PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Jetstar issue asap

CrapStar1
17th Nov 2011, 10:16
Hi, before I begin I would quickly like to explain that I am not a pilot, but have a few mates who fly for various airlines, and they recommended I post my gripe on here.
here we go:

So I was supposed to leave on a 11am flight from Melbourne to Singapore today (and then on to Phuket) on Jetstar. Arrived 2 hours before flight and checked in. Went through customs, all good.

JUST before we were supposed to board, a message saying a 2 hour delay. No biggie.

1 hour, 55 minutes later, ANOTHER 2 hour delay. So I went looking for a Jetstar person. But as I was already in International terminal, there wasn't yet a single Jetstar representitive in there!

And then half way through this delay, they announce it will be another 5 hours!

Now I'm not the most impatient bloke, but 5 hours stuck in International lounge is too much. So I tried to exit, but Customs told me "you leave, you forfeit your ticket"..!

So I tried another guy and same answer. Unhappy, I called Jetstar from their own boarding gate, and was told that I couldn't leave the International terminal! I was a prisoner!

So waited my 5 hours, and with 10mins to go, another announcement, and I type it word for word:

"Dear Jetstar customers, we had an initial technical problem and attempted to replace the part. Unfortunately this part wasnt satisfactory, so we tried a second part, which we were also unhappy with. So we regret to announce the flight has been cancelled. You will be provided more information when you exit customs".

Damn it.

So jump in elevator down to "arrivals" and walk through to customs. Well at 8pm, customs is in meltdown - and we have to line up!
By the time the guy asked me if I had anything to declare, I could have nearly punched him..

So we exit customs, collect our bags, and the Jetstar lady (one lady for 200 odd passengers) tells us that they will take us to a hotel for the night. So we get on this bus (I am now on) and THEN they inform us that they are putting us in the Novotel in CRESWICK - BALLARAT!

What. The. Hell.

How is this legal? I came here because I don't know where else to go at this point in time. We are being repeatedly left in the dark, and then forced to do what they want once trapped!

So this bus is due to arrive at 11:30pm tonight, and they said we MUST be on the bus at 4:30am, or we miss the flight. No food allowance, since we aren't there for either meal time.

Again, how is this legal. Why am I on a bus to Ballarat when my ticket says "Phuket"..

I am shattered.

Please, anyone who knows what is going on, let me know what I should do.

mikk_13
17th Nov 2011, 10:49
fly thai.........

Sorry, i can understand you must be pissed. Same thing happened to me when i flew with Qantas. Find an airline that doesn't despise their customers.

ampclamp
17th Nov 2011, 10:52
This should be an interesting and short thread.Jetstar have upped their customer service. You now get a hotel. It is awful but that is where aviation is headed. :sad:

Someperson
17th Nov 2011, 10:53
From the letter i see:

Please see local Jetstar staff for your new flight details.

If you have an onward connection with Qantas or Jetstar, you’ll be re-seated onto the next available connection. Please see Jetstar staff for more details for more information.

If Melbourne is not your home location Jetstar will endeavour to provide you overnight accommodation. Alternatively if you organise your own accommodation, Jetstar will reimburse you up to the value of AUD$150 per room. We’ll also provide phone credit up to the value of AUD$5.00, dinner up to the value of AUD$35.00 and breakfast up to the value of AUD$15.00 per person upon the provision of receipts.

Please forward these receipts, the completed payment authority form, and a copy of this letter to Jetstar Customer Care:
By Fax: +61 3 9277 7905 or Post: Po Box 635, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia 3020.

We will provide you a Jetstar Travel Voucher to the value of AUD100 for you to redeem on future Jetstar services. Please follow the steps below to collect your travel voucher.

Someperson
17th Nov 2011, 10:56
What do you expect them to do? Cancellations happen in the airline industry.

Also CZ had a flight cancelled into Melbourne today, so not just JQ it seems.

CrapStar1
17th Nov 2011, 11:06
What do I expect? When my ticket says "Phuket", I don't expect to be in Ballarat for the night. That is flat out ridiculous. And not one of those other options were offered to any of us on this bus.
Don't get me wrong, I've flown for some time now, and can handle delays, and even cancellations. But busing us off to Ballarat with no food allowance is what I believe, completely disgusting.

