeing anymore AEU aircraft having 666 scrawled all over it, will we now..

TURIN
21st Nov 2011, 12:45
Iron Maiden's front man will be looking for a new ride then?

Sad day, another bunch added to the stats.

Best of luck all.

punk666
21st Nov 2011, 12:46
Yh that is true, im sure Brucey isnt to worried about losing his job.

opsjockey
21st Nov 2011, 12:56
Understand Iceland Express are now in partnership with JetTime (using their AOC / Fleet)

Shame about AEU. Great bunch of Guys and Gals.

claron
21st Nov 2011, 12:59
A bit of Deja vu! Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the money men behind Astraeus put another good little airline " British World Airlines" into administration about 10 years ago this month?

Like then I hope the staff all find new homes soon!

Check Mags On
21st Nov 2011, 13:16
Thoughts go out to all you guys.
Happened to me nearly 2 years ago at GSM.
Good luck.

old-timer
21st Nov 2011, 13:24
Very sad day :sad:

Astraeus rocked as the front man might say , good luck to all, a great bunch of folks

BOAC
21st Nov 2011, 13:26
Rumour on AA&R is Jet Time - I think a Danish 737-300 operator, based I think in CPH so I guess they may be ferrying the -700 stuck there..

opsjockey
21st Nov 2011, 13:28
Yup, as per post 17 of this thread.....

Notso Fantastic
21st Nov 2011, 13:43
Some very questionable decisions emanated from Reykjavik. One of the worst was dumping the handling agents from 1 June causing weeks to incredible chaos and delays. This recruitment of a new partner looks like another potential boob. Shame- they've driven a company they own, with a worldwide AOC, under. Presumably they will get nothing from the ashes. The whole thing seems a disaster area.

Little Blue
21st Nov 2011, 13:44
Good luck to you all...
I was at GSM when the lights went out....

Always believe......

LB

JSCL
21st Nov 2011, 13:52
Well, seems Jet2 will find some young 757's on the market soon for their fleet renewal!

bluepilot
21st Nov 2011, 13:56
Good luck to all those seeking employment.

BOAC
21st Nov 2011, 14:07
Yup, as per post 17 of this thread..... - sorry! Double vision.

Bets that Palmi is an investor in Jet Time? It's an odd world up there in Eisland.

I guess BM will be a few seats short for while.

silverhawk
21st Nov 2011, 14:17
A sad day indeed. I had 3 very, very happy years there from the inception.
I was even given a bonding for the type rating rather than have to pay for it. Such was the superb company ethos from the start up.

For all those now out of work, my sympathies. We have almost all been there.

There is lots of work out there if you can take the cultural differences. Good luck.

BOAC
21st Nov 2011, 14:26
LGW-KEF now operating (and airborne!:confused:) as Holidays Czech Airlines HCC 502: CPH-KEF as HCC902

lookoutbelow
21st Nov 2011, 14:50
So sorry to hear it!
Thoughts with everyone at the airline. Some great people and I had a great 8 years there...

757_Driver
21st Nov 2011, 15:01
Shame- they've driven a company they own, with a worldwide AOC, under. Presumably they will get nothing from the ashes. The whole thing seems a disaster area. I dunno - the icelandic fella who owns it will come out of it with a few more shekels whilst loads of really great people get cast aside. It was a really close team, some great people to work with and some great times.
Such a shame because with slightly more benevolent ownership and leadership from the very top it could have been a great place, as the rest of the team were (mostly!) cracking people.

..Quagmire..
21st Nov 2011, 15:13
:mad::mad:

Sorry to hear that, I used to work there.

Good luck finding new jobs.

If you are interested in Qatar Airways, you need to give Dusty Miller a call. I think he is still in charge of recruiting here.

There are quite a few of us Brits out here now :ok:

If you want any info on the place, send me a PM.

Cheers,

Quagmire.

Out Of Trim
21st Nov 2011, 15:13
Shame.. I used to work with these guys a few years ago; when they operated like a normal airline and had the lucrative Oil Worker routes etc.

I had hoped they would find a similar niche in the industry as Titan!

Good luck to all and hoping you find new jobs in the near future.

A and C
21st Nov 2011, 15:45
As said above another company driven to the wall by the people who bankrupted a whole country.

This is the third company that has gone bust when employing me and the common thread is Icelandic money doing the talking.

Good luck to any airline that gets involved with the Icelandics.............you will need it, they will use the power of the money to back you into all sorts of stupid and rash decisions for reasons of Icelandic internal politics and then blame the non Icelandics when it all goes wrong.

opsjockey
21st Nov 2011, 15:49
From Flight News and other media sources:

UK wet-lease operator Astraeus Airlines has ceased operations with immediate effect, with administrators set to be appointed to the company.
The carrier said it had suffered a "lack of contracts" for the winter 2011-12 season, following "lower-than-expected levels of business" during the summer.
Astraeus chief Hugh Parry added that the airline had "some extremely bad luck with a number of technical issues".
Parry said the board had been left with "no option" but to cease operations and put the company into administration.
"Every effort has been made to ensure that any passengers affected already have or will be able to complete their journey," he added.
"It is small comfort to those affected and impacted, I realise, but Astraeus comprised a fantastic team who did a fantastic job - quite possibly the best team in their aviation business sector."
Astraeus is wholly-owned by Icelandic firm Eignarhaldsfelagid Fengur. The carrier, established in 2002, had operated a range of aircraft including Boeing 757-200s, 737s and Airbus A320s.

lookoutbelow
21st Nov 2011, 16:09
It is also the third airline that this particular Icelandic has driven against the rocks - Sterling, Flyme and now Astraeus. If I were you I would give up airlines Palmi!!

Mr Angry from Purley
21st Nov 2011, 16:10
JSCL
Not sure many B757 left, 2 have just gone to Fed Ex.
Good luck to allcon

fmgc
21st Nov 2011, 16:10
Sympathies to all those affected.

It is a very difficult market for niche players out there with very high fuel prices and not much business around.

kotakota
21st Nov 2011, 16:21
Hopefully most of the Astraeus drivers will find alternative employment fairly sharpish , the daily adverts are numerous .Sadly its only Jet2 that seem to need drivers in the UK . Mind you , most of the AEU folk I knew back in 04/05 are now overseas , all flying some seriously heavy metal for some high-class airlines .

