PDA

View Full Version : aircraft maintenance to pilot!!

93pilot
19th Nov 2011, 16:12
Hi ppruners,

I'm currently an aircraft maintenance apprentice with a dream to become a commercial pilot.
I went straight from school into my apprenticeship in the hope that it would set me in good stead for a piloting career, ive always thought that a guy who can fix an aircraft and fly it would be sought after on the commercial pilot scene....

I was hoping for you guys to advise me on what path to go down (modular or integrated), also if any airlines are funding cadet schemes as the cost of qualifying is extortionate!!!

Finally i would like to know if an airline would see my background in maintenance a positive and a more employable candidate?

any suggestions are welcome

tolakuma manki
19th Nov 2011, 18:33
Helicopter pilot on tuna boat - good to be mechanic and pilot.

redsnail
19th Nov 2011, 19:43
In Europe, your maintenance experience will be "nice" but not strictly useful. Given all the protocols etc. However, it won't be a bad thing and it won't go against you.

If you were flogging around Africa, Canada, Australia then the bush operators would snatch you off the streets. (Assuming you had piston engines etc)

With respect to funding cadet schemes. Err have you not noticed the BA scheme? It's not exactly like the "old days" but it's better than paying for it yourself.

Modular v integrated. That's another debate you can search through.
Essentially, if you want to go straight to an airline RHS with a min hour CPL/IR, you'll probably need an Integrated course and a lot of luck. If not, save the ££ and do a modular course.