How can any sane person, knowing that we wouldn't get there till 11:30pm and are required to leave at 4:30am, book a hotel at Ballarat? Is the olympics or something on in Melbourne this Thursday night?

Someperson
17th Nov 2011, 11:10
Something is going on in Melbourne as there is no accomm anywhere..

Cactusjack
17th Nov 2011, 11:13
Boston Bruce is on to it!
Some consultants have been called in to audit the cancellation procedures, evaluate the impact the delay had on OTP, audit the accommodation for compliance and generally make a small additional fortune.....

Oh yeah I almost forgot, the passengers, what passengers?????

wheels_down
17th Nov 2011, 11:46
Meanwhile VH-EBS is just sitting idle down at John Holland.....

troppo
17th Nov 2011, 11:51
Relive the experience! Now it's yours to take home on dvd.

http://ultra-vid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/lowcost2011.jpg

Mr Leslie Chow
17th Nov 2011, 12:05
Sorry mate but you get what you pay for.

They are crap and you get crap, what do you expect. Sorry to say.

It is not a full service mob and their cancel rate is very high, especially for the later flights of the day.

Have a whinge to customer service but the place is 'run' by gen y's who don't give a rat's jetstar

ChocksOn
17th Nov 2011, 12:11
You get what you paid for....next time read the fine print...and there is a lot of it :yuk:

ChocksOn
17th Nov 2011, 12:23
DontFlyJetstar - A place to share your Jetstar complaints (http://www.dontflyjetstar.com/)

QF94
17th Nov 2011, 12:47
What do I expect? When my ticket says "Phuket", I don't expect to be in Ballarat for the night. That is flat out ridiculous. And not one of those other options were offered to any of us on this bus.
Don't get me wrong, I've flown for some time now, and can handle delays, and even cancellations. But busing us off to Ballarat with no food allowance is what I believe, completely disgusting.

How can any sane person, knowing that we wouldn't get there till 11:30pm and are required to leave at 4:30am, book a hotel at Ballarat? Is the olympics or something on in Melbourne this Thursday night?

I know this will be of no comfort for you, but you expect to get to your destination. If not with JQ, maybe put on another flight with another carrier to get you there, albeit a few hours later. This is the unfortunate status of low-cost carriers. No spare planes, staff who are too young to care for your woes and a cue card to read off when something goes wrong. The staff think this is OK, as this is how they are treated.

Not a good start to your trip, but chalk it up to experience. Low cost is not always the best, and can end up costing more than a premium ticket with a few more "get out" clauses in them.

Hope it all works out for you in one way or another.

boocs
17th Nov 2011, 13:11
Suddenly Tiger's looking a lot better....

b.

boocs
17th Nov 2011, 13:13
that website is hilarious....

b.

Baileys
17th Nov 2011, 14:19
Fly with a proper airline

V-Jet
17th Nov 2011, 14:49
Fly with a proper airline

And who exactly might that be in the near future?

The problem is, there are no real airline people (except Borghetti taking real Qantas Staff to VJ) running airlines in Australia.

My suggestion (may not help your deplorable situation immediately, but might help longer term) is to send the email above to Senator Xenophon. I think it might help add to the appalling body of evidence regarding Jetstar and Qantas at the recent parliamentary enquiry. They heard from management and staff, but not from passengers. I'd give it a go. It certainly won't hurt and people should know about what has happened to you. Its all too common and believe me, you have the sympathy of the 'old guard' at places like Qantas - where this sort of thing never used to happen.

FYI your experience is exactly the sort of rubbish behaviour Qf unions are riled about. The lack of concern shown in this thread is nothing against you, but a symptom of how 'we' get treated at work by the same despicable characters who see airlines as a way to earn themselves tens of millions through clever use of 'get out' clauses and financial engineering.

mohikan
17th Nov 2011, 14:56
The great lie of Australian aviation at the moment is the pup sold to consumers in relation to low cost carrier service.

In Europe an LCC is just that. If the aircraft breaks then you lose.

Passengers there understand its not a full service carrier, so if it doesnt fly due mechanical they won't go at all and they have to purchase again.

In Australia, passengers expect to pay nearly nothing, but get full service and then when it doesnt work out they bleat like stuck pigs.