757_Driver
21st Nov 2011, 16:23
As said above another company driven to the wall by the people who bankrupted a whole country.

except its no longer said above because its been edited. But we all know who the people involved are and what their names are

A and C
21st Nov 2011, 16:50
Not much of a forum if they find the truth so hard to take.

charter man
21st Nov 2011, 17:05
Maybe it is ironic that Bruce Dickinson's Iron Maiden tour this year was called "The Final Frontier"?

RAT 5
21st Nov 2011, 17:07
Airline managers & boses please take note. Here is another airline gone bust which had nothing to do with greedy crews or demanding unions. It was most likely crass decisions from upstairs. As has been said before: things go wrong from the top, not the bottom.

RMC
21st Nov 2011, 17:33
Another ex GSM driver who suffered the same almost two years ago now. Thoughts are with you guys....it may feel a dark place you are in right now all I can say is make getting a job your new job. Most ex GSM people that did had employment or offers within three months....and many would say they are in a better place now than they were then.

Say again s l o w l y
21st Nov 2011, 17:36
I'm very sorry to hear this. Good luck to all the crews. I know it might seem bleak at the moment, but I'm sure everyone will find something very quickly.

Onwards and upwards!

crewmeal
21st Nov 2011, 17:59
Good luck everyone from someone who has been through similar experiences.

Check Mags On
21st Nov 2011, 18:01
Completely agree with RMC.
GSM shut down the week before Christmas, so I tried to enjoy the festive period the best that I could.
But then straight after I made finding work my new job. Made sure I got up everyday and had a shave.
Did two months out of work, and am now in a better place and closer to home.

Alloy
21st Nov 2011, 18:17
From another who has felt the chill wind before and moved on to better, the best of luck and sympathies to those affected.
Waiting until presumably four days until pay day for a P45 sounds unfortunately all to familiar.

RoyHudd
21st Nov 2011, 18:25
Great pity for all employees and dependent businesses. A good airline.

Big Hilly
21st Nov 2011, 18:58
Sad news indeed :(

Towerman
21st Nov 2011, 19:20
Intrigued to understand why the Administrators Zolfo Cooper AKA Kroll - the same outfit who were behind BWA liquidation 10 years ago - have been hired when they are Leeds based - hardly on AEU's doorstep....

hollywood285
21st Nov 2011, 19:31
very sad, hope saying that dont get my post deleted...

JSCL
21st Nov 2011, 19:46
In all fairness, I do believe someone like Astraeus is recoverable - the administrators could potentially find a small queue of interested parties who would buy and rescue the ailing company/airline. Might be of interest to someone like Titan or another outfit - I wouldn't count out any of those potential routes until the process has happened.

Alber Ratman
21st Nov 2011, 21:31
AEU were not an scheduled airline, they turned into a wet leasing company at the start of the credit crunch and don't actually hold any routes bar the companies that lease the equipment and crews off them. It will hurt a few other maintenance companies who did good business with them unfortunatey. I wonder what will happen to the "Ed Force One" 75 now? It was still in the scheme when I last heard.

Blink182
21st Nov 2011, 22:03
Iron Maiden World Tour decals were removed from the 757 last month.

Danscowpie
21st Nov 2011, 22:14
Sadly its only Jet2 that seem to need drivers in the UK

Not quite the case, but even if it were, work is work and if it keeps the roof over your head and the type rating/experience current, what does it matter in the short term?
Very, very sad to see another great UK operator go under, but life goes on and I hope that everyone who used to work for Astraeus finds employment elsewhere.

Having been in a very similar situation in the distant and the recent past, my advice would be to do what you have to do then do what you'd really like to do when the opportunity arises.
What comes around goes around.

duckbelly
21st Nov 2011, 23:36
Mario gave me a job after the Ansett collapse after a 15 min 'chat'. Turned out to be one of the best positions I had... fantastic people, amazing network, and they put more new airports in my logbook than any company I've ever been with! Lots of good memories!

frozen man
22nd Nov 2011, 03:57
well duck you and many others including myself
Very sad day for such a great company and team of people

Tolsti
22nd Nov 2011, 05:24
I used to drive for Hallmark Cars and regularly drove Astreus guys and ladies around. Nice bunch, especially the gobby one I used to collect from Stanstead and bring back to Crawley on a regualr basis.... never a quiet journey with those guys..... good luck to you all.

Poltergeist
22nd Nov 2011, 06:16
Why should Palmi give up airlines? he seems to do alright out of them.

A lot of good people have lost their jobs and a lot of support businesses have not been paid and that could lead to more job losses. but hey, when they were negotiating contracts to cover the flying, the Icelandic sister company were all in Brighton on their Christmas party - aledgedly

fade to grey
22nd Nov 2011, 08:06
That would be Jo then you were driving !

Great shame for all of us....unfortunately numerous engine changes in the summer coupled with lack of winter work has sunk us.

I had a great 6.5 years there, some really odd places that I've seen and my first LHS on the 757. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Chidken Sangwich
22nd Nov 2011, 08:57
Firstly, good luck to all you guys and girls in finding your next 'challenge'.

Secondly, this means yet another UK AOC in the bin and given the demands by the Authorities these days I doubt we'll ever see another new UK start-up. What's left of AEU could be worth saving just for the AOC alone.

bluearrow
22nd Nov 2011, 09:06
I've just read the story on flight global :sad:

UK's Astraeus ceases operations (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/uks-astraeus-ceases-operations-365112/)

another new UK start-up

Fastjet :E

betterfromabove
22nd Nov 2011, 09:57
Seems there is little justice in the airline business for offering quality, friendly service or doing something distinctive. Reminds me of Orion Airways back in the 80's.

Flew you guys many times on the "Hassi Express" down to the desert. Those smiles at the door with a chilled water bottle were always much appreciated after leaving that Mad Max world behind at the foot of the stairs.

Transfer of all expats onto the scheduled flights from that part of the world this summer probably didn't help the balance book.

Gordomac
22nd Nov 2011, 10:13
Damn, just a little voice of sympathy with nothing more positive than has already been posted. Incidentally, Air Europe were still recruiting right up to the point of impact too. Just makes one wonder, eh ? Good luck to all who feel the chill of winter even more severely just now. Many of us, if not most, have been there but wish it on no-one. Of course you will survive. We are Aviation people damn it !

Romeo 87
22nd Nov 2011, 10:19
Bad news indeed.I owe them a lot,having been stabbed in the back by Big Airways, among others, many times.JM gave me a chance and had a wonderful few years in the left seat.
Good luck to all,a pleasure to have known you.

