PDA

View Full Version : Canadian working in the US

737md
20th Nov 2011, 21:21
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on these forums.

I am a Canadian high school student, looking at certain fast track routes into the airlines. I know in Canada, it can be a very slow process, and it is quite difficult to build hours. The aviation degree programs in Canada aren't the same, or as good IMHO. From what I am reading, it can be a bit quicker in the United States.

I have been looking at going to either UND or CWU for my post-secondary education. From what I hear, the career progression is pretty good in the US. A lot of colleges have agreements with regional airlines, that once you reach their requirements, you can get an interview. My understanding too is that it can be pretty quick to get the requirements. For example, the F/O on the Colgan crash (didn't want to use this as an example for anything negative) had 2 200 TT, 720 on the DH8D, and she was only 24. That would suggest to me that she was able to get onto the Dash pretty quick and build a lot of hours after University. Am I correct on this? How long on average do you think it would take to get to the regional requirements, say through instructing?

Also, the main issue for me is working in the US. I have heard of Canadian pilots working down there; some transiting down from their home in Canada to their jobs. Is it possible to do this, and get some sort of working pass? Or would I need a green card and otherwise be impossible?

Thanks in advance!

Left Coaster
21st Nov 2011, 02:33
Two words: Green Card... two more: Low Pay...Last two: Good Luck! ;)

Sky Slug
21st Nov 2011, 05:49
I'm a UND graduate. As harsh as my words might seem, I would say don't even bother.

Frankly, I hit the Powerball jackpot being at a major at 27. I happened to run into the right people at the right time who helped me get my present job. My fraternity brothers are just reaching CA at 33 or 35 at their regional. It's a long and arduous slog here for most American pilots.

First of all, if I had to do it all over again I'd go to a normal state college and get a degree in Accounting or Management. I'd do flight training on the side. You can build hours without putting yourself hundred of thousands of dollars in debt. Plus, you'll graduate with a degree that means something in the real world.

Secondly, you're probably not going to get a work visa unless you get hitched with an American girl. We have plenty of unemployed pilots, not to mention unemployed non-pilots here.

UND is a fantastic school, and they have a fantastic flight training program. I have nothing to say except positive things about the people at North Dakota. However, to go there and expect a job in American aviation is a bad idea.

737md
21st Nov 2011, 15:21
I guess that answers by question.

Thanks for the help from both of you. I know the green card and/or work visa is very difficult to get in the United States. The industry seemed as if it was better for low-time pilots down in the state, but I guess I was wrong.

I think my best bet is probably to stay in Canada and get by BEng, then work on the ramp for a while so that someone will hire me right seat on a Navajo or something.

Thanks again for your guy's time.

Cheers