Suck it up mate, you got what you paid for.

If you wanted to 'insure' yourself against delay, cancellation, death and disease you would have paid full price on Thai or QF.

I feel for you, but you have to understand that your predicament is do to your risk taking and is not Jetstars fault.

Good luck

V-Jet
17th Nov 2011, 15:17
Mohikan,
I agree with you but AJ would have you believe that LCC's are the only way you can run an airline.

People should be very aware of three things:
1) He will turn Qantas into a LCC unless he is stopped.
2) LCC's only make money by charging a lot for a little, and
3) The goal of any LCC is to work out how to become a full service carrier so they can charge a reasonable price before they go broke or kill people.

The only airline exec in the world intent on turning a rolled gold brand into a trashy LCC is our very own AJ. He has the keys to something every LCC CEO wants, but he simply lacks the competence to know how to use them..

psycho joe
17th Nov 2011, 15:35
The real culprits here are your friends who willfully led you to believe that anyone here could either give a sh!t, or change anything even if they did. :D

teiemka
17th Nov 2011, 16:17
In Europe an LCC is just that. If the aircraft breaks then you lose.

Passengers there understand its not a full service carrier, so if it doesnt fly due mechanical they won't go at all and they have to purchase again.

Mohican this is not true, though they do try their utmost to get out of their responsibilties

EU - Air passengers' rights - Your Europe (http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm)

...and that's why QF was obliged to pay more for travellers stranded in Europe than they offered elsewhere,

In Australia, passengers expect to pay nearly nothing, but get full service and then when it doesnt work out they bleat like stuck pigs.

Yes, that is true unfortunately many are not aware of the pitfalls, however I do feel for the OP as he said he is trapped. That he was told no meals would be covered is probably wrong information going on the extract provided by someperson. My advise keep your receipts, but it's not going to get that lost day back, hopefully your off in the morning.

Sunfish
17th Nov 2011, 18:11
In Australia, passengers expect to pay nearly nothing, but get full service and then when it doesn't work out they bleat like stuck pigs.

It is quotes like this that give aviation a bad name.

Airlines are given an AOC that specifies that they are to provide regular public transport.

Absent force majeure, or unavoidable delay, the aircraft is supposed to leave roughly on time. CASA has overlooked this requirement for a considerable time.

LCC passengers may expect a lower level of cabin service and less comfortable seats, they are not required to expect a lower level of dispatch reliability or safety.

Qantas treats its employees and passengers like shyte - witness the grounding of the airline for purely commercial reasons. Why would you ever trust Qantas ever again after that?

What to do? Do what I do; tell as many friends as possible about your experience and tell them never to fly with any Qantas Group airline ever again.

CrapStar1
17th Nov 2011, 19:14
Well still no access/ability tp purchase or eat food, last chance was at 8pm last night (obviously no one in their right mind would expect this to happen).
Got on the bus at 4:30, at 5am we all instantaneously got a text message saying the aircraft had been delayed 3hours. We are now waiting for more details.

When will this end? To those who quote "you get what you pay for", I hardly think that's a fair argument. Yes they were slightly cheaper tickets (not that cheap), but you still expect some decent level of service. Instead of smugly sitting there and saying "get what you pay for" or "serves you right" please imagine being in my/our position, and decide whether, even with cheaper tickets than other airlines, does this seem fair and legal to you.

V-Jet
17th Nov 2011, 19:40
[email protected]

He is not a fool, and has a great interest and understanding of aviation issues.

You will lose nothing by contacting him (and will probably get a nice letter from his secretary).

teresa green
17th Nov 2011, 20:09
And yet I had a different experience with JQ. Stranded at NTL for seven hours last monday week as a PAX, whilst JQ searched for a part for a A320, the staff could not have done better. They kept us up to date at all times, helped and assisted those that required it (the elderly and young parents) gave out food vouchers, and tried to get PAX onto other aircraft to get them on their way. There were the whingers of course, but most agreed better to be down here then up there with a problem, as the A/C was going to OOL most were holiday makers, so they put it down to just a hitch, and had a few ales to help them sit out the seven hours. It was all quiet genial. Top marks JQ NTL to both ground staff and crew.

QF94
17th Nov 2011, 20:17
Sunfish,

I normally have a great deal of respect for your opinions and views, but to tell people not to fly a QANTAS group airline is a bit extreme.

