PDA

View Full Version : Australia may miss the boat

TBM-Legend
18th Nov 2011, 10:25
Lion Air deal with Boeing...if you don't like working for QF brush up on your Bahasa...
Lion who? What record Boeing-Indonesia deal means - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/18/business/boeing-lion-air-indonesia-analysis/index.html?hpt=hp_c2)

Capt_SNAFU
18th Nov 2011, 20:00
On 14 January 2002, Lion Air Flight 386, a Boeing 737-200 crashed on take-off and was written off; however, no one was killed.
On 30 November 2004, Lion Air Flight 538, a McDonnell Douglas MD-82, crashed in Surakarta, killing 25 people. This is the airline's first and only fatal accident as of May 2011.[citation needed]
On 4 March 2006, Lion Air Flight 8987, a McDonnell Douglas MD-82, crashed after landing at Juanda International Airport. Reverse thrust was used although it was stated to be out of order. This caused the aircraft to veer to the right and skid off the runway coming to rest 7,000 ft from the approach end of RWY10. No-one was killed but the aircraft was badly damaged.[citation needed]
On 24 December 2006, Lion Air Flight 792, a Boeing 737-400, landed with incorrect flap configuration and was not aligned with the runway. The plane landed hard and skidded along the runway causing the right main landing gear to detach, the left gear to protrude through the wing and some of the aircraft fuselage to be wrinkled. No one was killed.[citation needed]
On 2 November 2010, Lion Air Flight 712, a Boeing 737-400 (registration PK-LIQ) overran the runway on landing at Supadio Airport, Pontianak, coming to rest on its belly. All 174 passengers and crew evacuated by the emergency chutes, with few injuries reported.[16]

Sound like a great mob.

DutchRoll
18th Nov 2011, 23:04
Like some other low-cost Asian carriers, they've been working very hard and diligently on trying to kill passengers but have had a few unlucky breaks which have resulted in pax survival. :rolleyes:

Alan Joyce of course is keen to expand into this club. :ok:

neville_nobody
18th Nov 2011, 23:29
Additional to the 250 they have 150 737 options!:eek:

That's going to be a massive airline. Not sure how they think they are going to crew that to an acceptable standard given they are already averaging an accident every couple of years.

peuce
19th Nov 2011, 00:45
Although the incident/accident record is ugly, I would tend to put it into a bit of perspective ....

They have over 70 jet aircraft and they fly in some of the world's most unfriendliest weather, using some of the world's most unfriendly infrastructure.

I ask myself ... how would big red go in this scenario?

TBM-Legend
19th Nov 2011, 01:27
The other point is that Asia will boom in aviation in the decades to come as the folks there who need and can afford air travel will grow exponentially...hence QF push now into the area..

gobbledock
19th Nov 2011, 01:41
Problem is more along the lines of the latest western technology is used by airlines whose safety systems and culture are still back in the 1970's.
Throw in a mix of 'the Asian way of conducting business' and you have the end result of repetitive bent tin.

BP2197
19th Nov 2011, 01:49
If there is that much growth in Asia Qantas should start up a premium airline up there - you would be crazy not to, particularly if you can get the first mover advantage into a new market segment!

ROFL

teresa green
19th Nov 2011, 02:07
Growth in Asia? Might not be, China's economy is overheated, and Japan is in a perpetual downturn, Malaysia is not exactly going gangbusters, and the Philippines is always broke, Indonesia has a two tiered society, and still not a big middle class, China is the only country you can count on to grow a big middle class, but that is also slowing, and Europe continues to threaten to go belly up. If I was Mr. Joyce I would be sitting on my hands right now, and wait and see, before dragging Far Q up there, and perhaps concentrate on routes that DO work, update the 747/400's, be nice to the staff and wait it out, but then again I am only a lowly driver and a retired one at that, and there is no room for common sense here.

FGD135
19th Nov 2011, 02:15
For Australia, and Qantas in particular - given that Lion will most probably fly domestically in Australia, it means:

Goodbye Qantas

Unless Qantas can dramatically restructure, of course!

They have over 70 jet aircraft and they fly in some of the world's most unfriendliest weather, using some of the world's most unfriendly infrastructure.

I ask myself ... how would big red go in this scenario?

The Qantas accident/incident rate would be slightly elevated, but still nowhere near the rate of the Indonesian airlines.

ernestkgann
19th Nov 2011, 02:46
Under what circumstances and why do you believe Lion could fly domestically in Australia? As an aside TBM, do you consider yourself an expert in airline management in Australia and Asia?

another superlame
19th Nov 2011, 03:35
Lionair announced a few years ago that they were setting up ti fly in Australia, but here we are years later and they still don't exist here. If Tiger can't turn a profit on charging extra for all the extra services I doubt Lion would either.

Tidbinbilla
19th Nov 2011, 03:49
This thread might be more useful in the Asian forum.