PDA

View Full Version : Virus / Malware: Star Search

Load Toad
19th Nov 2011, 22:16
My fault - looking for a football stream - computer has picked up 'star search' virus that tries to change the home page to a search engine which redirects searches to advertisements / other nasty sites.

I'm going through all the usual with Spybot scans / Anti Virus scans etc.

But - any one had this before and / or any recommendations?

Spurlash2
19th Nov 2011, 23:01
This has been around for a while.

Try THIS (http://www.freemalwarecheck.com/malware-09/search-star-search-net-removal.html)for a fix.

PS. Microsoft Security Essentials, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes and CCleaner. That's what keeps me 'clean' !

Load Toad
20th Nov 2011, 00:03
Thanks, I use AVG, CCleaner & Spybot already - running Stopzilla now so we'll see if it sorts it.

Gomrath
20th Nov 2011, 00:32
But - any one had this before and / or any recommendations?
Get a decent virus scanner that would have blocked this as soon as you entered that website. :ok:

Load Toad
20th Nov 2011, 02:05
Yes & it would have helped if I hadn't been web surfin' drunk too.

onetrack
20th Nov 2011, 06:03
I have Online-Armor on my laptop and I find it excellent. There's 3 varieties to choose from - O-A free, O-A Premium and O-A ++, which is the equivalent of a Fort Knox gold vault.
It's pretty good to use, doesn't want to take over your computer, and it gives you a number of options when it discovers something that it doesn't like or recognise.
It rates 5 cows, and it's got a number of other awards and kudos as well. I'm very happy with it, it's certainly amongst the better AV setups.

Gomrath
20th Nov 2011, 16:14
Yes & it would have helped if I hadn't been web surfin' drunk too.
That is irrelevant.
Get a decent Anti Virus product that protects your machine proactively.
No decent AV product should let a virus through.
I run Kaspersky and have never had a virus land on my machines.

You get what you pay for and AV is one product I will happily pay.
An AV product that releases virus signature updates days or weeks after a virus becomes known is useless. You need updates within hours.