As a QANTAS employee, like many others, we are treated like shyte, particularly in engineering, but we never stop doing what we're paid to do. That is to do the job to the best of our ability. Unfortunately when resources, both personnel and equipment are in short supply, you can't make strawberry jam from sh!t.

Maybe letters of complaint sent to AJ himself, CASA anf Fair Trading may have more of an impact.

RENURPP
17th Nov 2011, 22:45
Crapstar1,
I suspect you are looking for a magical answer you can take to the "Bogan air" staff that will hopefully resolve your problem. It isn't going to happen. Unfortunately you made a poor choice and if your smart, you won't do that again.

Most people on tihis site are simply aviation employees, such as pilots, engineers etc. our legal expertise is pretty much zero, so even if advice is offered take is as a nice thought rather than gospel.

Contact the office or fair trading and seek advice on your return. Apart from that be aware "Bogan Air" are well known for not running on time they do not care about their passengers and are as you indicate generally are Crap. Don't fly with them is the real answer.

VH-FTS
17th Nov 2011, 23:50
Maybe it's just my internet connection, but the anti-jetstar website is no longer working.

Didn't realise we lived in a communist state...

You don't. The web site link quoted in a previous post was incorrect.

Correct link: DontFlyJetstar - A place to share your Jetstar complaints (http://www.dontflyjetstar.com/)

Tail Wheel

adsyj
18th Nov 2011, 00:02
Crapstar

I'm not trying to be a smartarse but what exactly do you want.

The aircraft has gone tech, they are having trouble getting it back in the air, they sent you to a hotel, I assume you got a bed and it was clean etc.

Aircraft still bust they send you a text. What do you mean no ability to buy or eat food.

I am no Jetstar apologist but as others have said there is not a lot anybody can do on this board to help. Sorry your holiday is mucked up.

When you get back go to Fair Trading, try and keep your cool and remember whatever the issues are don't take it out on Cabin Crew or groundstaff.

Sorry it has happened to you. Keep your cool.

Errajane
18th Nov 2011, 00:59
This website is probably better suited for such rather than pprune.
Airline Reviews | Airport Reviews | Seat Reviews | Airline Ranking (http://www.airlinequality.com/)

I believe this is where the Skytrax awards originate from.

grrowler
18th Nov 2011, 01:49
Fts, the website does work, just the link is wrong - should be DontFlyJetstar - A place to share your Jetstar complaints (http://dontflyjetstar.com)

lk978
18th Nov 2011, 03:08
Could be worse, as Tom Hanks found out....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/Movie_poster_the_terminal.jpg

Ken Borough
18th Nov 2011, 03:23
Ben Sandilands' Angry Flyers Lounge' has form on matters such as this:

To enter the Angry Flyers Lounge and share your airline or airport experiences and even get action over any grievances, please send them to [email protected]

Yarra
18th Nov 2011, 04:11
"Absent force majeure, or unavoidable delay, the aircraft is supposed to leave roughly on time. CASA has overlooked this requirement for a considerable time."

Sunfish, equally CASA would expect that the aircraft depart in an airworthy condition...

For CS1...What were you expecting, the Hyatt Hotel? JQ have given you accomodation, they have given you information and as disappointing as it is for you, it is not the end of the world..If the expressway was blocked through an accident and you were delayed...same thing..you get delayed on your journey.
:hmm:

gobbledock
18th Nov 2011, 04:44
Ben Sandilands' Angry Flyers Lounge' has form on matters such as this:
To enter the Angry Flyers Lounge and share your airline or airport experiences and even get action over any grievances, please send them to [email protected] (offtherecord%40crikey.com.au)
Ken, is that where you get all your aviation knowledge from?? Or do you troll through that site and report all the angry pax grievences back to your beloved management team? Obviously the batteries in your scanner are flat or things are quiet down by the plane spotters viewing area?

PPRuNeUser0198
18th Nov 2011, 09:06
The President Cup is on. Hotels are full.

Also remember - the airline does not want to place pax across multiple sites - this becomes a logistical nightmare.

It would appear Ballarat was the closest that could accommodate all of you in a property that is considered acceptable.

Be thankful you're not sleeping on the terminal floor.