Nearly Man
22nd Nov 2011, 11:26
Hmm, mixed feelings about this one. Stitched up by them badly but they also gave me my first break. Lots of nice guys in there and most I know have found work elsewhere. Still not nice for the guys in this present climate and sadly the only people happy will be Philip Meason at Jet2!
Seems the party in Brighton went really well for the superior people!

Landflap
22nd Nov 2011, 12:15
And, just witnessed Thomas Cook Acting (really acting) CEO, or something, telling us that with a debt of 900 million " We are in good financial shape". We hand our professional flying careers to people like this, hoping that they will do their jobs steering the company. They hand, steering the planes, to us. But, if we made a PA to the cabin after loosing both donks on Track C that we are in "good shape"..................oh boy. Not a level playing field is it ? And the guy charged with getting TC in this mess was fired and got a really big pay-off although ACEO refused to tell the world how much it was !

Ghostdancer
22nd Nov 2011, 12:22
Was there for nearly two years between 07-08 in a non-flying capacity. When I joined the atmosphere reminded me a little of my time at British Caledonian. Fantastic people to work with, with some excellent individuals in the backroom on Flight Ops, Engineering & support functions. Had some laughs along the way. Best of luck to you all, I hope you find something soon.

POLISH_EDDIE
22nd Nov 2011, 19:27
Really sad to hear that... I've flown with them a few times and their crew was always extremely professional... Great airline with a really British service...

Seems there might be a gleam of hope after all...

Zolfo Cooper appointed to Astraeus Airlines - 22 Nov 2011 - Accountancy Age (http://www.accountancyage.com/aa/news/2126911/zolfo-cooper-appointed-astraeus-airlines)

ZOLFO COOPER administrators have been appointed to the airline made famous by having Iron Maiden lead singer Bruce Dickinson as a pilot.

Nick Cropper, Alastair Beveridge and Anne O'Keefe, partners at Zolfo Cooper, were appointed joint-administrators of Astraeus Airlines. The airline has ceased trading.

Dickinson plans to rescue the business as he saw no reason why the original business model could not work.

"Firstly, I'm already working on a plan to try to save Astraeus, or at least create a new business with new jobs for my friends and former colleagues at Astraeus. This is a serious plan involving people who are very good at their jobs," said Dickinson.

"Frankly, now Astraeus has been relieved of the business model imposed upon it by Icelandic owners, who, to be honest, perhaps did not fully appreciate the way the key commercial aviation markets operated, I see the potential for a viable operation should acquisition of the company prove achievable."

Dickinson, who piloted a flight from Jeddah to Manchester yesterday, said he was also involved in a project that could create as many as 1,500 jobs in the aviation sector.

Astraeus Airlines operated the Iron Maiden "Final Frontier World Tour 2011", which ended in August.

The Crawley-based business employs about 190 people and had suffered severe cash flow difficulties.

Nick Cropper said: "The company has been left facing a number of insurmountable issues and unfortunately, we have been left with no alternative other than to cease trading immediately.

"Regrettably, this also means that the majority of staff have been made redundant."

captplaystation
22nd Nov 2011, 20:22
"Final Frontier" indeed, if Bruce can pull this off, he has enough material for several new albums.
In all seriousness, it is horribly, horribly, frustrating to be working in a company with a good bunch of folk that is being :mad: by inept/corrupt direction/guidance from above, & wondering why, despite everyones best efforts, it is crumbling around your ears.
Seen it once (nearly twice, but Phew :ooh: ) & I wish him all the best :ok:

Avenger
22nd Nov 2011, 20:56
Looking at the 2010 Balance sheets on Company Check.co.uk there was only about 6 million adrift between assets and liabilities, which, in aviation terms, is peanuts, and they had 2.7million cash at bank so it would appear that cash flow "Has become a problem" the problem is " where's it gone?" ,wasn't the " original business model" based on a PTF arrangement with Bond Aviation, thus reducing the overheads and enabling a more competitive edge? and although Bond was sold off to Alpha some years ago, didn't AEU get its own TRTO again last year? Maybe Bruce can sort this out, maybe not, for sure, the old 757s don't help the overall scheme. Real shame this, the AEU guys and girls were/are a good bunch...

vulcanised
22nd Nov 2011, 21:32
BBC News - Iron Maiden star vows to resurrect Astraeus Airlines (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-15847720)

NutLoose
22nd Nov 2011, 21:34
Just seen it too, good on him :D:D:D

..Quagmire..
22nd Nov 2011, 22:46
Hi guys,

Sorry for the long delay, I was on a ULR flight. Just got in. To all those that PM'd me...

I am not 100% sure about Dusty's company email address at this precise moment in time but they go in the format of <first initial><surname>@qatarairways.com.qa. (i.e. [email protected])
- so if you know his real first name you should be able to work that one out. (it's not Dusty, is it? Maybe someone can enlighten us.)

For those that are interested....... I've dug on the system and the guy below is in charge of HR recruitment, he should be able to give you Dusty's company email address/ contact details. (Assuming it is still Dusty doing PILOT recruitment!). If you get no luck, then PM me back with your full name and I will phone Dusty and let him know in advance that you are going to get in contact with him! (Obviously I'm not going to put his personal mobile number up here). But I will do my best to help you guys out, as I've been in this crappy situation before too.

Jason Mills
Manager Recruitment, HR - Recruitment
Qatar Airways
E-mail [email protected]
Phone +97444453320
Mobile phone +97455930524

Best I can do at 02:30am. Good luck.

Nearly Man
22nd Nov 2011, 23:58
I would be very wary of Qatar. You will be locked into a huge bond for 3 years. Give EK a go before Qatar. Qatar have just cut their days off for pilots to a maximum of 8 days. However, why not try both?

Good luck to all

The Yank
23rd Nov 2011, 01:15
It is a sad day. Even though I didn't like a lot of Astreaus's practices, it is always sad to see another Airline go under. I have known may colleges that have gone thru the place and it is a shame that it is gone.

Don't forget that Astreaus was involved with the sponsorship of Pprune(ites) for a couple of Type Ratings in the early days... In fact I think Danny was one of them!?!?

E-mail for Qatar:
[email protected]

I hope Bruce can pull a phoenix out of the ashes!

A and C
23rd Nov 2011, 02:21
It is not often that on these pages we are treated to such a tour de force of poisonous thought based on no reliable information.

If you had done any research you would know that Bruce Dickinson is a businessman & pilot first and a Rock musician second. He has a number of business interests apart from Astraeus & Iron Maden.

Knowing Bruce I cen tell you that he knows a lot about the way Astraeus has been financially raped by the Icelandics and will no doubt have ideas on how to pick up the pieces if at all possible, I personally doubt the situation will be recovered but you can't knock him for trying.

