PDA

View Full Version : iPad flight planning app?

The Love Doctor
18th Nov 2011, 22:46
Does anybody know if there is any flight planning apps for iPad/iMac ?

If anyone knows of an app available or being developed please let me know!

Cheers

TLD:ok:

Pilotette
18th Nov 2011, 22:51
Have you had a look at AvPlan? I'm still getting used to it but its not bad!

Jack Ranga
18th Nov 2011, 23:09
Luuurve Doctor,

I have a separate windows partition on my Mac. It doesn't affect the mac partition at all. It's quite handy as there are still programs that are not supported by mac yet.

Bevan666
19th Nov 2011, 02:56
Hi Love Doctor,

Check out AvPlan at www.avsoft.com.au (http://www.avsoft.com.au/) and it can be found in the App Store : AvPlan for iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/avplan/id417674282?mt=8)

It is an iPad flight planning app with full NAIPS integration, all Airservices maps, DAP, ERSA and aircraft load calculations. It comes with a months fully featured free trial period.

If you have tried it and it has expired, it will work for a number of days when a new version is released, so for those who have tried it, feel free to give it a go if you see a new version.

We are continually improving the product by adding new functionality, with many of the ideas are coming from the growing user community. We've got pilots using it flying LSA's, GA, through to IFR charter operators operating business jets.

Some new things which will arrive shortly: METAR and SIGMETS overlaid on maps.

http://www.avsoft.com.au/ext/Screenshot_03.jpg

Give it a go !

Thanks,

Bevan..

The Love Doctor
19th Nov 2011, 09:08
Cheers for the replies!

I will give avplan a go.

JR - thanks for the advice re partition etc, but I don't want any windows software on my iMac. The only time my iMac has ever had any problem/crashed was when I installed Microsoft office for Mac . I have completely washed my hands of anything to do with Microsoft/windows after my 4th computer started doing the usual windows going slow/crashing. I've seen that error message "windows has encountered an unexpected error and needs to close. Any unsaved data will be lost" one too many times lol. I've been using windows since windows 95 and have given Microsoft more than a fair chance to sort it out, but it hasn't happened :(

Avgas172
19th Nov 2011, 09:30
What's the price on the avplan app?
cheers
A172

Bevan666
19th Nov 2011, 09:34
If you subscribe via the website, it's $35 per year for planning, $75 for planning plus ERSA and VFR maps, and $130 for ERSA, DAP and all maps.

Jack Ranga
19th Nov 2011, 21:14
Fair enough Luuurve.

havick
20th Nov 2011, 01:38
bevan. does it come with aip and cao?

Bevan666
20th Nov 2011, 02:19
Hi

Yes, it has the AIP, but no CAO's or CAR's
AIP comes with the base subscription.

Bevan..

Bevan666
4th Dec 2011, 02:22
AvPlan 1.5.3 is now available. This release includes a bunch of new features;

Added Sunrise/Sunset calculations, communications details and winds aloft on the Terminal tab
Added top of climb, top of descent and PNR annotations on route. PNR is calculated on the return to origin.
User fixes can be deleted by tapping on the fix and selecting 'Delete' on the menu which appears.
New printing capability, located under 'Flight Planning'. Select plan, weather and charts to be printed/emailed/sent to another app. Forecasts can now be printed.
Bulk import user waypoints from a CSV file. See our blog for details.
Share and download aircraft type models via www.avsoft.com.au/avplan/aircraft-model-database (http://www.avsoft.com.au/avplan/aircraft-model-database) . Aircraft models can now be copied.
METAR icons are colour coded for VFR/Low VFR/IFR/Low IFR (blue,green,yellow,red).
IFR routes are added using stored routes where specified via Airservices Australia.
Improvements to the way the 'rubber banding' of routes is handled. Tap and hold anywhere along a route, and when the blue ring appears, drag it to a point to insert a new leg in a route.

During the install the app will update, download and install new databases. This database update sets the app up for some exciting new features which will appear in 2012.

As with all of our releases, if your trial period has expired, a new version will work for a number of days to give you a chance to try out the new features.

AerocatS2A
4th Dec 2011, 21:39
A few questions Bevan. Is there a detailed user manual? I've only found the quick start guide. How do you delete a profile in the detailed performance section of the aircraft models? How do you adjust the burn rate for holding and taxi? (I see there is a holding rate in the basic performance but the fuel calc doesn't seem to use it.)

