PDA

View Full Version : Luton to Glasgow, 39000ft in the cruise ?

Mr Optimistic
20th Nov 2011, 21:10
Being a bit dozy on an early morning flight, thought I heard that we were at 39k ft roughly over Manchester. Usually its 34/35k. Was I just misunderstanding ?

DTY/LKS
20th Nov 2011, 23:21
Normally on the way down Glasgow to Luton then you would be at FL350, FL370 or FL390, usuually.
On the way up, abeam Manchester then you would "normally" be about FL340, so I think on this day the plane must have been quite empty. Sometimes due traffic you would fly North cruising at FL350, so maybe he said 35 & you heard 39?? Who knows.

Hope this helps.

Mr Optimistic
20th Nov 2011, 23:30
Thanks. More than likely, but the flight did seem different than usual (spoilers on descent), crossed my mind that there might have been some hand flying going on. that's the trouble with being a nervous passenger, too much thinking and not enough facts ! Couldn't see why you would bother hauling up to that altitude for what is essentially a 'triangular' profile. Thanks again.

PAXboy
21st Nov 2011, 02:18
I paxed on the EDI~LTN route extensively in 2000/early 2001 on a project and often chatted to the FC and was even on the flight deck for one trip!

I learnt that it was, mostly, up to cruise in 18 mins / in cruise for 20 and down. making a wheels-to-wheels of 50/60 mins depending on weather and the approach available. Sometimes they DID go higher and gain the benefits of the thinner air, they said. Also, the route was pretty standard - except for the days when it wasn't! The weather and other other a/c movements can change things.

dhc83driver
21st Nov 2011, 18:34
Cruise levels can very a lot due to wind / turb etc. Also on aircraft performance. We cruise up at FL40 /FL 41 between London City and Scotland if it is favorable. With a good departure out of London and continuous climb it can save a lot on fuel and tends to be above the worst weather. I`ve also been as low as FL25 due wind and weather. It all depends on the day!

Mr Optimistic
21st Nov 2011, 21:41
dhc, OK, thanks.