As temped as I am to speculate what type of person writes posts such as yours above, I think that I am best just leaving your totally distasteful post to speak for its self.

pattaya pete
23rd Nov 2011, 03:57
Does anyone know who the official receiver is?

Funkie
23rd Nov 2011, 04:15
I'm sorry to hear such sad news. I too know the feeling I as was at GSM when the music stopped!!

Stick together and I hope Bruce can form a recovery plan for you all!

Did AEU have any recognition within Balpa? I know GSM did not, but a RYR pilot organised a collection fund through Balpa to help financially when GSM went tits up just before Christmas!!

Again, good luck to you all!

lederhosen
23rd Nov 2011, 04:20
Well Narrow Runway I can still see your post. If you posted something worse than that and it got removed I cannot see you getting much sympathy! Have you flown with the man or got some facts to back up your assertions?

Snigs
23rd Nov 2011, 05:12
Of the airline I know little, but through PPRuNe I got to know several of the pilots and management and I have to say that they were a good bunch. Specifically, in my case, they gave me some great advice and help when I was looking into professional flying as a career change (back in the early 2000's).

So I say thanks for that, and good luck to all in the future.

Avenger
23rd Nov 2011, 05:33
Astraeus got a new TRTO last year which includes A320, If the company was sold before being 'wound up' and the CAA accept the training post holders Bruce could get his FTO and maybe resurrect the old PTF model but using modern equipment, maybe 738 and A320 not the costly 757 which nearly all the charter outfits are shedding. Maybe some of the 'wadded' employees would become investors! Good luck to all

Narrow Runway
23rd Nov 2011, 06:27
And people are hoping that a millionaire rock "star" is hoping to resurrect a low-end airline that relied on pay to fly pilots in order to exist?

How times have changed. I can't quite believe I'm reading it.

Face it. AEU is a hobby to the rock "star". He knows absolutely no-one else would take him seriously enough to fly one of their aircraft - he could always pay to fly though I suppose.

fade to grey
23rd Nov 2011, 06:54
Bit bitter for some reason Narrowmind ?

Bruce's skills and experience go well beyond flying - why would he not be taken seriously ? we all pass the same LPCs etc.

Yes we did have self sponsored TR poeple, who the hell doesn't - i.e easyjet/ryanair. But I wasn't and neither were alot of my mates.

Low end airline ? don't know what that vague insult is supposed to mean.

The simple answer I believe,is that the icelandics were not interested in our business, unless it was supporting their IEX flights.

As for the 757, find me a 73/a320 that can do 3000 miles with 22000kg payload - this is the reason we had them .

Also missed the oilflights , hassi, malabo - the reason they were dropped was they simply didn't make any money.

TightSlot
23rd Nov 2011, 08:12
Narrow Runway - A gratuitously nasty piece of writing there. You may draw comfort from this sad situation and choose to exploit it to demonstrate your superior wit and powers of observation: So doing sheds rather more light upon your character than on the subject matter.

Shame!

Tolsti
23rd Nov 2011, 08:25
That would be Jo then you were driving !

Yup.. sound like it... many a laugh in the queues on the Dartford Bridge.

MCDU2
23rd Nov 2011, 08:32
I see where Narrow is coming from as do the other 600 Aer Lingus pilots and I can assure you there is little sympathy coming from us.

These airlines will always be at risk of folding. Their business plans are suspect at best, they are full of people in the LHS topping up pensions and therefore not interested in fighting for proper T&Cs and joining a union. The junior guys just want to fly and build hours no matter the cost. Others can't get into a proper airline and become lifers. Management just feed off all of the above and as a result you reap what you sow.

GhostofCain
23rd Nov 2011, 09:22
Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson aims to resurrect UK airline | World news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/23/iron-maiden-bruce-dickinson-airline-astraeus-rescue)

Any private sector job creator gets a thumbs up in my book, especially on a larger scale in this economic environment. 1500 employees is a big amount, a genuine medium-sized business.

Good luck Bruce.

JamesT73J
23rd Nov 2011, 09:52
Got to hand it to Bruce, he's a doer. Good luck to him and everyone involved.

Tourist
23rd Nov 2011, 10:44
I've met Bruce, lovely bloke.
He came to our Taranto night at Culdrose. No side to him at all, and no rockstar ego. The only thing I would say about him is that he was too interested in flying stories from us, when all we wanted was groupie stories from him!

Narrow Runway
23rd Nov 2011, 11:30
I stand by my words. AEU were, seemingly, reliant on more than the basic business model of operating aircraft to survive.

Blame whoever you like, me included, but I am still not shedding tears for the passing of AEU - and like others have said, a lot of others aren't that bothered either.

My definition of a "low end airline" is one who deliberately sets out to bust unions in other airlines and recruits people in order to do so. Then, when the plan is rumbled, they then make those employed for that particular purpose redundant. Nice. Anyone remember that episode?

Nah, thought not.:ugh:

Poltergeist
23rd Nov 2011, 14:26
A bit simplistic in your explanations of what went on and many have reasons for making it so and I am not having a go at that. i am pretty sure that every airline out there will have those cheering if they went out of business. But do you feel the same way for the creditors owed money? Airline credit is generally shrinking as they are seen as high risk and each time one sinks it becomes harder. Cash flow will always be a vital factor for airline survival - just read about TC - and reduced credit lines will cause a problem for all.

As for reliance on the business model, time will tell when the administrator has a good look at what was happening

magicmick
23rd Nov 2011, 14:34
I’m with Ghost and James, Bruce Dickinson could easily do nothing and relax with his substantial personal wealth or he could look for employment elsewhere, he’s an experienced pilot with plenty of hours and I’m sure many operators would love the PR spin of having a rock star on the books. Instead he is trying to do something positive and raise a meaningful operation from what is left of Astraeus, that takes some balls especially in the current economic climate. Personally I wish him and all those working with him on this endeavour nothing but success.

757_Driver
23rd Nov 2011, 16:31
No doubt those of you knocking bruce will also be looking to the government to raise taxes in the budget next week in order to stimulate the economy and employ more civil servants.
No? Really?
Well stop knocking someone who's trying to create private sector jobs and tax revenue then.Especially when he could just walk away.