Bevan666
4th Dec 2011, 23:11
Hi

User manual is at AvSoft | User Manual (http://www.avsoft.com.au/avplan/avplan-user-manual/) 1.5.3 was reviewed so soon that the next manual update will be there in a day or so.

Holding and taxi fuel is based on average fuel burn in the active plan - Taxi fuel will be changed soon to an amount - and it will use the holding fuel burn rate.

To delete a performance profile - in the flight plan, tap on the aircraft symbol, then the aircraft. Now swipe row on the performance profile to delete that profile.

Thanks,

Bevan..

havick
5th Dec 2011, 01:06
Hi Bevan,

You don't seem to have a contact on your website to report bugs in the software.

The flight planning side of things is currently better than Ozrunways (my opinion). However when you setup a new aircraft (Bell 412 in my instance) and enter all the fuel burn rates, when you goto the table that calculates endurance etc the "holding column'' calculates the fuel burn at the cruise fuel and not the holding fuel burn rate as manually entered in the aircraft data?

Contrary to your previous post, it still does use the cruise fuel flow for holding calculations. With helicopter operations the small difference can be a go no-go decision. Then you have to manually calculate it on paper which then defeats the purpose of having planning software.

Any ideas?

** Also is it possible to add a column for approach fuel allowances? ie many ops manuals have a given amount of fuel to be used for each approach (much like a taxi fuel etc).

** With regard to the AIP section, is it possible to have an index with quicklinks to the section rather than having to bookmark pages?

Bevan666
5th Dec 2011, 01:18
Hi havick

[email protected] will reach us

It uses the average fuel burn for that flight (total burn/ete) to calculate the holding and taxi fuel amounts currently. I just committed the fix for holding fuel, so the next release will actually use the holding fuel flow amount in the aircraft model. :O

We can add an approach fuel allowances into the aircraft model - it will be done when we change taxi time into a taxi fuel amount.

The index for the AIP will be coming soon as well.

Thanks,

Bevan..

havick
5th Dec 2011, 04:34
Thanks Bevan.

may I suggest for the approach and taxi fuel, make it possible for the option of having a fixed amount. eg, approach 200lbs, taxi 100lbs

Great app by the way. Like any app it's a work in progress. :ok:

orangeboy
5th Dec 2011, 07:15
Hi Bevan, will you be looking to expand this to other tablet platforms?

Thanks,
Orange

Bevan666
5th Dec 2011, 07:25
Not at this stage - its all pretty apple centric I am afraid.

havick
6th Dec 2011, 00:06
has anyone else been having problems downloading the DAP/ERSA database?

All the maps and charts download fine except the dap/ersa package. It either freezes half way through or comes up with about 50 error boxes the file could not be moved from one place to another.

Any ideaS?

Bevan666
6th Dec 2011, 00:38
Hi

A couple of users had that problem with 1.5.2, but I thought I had resolved that. Can you email me a screen capture of the error message? Contact me at [email protected].

Thanks,

Bevan..

havick
6th Dec 2011, 00:48
Hi Bevan. I deleted the program and started from scratch. Seems to have solved the issue.

MilFlyer
6th Dec 2011, 06:58
Great App Bevan.

Best Australian iPad flying Application hands down. :ok: Can't recommend it enough.

LexAir
7th Dec 2011, 00:38
When I use the WAC chart some of it is blanked out with blue squares. Any ideas anybody?

Bevan666
7th Dec 2011, 01:07
Do they come and go & and are different shades of blue? If so it sounds like you activated the weather radar overlay on the WAC. The blue squares would then be areas of rainfall.

Thanks,

Bevan..

LexAir
7th Dec 2011, 04:20
Thanks. Yes, that was the problem. I am now struggling with storing flight plans and entering my aircraft types. All a bit confusing for an ageing pilot used to wiz wheels! However, I can really see the potential power of the App.

ktrain
28th Oct 2013, 11:35
Is there currently an app for CASA CAR/CASR/CAO? If not an app with these documents would be amazing.

Homesick-Angel
29th Oct 2013, 01:41
I use 'goodreader', and have simply downloaded the PDF's all available for free online

ktrain
29th Oct 2013, 05:51
I have done the same :) however with the upcoming changes and for simplicities sake, having an app to amend/update and give notifications of changes would be great I think. A nice quick/simple/easy way to look up any CAR/CASR/CAO/CAAP/AWD/etc is needed, not to mention to have all this material at the touch of a button instead of many large heavy binders..