PDA

View Full Version : Two in a Hurricane

Giglamps
17th Nov 2011, 22:24
Tangmere 19 June 1940. 17 Sqdn's B Flight lands in from Guernsey with at least one female passenger, a dark-haired girl who is spirited away in the dispersal van. Anyone know if the girl was ever identified?

Will Hung
18th Nov 2011, 07:17
Might have been the legendary Roly Beamont. He had a bit of form for this kind of thing !

chevvron
18th Nov 2011, 11:22
Only Roly Beamont I ever met was definitely a fella, so who was the girl?

ZeBedie
18th Nov 2011, 15:29
Did the pilot wear his parachute? Did she have a parachute? Imaginge trying to explain away a crashed Hurricane with a civy female at the controls.

Giglamps
18th Nov 2011, 17:28
A) Not Beamont. Wrong squadron. But I do seem to remember reading somewhere that he'd flown a Hurricane with a passenger.
B) No parachutes. As I understand it, you had to sit in your passenger's lap in order to fly the aircraft.
C) The girl turned up at an RAF cocktail party a year or so later. She may have been Kathleen Webster, later a WAAF at, perhaps, RAF Jurby..

Will Hung
18th Nov 2011, 21:56
I was being a bit 'tongue-in-cheek' ! Should have said the PIC might have been Roly Beamont. The incident for which he was CM'd was well after the above date.

treadigraph
18th Nov 2011, 22:16
Tony Bartley gave a fellow orficer (Humphrey Somebody?) a lift to a party in his lap in a Spitfire. The other orficer later did the same for somebody else and killed them both...

Haraka
19th Nov 2011, 02:37
I don't think that it was that uncommon a practice, at least with Hurricanes. Haraka senior got ferried like that on at least a couple of occasions, only noting that it was a bit draughty as the hood had to be left back.