AEU haven't been 'reliant' on pay to fly for 5 years or more. I'm not sure they were ever 'reliant' on it. But the current 'business model' was a worldwide AOC ACMI specialist and they were very good at it. especially in getting in and out of 'interesting' places. (they did the home office tripoli and cairo flights for example). They were very good at that, and made some good money. Unfortunately one megalomaniac at the top causing constant disruption, put enough spanners in the works to cause a problem.
I've no doubt that with a decent bit of capital to fund the peaks and troughs of the cashflow that the business model that they were running will be a sound ongoing business.
Yes I left because I wasn't overly happy with the lifestyle and some of the 'attitudes' of a couple of people at the top, and no i didn't agree with everything they did (however the couple of people at the top who will not be involved from now on will probably take those issues with them). But I don't blame the employees of any company for the actions of a handful of arseholes at the top, or shall we all start yelling at the counter girls at RBS for ruining the economy?

I've flown with bruce on many occasions and he is a professional experienced pilot, and he certainly does not view it as a "hobby". Most of us juggle work and home lives and some of us, myself included, juggle work and another business too. However bruce often made me dizzy with just how much he managed to juggle and just how hard he worked. By all means knock the guy if you've met him or dealt with him and don't like him, but lets try and keep pointless petty envy off this shall we, from people who have clearly never dealt with him, or any other people involved with astreaus.

Witraz
23rd Nov 2011, 17:11
Thank you 757driver,
I know successful folk who have other interests. I have not met Bruce but know others who have. Is it sour grapes that drive the folk to point fingers? Simple logic states Bruce will be better off than his colleagues under the circumstances however he too enjoys flying and serving the public. I wish the very best for all.

fade to grey
23rd Nov 2011, 17:17
Ah, now we get to the bottom of it. Narrowmind is either an airbus pilot we employed then de-employed when the airbus did n't really happen,

The other one is Aerlingus, well ok no sympathy from your 600 (thus demonstarting lack of basic human decency) but it wasn't me that arranged to fly your airbuses alright ? Nor my wife or kids...

If you wanna get nasty I don't think it'll be long before pikeyair wipe your dinosaur into oblivion...

Anyway my most learned colleague 757 driver (how's the new job big boy), is correct. Just because Brucey happens to be a rock star it does n't follow that he takes it less seriously than the rest - infact you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with the sheer enthusiasm he has for airline flying dispite the fact he is financially secure. But then again envy hardly ever shows much reason....

Swedishflyingkiwi
23rd Nov 2011, 17:32
I have not met Bruce, but his passion for flying aircraft is easily found through his Discovery TV programmes. His passion and personality could be a good head "face" for a rebuilt Astreus.... PR, passion, personality.... almost makes me think of some 'virgin' guy :)

bruce dickinson flying - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bruce+dickinson+flying&oq=bruce+dickinson+flying&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=5197l6994l0l7497l7l7l0l4l4l0l141l355l1.2l3l0)

Out Of Trim
23rd Nov 2011, 17:55
I have met Bruce plenty of times and he is a normal nice bloke and a true professional pilot!

Narrow, I know who I would rather fly with; and it's not you! :)

Max Autobrake
23rd Nov 2011, 18:12
Good luck to the good guys I knew there, however there are many people with long memories who won't mourn AEU's passing.

I have the pleasure of working with RB who timed his exit to perfection, but where is MF these days?

757_Driver
23rd Nov 2011, 18:32
however there are many people with long memories who won't mourn AEU's passing

well they're petty and vindictive saddo's then. Move on with your life - honestly who carries a grudge around for years and years? :rolleyes:
Also as I said before don't confuse the actions of a few people with the company and employees as a whole.

Ali Ronn
23rd Nov 2011, 19:38
I remember well the happy days when this much interest around Astraeus was generated because of its birth, rather than its sad demise. The fastest AOC in history I believe...

Well, I don't believe in reincarnation, but I live in hope! Good luck Bruce

Hamrah
23rd Nov 2011, 21:20
I don't understand why posts mentioning me are disappearing. Certainly news to me. Thanks for all your good wishes guys, particulary those who I recruited ..and of course those first PPRuNe Cadets we took on.

Onward and upward..

Widewings
23rd Nov 2011, 22:23
I am ex-Flystar, company email is switched off, does anyone have private email adress of Bruce here? If so, please private it to me, thank you very much!

Monde
23rd Nov 2011, 22:44
I really can't see an Astraeus 2 working , sorry Bruce. Since late 2007 , apart from Euroatlantic (dreadful!)pretty much ALL pure ACMI operators have gone bust -i'm not including Titan as they are kept going by the royal mail/Falklands gig..Long term ACMI at a good hourly rate is a luxury due to overcapacity , something that is in short supply these days and only really works in times of economic boom.

Poltergeist
23rd Nov 2011, 23:28
just been told email goes back on today

Avenger
24th Nov 2011, 09:20
The Icelandics seem to have their own agenda, IEX getting new A/C and WOW AIR starting up, new AOCs, and in the mean time routes suddenly covered by CSA and Norwegen? Hmmm? these things take a while to organise, I suspect they knew well in advance the plug would be pulled. The financial constraints imposed by the CAA for start up airlines, new lease costs and deposits, and the ACMI business model will be unattractive to investors with so much spare capacity in the market, sadly it's the end of the road..but if the guys are prepared to work abroad and fits their home lives, there are many opportunities around.

beachbud
24th Nov 2011, 10:51
Did some work with them over the years and enjoyed the company of the crews I flew with. All the best to them in finding work.

pjdj777
24th Nov 2011, 11:51
Well, as one of those Pprune cadets, I am very grateful to AEU for the opportunities they afforded me and I'm gutted that they're not around anymore.

It's a real shame to see one of the "can do" airlines fall. Good luck, boys and girls, here's hoping the Air Raid Siren succeeds.

airbourne
24th Nov 2011, 13:37
I was just thinking of PJDJ as an AEU cadet. Where did you end up?

Fresca
24th Nov 2011, 13:50
Without wishing to extend thread drift - Wasn't it a whole nation that voted not to repay debts?

Not really. The nation just did not agreed to the terms dictated to them by a a fellow NATO nation that classified them as a terrorist country. As far as I know the process of repayment is ongoing as we speak. But I expect not much here in this forum, as Icelanders have been called fish stinking nation, and cod-heads over and over again in almost every thread remotely connecting to this island nation.
If anyone here really thinks that a regular Icelander is proud of those sharks you are more bonkers than any of them.

Back to topic?

pjdj777
24th Nov 2011, 16:19
Quit AEU 7 years ago, still on the 73, left seat.

