PDA

View Full Version : W7 Media Center jittery live TV [SOLVED]

The late XV105
20th Nov 2011, 13:33
Purpose
Posted for the benefit of anyone out in cyberspace searching for "Windows7 Media Center jittery live TV" or "Windows7 mouse pointer freezes". These two apparently separate problems turned out to have a common solution.

Background
In my case, these problems happened directly after a fresh installation of W7 Professional 64-bit SP1, the same hardware* having performed perfectly when running XP SP3 Media Center Edition 2005 Rollup 2. All relevant drivers are each manufacturer's latest for W7 64-bit. There is some useful advice available for these apparently frequent problems but it pales in to insignifance amongst the complete carp and guesswork.

Solution
In my case at least, the eventual solution was simple in the extreme: In the BIOS for the motherboard, change "PEG Link Mode" from AUTO to FAST (There is a FASTER too, but I didn't select it). From what I can deduce, PEG is an acronym for P(CI) Express Graphic (card), and setting the link mode to FAST results in mild overclocking of the graphics card. Job done. Both problems solved.

TLXV

*Hardware
ASUS P5N32-SLI Motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz CPU
3x1GB DDR 667 RAM
4x SATA and 1xeSATA Barracuda HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT GPU
Hauppage WinTV-HVR-2200 (http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hvr2200mc.html) PCI Express twin tuner TV card

Mr Optimistic
20th Nov 2011, 17:21
Tech ARP - ASUS PEG Link Mode Guide Rev. 2.0 (http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=248)

seems to explain it

The late XV105
20th Nov 2011, 18:32
Thanks for that, Mr O.

Interesting reading, and I'll now share this thread with the authors as an example of beneficial use.

TLXV

Mike-Bracknell
21st Nov 2011, 11:51
Is this only an issue for you with live TV as opposed to (for instance) Blu-Ray playback?

I ask, as i'm currently running a W7 x64 server as a media centre and not seen the issue.

The late XV105
21st Nov 2011, 14:03
Indeed; this only manifested with live TV playback using W7's Media Center. All other AV sources played back through Media Center, Media Player, or anything else were perfectly fine.

About 30 hours on since I performed the BIOS tweak, all has remained fine; the media server continues to stream live TV without breakup - and for the hell of it in parallel with my test of it looping two HD movies over the Cat5e network to separate laptops.