PDA

View Full Version : Dell Laptop battery

BOAC
20th Nov 2011, 10:49
Mrs B has an Inspiron 6400 - probably at least 4 years old, and mostly run on mains so def in the 'battery zone'. Flashing 4 reds 1 green on the power LED. I have Googled, run it down, removed it, recharged it and tested it (5 greens on both tests). Still there.

Do I start digging a small hole in our garden or are there any other tricks anyone knows? Will leaving it flashing cause any damage (battery rarely needed) or is it best to remove it?

islander539
20th Nov 2011, 11:11
I have been running my 2003 Latitude on mains, without a battery since 2007. No problems yet.

mixture
20th Nov 2011, 12:40
Will leaving it flashing cause any damage (battery rarely needed) or is it best to remove it?

Remove it or replace it, but don't leave a dodgy battery in-situ.

I have been running my 2003 Latitude on mains, without a battery since 2007. No problems yet.

Not sure why you would ever expect any problems running a laptop without a battery ?

Capetonian
20th Nov 2011, 12:48
Not sure why you would ever expect any problems running a laptop without a battery ?
Only if you have a power failure or the dog walks over the power lead and it comes unplugged!

green granite
20th Nov 2011, 13:00
I think it's a hangover from the days where some electronic stuff came with a dire warning that it must never be run without a battery.

mixture
20th Nov 2011, 15:04
Fair enough, was worried for a minute I might have missed something I should know.... :\

islander539
20th Nov 2011, 15:32

Was responding to the question "or is it best to remove it?"

BOAC
20th Nov 2011, 16:26
Thanks all - out it will come and I might just buy her a new one for Xmas depending on how generous I feel............................

Slasher
21st Nov 2011, 03:00
Had the same problem BOAC - it did not cause any problems
whatsoever. I only changed the battery after I got jack of the
flickering yellow light some months later.

Couple of suggestions -

- if your going to operate your laptop for long periods of time
on mains, you'll extend the life of the battery by removing it.

- BatteryBar (http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/index.html) is a bloody good program for keeping an eye on
actual battery wear. I recommended same to someone here
a few months ago

PS no need to by Pro version - the free one is good enough
for the purpose.

BOAC
21st Nov 2011, 07:41
Thanks Slasher (how's the dancing....:)?) - I think since it covers battery performance and we don't really use that I'll give it a bye.