RoyHudd
24th Nov 2011, 18:00
You simply cannot trust those fish-stinking Icelandic people. Their track record of deceipt and duplicity over the last 10 years is extraordinary. Of course there are many decent people among them, but commercially this little island breeds more dishonest managers than anywhere west of Istanbul.

proxus
24th Nov 2011, 20:36
You simply cannot trust those fish-stinking Icelandic people.

All in all there are about 30-40 persons who are primarily responsible for those financial doings in Iceland and abroad. Please do not generalize a whole nation because of few rotten apples. We hate them for it as much if not more than you guys as we suffer for it more than you do.

Iron Duke
24th Nov 2011, 21:00
Bruce is a serious and charismatic man .. and if he can use his influence to get the show back on the road, then good luck to him.
AEU had some very competent people working for it, and if it is resurrected I am sure it can re-establish it's niche if properly supported.
As ex AEU myself I wish everyone the best of good fortune ....

JSCL
24th Nov 2011, 21:18
Problem is, now they've called in administrators, finding long term business from named players like TCX and BMI becomes a heck of a lot more difficult. Some a/c will need disposing and should AEU need new/more A/C under Mr Dickinson, the banks won't touch the company,he would likely have to find investors daring enough or fund it himself.

It's going to be tricky. But wish him well.

vulcanised
24th Nov 2011, 21:32
Please do not generalize a whole nation because of few rotten apples

Without wishing to extend thread drift - Wasn't it a whole nation that voted not to repay debts?

mini
24th Nov 2011, 22:57
As for the bad Icelanders etc.

Who gave them the money... :hmm:

I'd guess its the same people who are now causing havok in the Eurozone and elsewhere.

Not by any way absolving the Icelanders, just...

Tyres O'Flaherty
25th Nov 2011, 01:06
Fact is, Bruce had all the love, adulation, blowing smoke up his arse, money, etc in 1983 onwards.

Furthermore, he's not an idiot.

I suspect he's got a good idea for how to make what's left a going concern.

Just my opinion

Kirks gusset
25th Nov 2011, 02:44
Is AEU in administration, that is being run by the Administrators and still trading or is it in Liquidation, i.e ceased trading and being shut down? if it's the latter, then it is no longer a " going concern" The problem may be that even if it still "exists" should the aircarft be retuned to the lease companies, that's game over and there is nothing to "resurrect", either way.. good luck

opsjockey
25th Nov 2011, 08:09
No flights since 21st, 1 acft went back to leasing company 2 days ago (flew under is registration number). Unsure of the status of the others.

BOAC4ME
25th Nov 2011, 17:32
Just wanted to echo what has been said earlier, have had the privelidge of dealing with Astraeus on many occasions over the years on a number of special charter flights, have always found the crew and flight deck to be professional and personable and the ops staff to be very proactive and knowledgeable, I wish them all the best for the future whatever that may be.

proxus
25th Nov 2011, 20:56
Wasn't it a whole nation that voted not to repay debts?

This hardly warrants a reply however....

If you do a little search beyond your tabloids you could find out that at the latter state of the negotiations there was never the question about repaying. The vote was about the terrible imperialistic terms and conditions that UK was trying to squeeze upon Iceland. In fact, the bank in question that was responsible for those debts does have the assets to repay the amount with compound interest and will do so if it hasn't started already.

Poltergeist
26th Nov 2011, 07:14
And you are not entirely accurate here are you proxus? A bit of thread creep but the money that was voted on was to be repaid to two countries not one as your post implies. people polled after the vote said they voted no because they did not see why the government should use tax payers money to bail out private banks for the loan guarantee. The structure of the loans was built partly about the rules of IMF funding that Iceland was seeking. Ironically, it could end up costing more in the long term. I think with what happened at Glitner and subsequent allegations, it is natural that people are going to be suspicious and angry at what has happened to AEU.

For my part, there are some great people at KEF who tried very hard in a difficult summer to keep the operation on track and some equally great people at Gatwick doing the same. When it comes to financial compensation for their work, they will likely as not get very much and at this time of year that is very hard and sad.

m500dpp
26th Nov 2011, 14:17
When it comes to financial compensation for their work, they will likely as not get very much and at this time of year that is very hard and sad.

Looks as if staff wont get anything, November wages wont be paid, and they have to fill in a claim for what they are owed.

Not sure whether the Govt are obliged to pay anything in these circumstances, anyone know?

no sponsor
26th Nov 2011, 15:50
I got made redundant a while ago when my base was closed at my last airline, and was at the receiving end of some suspect employment law interpretation, and found myself looking for an airline job. It was a tough market, unfortunately ruined by the likes of CTC, EasyJet and Ryanair, since no-one is interested in experienced F/Os any more.

Anyhow, from a point of despair, I finally ended up with a really good F/O job, much better than my previous job.

I was chatting to a AEU 757 Captn at LGW (an ex-BA skipper) a few weeks ago who talked of impending doom at AEU.

I hope you all find employment soon.

Buster the Bear
26th Nov 2011, 21:04
G-PJPJ at Lasham.

ScottyDawg
26th Nov 2011, 22:46
Hi All,

I was the Captain that flew the last AEU flight out of Iceland.. bound for LGW on the 21st Nov....

I wish to share with you all.. the fact that all my Icelandic colleagues were concerned that morning for the future of the airline (3 crews on the bus)..... and I can tell you that it was a collective concern...well shared and equally contributed to...
Nothing to do with Icelandics Vs.. Non-Icelandics... Rather a fully fledged group of professionals working together to ensure that the travelling public got what they paid for....and concerned for their collective, professional future together...

Regardless of the very personal comments made on this thread... I can tell you that my Icelandic colleagues are some of the finest personalities it has been my pleasure to meet.. and work with that I have ever experienced.

I find it very offensive to categorise and indulge in personable comments that are,..at the very least devicive and sterotyped

Government policies and other such boll*cks have nothing to do with good, professional individuals..simply trying to do their best ..under difficult circumstances - and I do wish that the majority of readers on this thread recognise that.

It is fabulous news that such a high profile and connsumate businessman as Capt. Bruce Dickinson.. wishes to attempt to look after his friends and colleagues in such a noteworthy manner...
He should be applauded for the attempt..whether successful or not......period.
How many so-called "Company Officers" in recent memory have sat quite happily overseeing the demise of the Companies they were placed in charge of - go down the tubes
As opposed to commit themselves to what Bruce Dickinson has very publicly proposed.... Rather.. they ran away when they were sacked with their 3 million pay-offs... (aka MyTravel 2004)

Anyway my friends...(both Icelandic and UK)... It was an absolute pleasure to work with you.. and be in your company... I hope to see you all soon.. and I send you my very best regards

Scotty D..xx

aztruck
27th Nov 2011, 00:12
Scotty. You got it in one. I'm not going to post except to say that I have many Icelandics who I might call a friend. They have suffered as much as we at AEU have. Our only consolation is that the individuals to blame for our demise are no longer anything to do with us.
There are some people who, no matter how much money they may have, should not be let loose trying to run a business.
The percentage chance of getting back in the air is, frankly, not great.
On the other hand, I think it has trebled in probability since monday, and there is a model which works - makes money- and de risks the downside.
See you down the pub folks.
"What a ride"
Work in progress..............

Skystar320
27th Nov 2011, 05:18
I had the pleasure of dealing with a few within AEU, nothing but praise. Always jumped when asked and provided the information.

The aircraft were perfect [except for our little accident with the loo] Great company, Great People.

Wish all the best for those who are looking for work.

Phalconphixer
28th Nov 2011, 13:57
Just watched Astreus G-STRF on fltradar 24 en route from Copenhagen. Aircraft dropped out of cover near Bentley so presumably headed for Lasham...
Flightradar24.com - Live Flight Tracker! (http://www.flightradar24.com/#!/2011-11-28/12:50/GSTRF)

pp

Shaman
28th Nov 2011, 15:12
What happened to the crews who were downroute when the airline ceased operations? Did the administrator pay the hotel bills so the crews could check out - what about repatriation flights?

SLF-Flyer
28th Nov 2011, 17:05
G-OJIB has just left Gatwick heading west on Flightradar24.

Left Ireland's west coast at 19:00.

mmeteesside
28th Nov 2011, 18:14
G-STRF did indeed go into Lasham, G-OJIB left Gatwick for Montreal Mirabel. Also G-STRI left Gatwick for Sofia today.

SCANDIC
28th Nov 2011, 19:48
whats going to happen with G-STRW, would it maybe go to fed ex as she's getting on a bit.

opsjockey
29th Nov 2011, 13:31
G-STRW is still parked up at Brize Norton

commit aviation
29th Nov 2011, 15:48
Last week AEU find them self in financial difficulties & go out of business.

This week AA are in financial difficulties, file for Chapter 11 protection & carry on.

Level playing field????? :confused:

tipbuster
30th Nov 2011, 00:08
Shame about the news for all, some like me came from CFE including. most of Engineering staff, I was there at inception of AEU and watched it grow for 5 years, miss many of the nice guys and gals that worked there good luck to you all and hope you find work soon, don't trust the Icelandics- Palmi been too involved with other 'ceased trading' airlines. Mr Parry I thought left some years ago? was he still in the background after all? he of course was in the boardroom of Air Europe and that went down also!!!!!!!! Apologies if he isn't involved,but just rading the BBC news edtion from 21st Nov and it quotes him.

Notso Fantastic
30th Nov 2011, 22:20
Hugh Parry was brought in relatively recently after spending several years elsewhere. He tried his best to save the company. I had the pleasure to work there for over 5 years after a long career in BA. I will say that the professionalism and enthusiasm there, both cabin and flight deck, was unrivalled. As said previously, we flew to some weird and wonderful places such as one that even Jeppesen don't produce any charts for whatsoever. We always had excellent briefings for the weird places we flew to. With old equipment, we extracted all they could give.....to get the job done. All done with a superb safety record. My colleagues were as good as any I've ever seen, again cabin and flight deck. I enjoyed it. It's odd reading various sick people extracting pleasure from this eventuality or singling out individuals for criticism- everyone was working hard and efficiently to keep the company going. It shows how brutal this economy has become.

Having lost 4 airlines now, I don't know how the Icelandic bosses will be able to get more aeroplanes. Certain bizarre decisions taken by them must have been instrumental in them driving Astraeus under and abrogating their responsibilities there. Whatever, the one good out of this is that such a foreign owned airline will no longer be flying foreign services out of a foreign base operating on a UK AOC- I hope the CAA will take more interest, because British subjects have been treated abominably in this outcome. Well done everybody- the failure was not with you.

glad rag
1st Dec 2011, 11:38
Once again, sad news and good luck to all.

SalesConsult
2nd Dec 2011, 18:33
Shaman

What happened to the crews who were downroute when the airline ceased operations? Did the administrator pay the hotel bills so the crews could check out - what about repatriation flights?

As hotac are mostly reserved in airine's name, crews can check out without being held liable.

If bills are settled by crews rather on account crew would be wise not to settle accommodation bills except personal bills. They will never get the monies back from administrator if they use personal monies for hotac. In most cases like this arrangement is made before hand with captain on positioning or parking of aircraft and that should include repatriation of all crews.

Notso Fantastic
3rd Dec 2011, 09:24
I understand the few aeroplanes on turnarounds were grounded and the crews brought direct back to base by EJ. Not sure what arrangements were made for their effects, but the company credit card was still valid. There appears to have been a pretty seamless (and secret!) transfer of operations to CSA Holidays flying A320s via temporary use of Jet Time of Denmark. Further ramifications now are: the ground handling agents/ops/pax staff/engineering at KEF have all been laid off permanently after achieving 6 months in the job following the disastrous overnight decision to change handlers at KEF for 1 June (by the director who ended up in dispute with Fengur after being dismissed, and who is now starting a new airline called 'Wow' with Canadians now- as the new owner reported: 'Wow' upside down is 'Mom', giving you a nice warm cuddly feeling, and I think he added 'wrapping round you keeping you warm' or something like that, but I was feeling rather ill at that stage and couldn't really absorb it.). Also, a significant number of KEF based Astraeus pilots, both British and Icelandic, have also been seen off. I'm not sure the IEX cabin crew status- they had already lost temporary summer staff, and the new operation is smaller, so I would guess more have gone.

It's not a good record- 4 airlines sent to the chopping block by this company, and another patsy being lined up. IEX will have to contend with Norwegian, WOW or MOM or whatever it is, and EJ on the routes as well now. The (ex) staff are bewildered- the whole caboodle dumped in the bin on a demand for more cash, worldwide AOC which is supposed to be worth something, forthcoming contracts in the Far East (2) and Africa which some say were still possibly on. And talk of a takeover bid fended off in September. I gather the public relations of IEX in Iceland are now dire. One wishes them better luck (than we had!)- unlike some in this thread, one does not want to see enterprises flounder and good, hard working people, doing their best, thrown out.

This site has all you need to know, get Google translating for you:
Fréttaleit: astraeus - mbl.is (http://www.mbl.is/frettir/search/?period=0&category=&sort=1&qs=astraeus&submit=Leita)

yoland
3rd Dec 2011, 17:39
Just heard a certain Swiss based company is refusing to honor the contracts for pilots they employed and sub-contracted to Astraeus. Whats the point of a contract. Surely there are provisions to deal with situations like this. Aviation circle is small and people dont forget to easily.Do the right thing and honor the contracts! Pay these poor guys.:=

Phileas Fogg
3rd Dec 2011, 18:53
yoland,

I would imagine such contracts read, to the effect, "If we don't get paid then you don't get paid" and whilst life can be tough, if correct, that certain Swiss based company would be honoring the T&C's of contract(s) by not paying ... after all ... they're already out of pocket having not been paid also.

aztruck
4th Dec 2011, 16:05
I think there is a chap who lives in Iceland you might need to talk to. The truth is, no one has been paid, not lessors, cab companies, training providers and maintenance companies.....or pilots and staff, whether permanent or contracted.
Its unlikely anyone will be is the sad truth.

Shaman
4th Dec 2011, 16:15
<<Just heard a certain Swiss based company....>>

When I was considering this same company for a contract they assured me that they always required salaries in advance from the airline so that they could guarantee their crews' salaries.

BOAC
4th Dec 2011, 20:20
I think there is a chap who lives in Iceland - is that the one who lives in Kef?

yoland
5th Dec 2011, 09:03
This is also my understanding having worked as a contractor a few years ago. Would be very suprised if this agency was left out in the cold.:cool:

aztruck
6th Dec 2011, 12:21
My understanding is that the contract company themselves have not been paid. Just about everyone is a month in arrears, permanent folk as well. Notice period is a forlorm pipe dream I fear. Although its a lot of money, it pales in comparison to the other creditors, who will be at the front of the queue for the scraps.
Big piece in the Danish papers about pax left in the lurch by the cancellation of New York services. Astraeus (owned by ICEX owner and front for his ticket sales) is liable under EU law I believe.
Being bust is very unfortunate for those poor folk who booked in good faith.
One or two journos are starting to dig deeper. One hopes they continue to do so.
Mr Palmi Haraldsson has a complex set of business arrangements to say the least.

BOAC
6th Dec 2011, 13:40
Any news of what Ham Rambler is up to?

Poltergeist
6th Dec 2011, 18:53
Snowed in in kef I think BOAC :E

BOAC
6th Dec 2011, 19:20
Wow!......

Hamrah
7th Dec 2011, 00:32
yep, sitting up here in my little apartment in KEF. Not sure what happens next. First time I've been unemployed since I was 17. Now, like hundreds of others, I'm out pushing my CV around. Best of luck to all my former colleagues. This isn't the way we wanted it all to end...very sad.

BOAC
8th Dec 2011, 16:45
Astraeus: first commercial flight 6 April 2002 LGW-AGP with already 'work commitments' from 22 tour operators. Led by Hugh parry and funded by Aberdeen asset management.

ashland
19th Dec 2011, 14:59
for Aztruck and Boac:

I think there is a chap who lives in Iceland you might need to talk to. The truth is, no one has been paid, not lessors, cab companies, training providers and maintenance companies.....or pilots and staff, whether permanent or contracted.
Its unlikely anyone will be is the sad truth.

Actually Mr Palmi Haraldsson lives in London, however his legal residence is in tax-heavenish
Luxembourg, luckily he is seldom seen here in Iceland, Gott sei Dank !!

featherman
26th Jan 2012, 11:23
R.I.P Astarueas

Thanks Hamrah for the "once I a lifetime break".

I probably speak for the other 3 pprune cadets when I say they were halcyon days never forgotten.

All the best.

Buster the Bear
7th Feb 2012, 18:58
Bruce Dickinson, the lead singer of Iron Maiden, will speak at the Advantage conference in what will be his first address to a UK travel audience.

Drawing on his experience as a rock star, a commercial airline pilot and past marketing director at Astraeus Airlines, Dickinson will talk about change management and the need to be agile and flexible in business.

He was previously a pilot and marketing director for Astraeus Airlines which recently went into administration but which he is now in the process of leading out of liquidation.

Shaman
5th May 2012, 18:49
So, where are all the pilots nowadays - rumour has it that some are now in the Gulf and one is with BA?

New T2 Office
5th May 2012, 19:58
2 have joined us on the MON Boeing fleet........................

Deaf Tortoise
6th May 2012, 18:39
From the "weekly joiners" lists that our company publishes, I have seen that there are at least 4
from the 737 fleet that are coming to Jet2. (Some employed, some on contract).

They will be made most welcome. It is the nature and culture of the company.
(Somewhat biased I know)

Shaman
6th May 2012, 18:53
Thanks guys - I know that one FO went to Atlantic Airlines.

Notso Fantastic
7th May 2012, 14:02
I C, 2 F/O I believe. Several with Jet2 at Newcastle, and over the last year. Several to BA, the Gulf, 2 or 3 to Almaty.....in fact still scattering to the four winds. These are pilots who know how to work hard and take pretty awful conditions with great aplomb!

Notso Fantastic
26th Dec 2012, 08:57
How strange. Has anyone noticed EVERY mention of Astraeus post-failure has been excised from Pprune altogether? Every subsequent thread removed. An eminently forgettable airline long overdue for the block, but also totally removed from history!

See how far a search gets you!

compton3bravo
26th Dec 2012, 12:19
Got to disagree with you Notso about being a forgettable airline. The only time I flew Astreaus was on a charter to Lisbon on a B757 from Gatwick and enjoyable it was too. Flight on time, leather seats, good seat pitch, excellent breakfast - if you can call airline breakfasts that - and very friendly crew.

ashbyjon
27th Dec 2012, 15:52
"An eminently forgettable airline"? I beg to disagree. I've flown with them on six occasions from BHX/MLA & EMA/MLA and found them to be far above Ryanair, Easyjet, etc. in every aspect, from a passenger's point of view.

VC10man
27th Dec 2012, 17:05
Are they the airline who employed a chap who became a rock legend?:D

aer lingus
27th Dec 2012, 17:30
He was a rock "legend" first.:E

Laasjet
27th Dec 2012, 17:55
He is the vocalist of Iron Maiden, Airline Captain on 737/757's, writer. international fencer, author, screenwriter, actor and has started Cardiff Aviaion at St Athan. The kind of "chap" that many of us would like to emulate but don't have the talent.