PDA

View Full Version : 'A' licence with 'B' licence modules passed?

Foz2
17th Nov 2011, 08:23
Hi

I was wondering whether if you pass all the B licence modules via self study, can you during your 5 years experience building, qualify and gain an A licence? Or do you have to study the A Licence modules to get an A Licence? I understand A licence holders have better pay and opportunities than unlicenced people and if its going to take 5 years of experience to gain a B Licence it would be nice to try and get myself into the best position during that time, financially and opportunities wise.

Just trying to come up with the best route!!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
F

Alber Ratman
17th Nov 2011, 09:28
If you pass all the B1 modules, you can apply for an "A" licence at the 3 year experince point, I believe.. A waste of time though if you are only working in base..

Foz2
17th Nov 2011, 11:20
Thanks Alber

Also, regarding the minimum 5 years experience, does that have to be completed by a certain date after you pass the exams? ie do you have to complete the experience requirements within 5/6/7/8 years of passing the last / first exam otherwiise you have to do the exams again?

I have been looking at ELGD and i can't seem to see any reference to it so i am presuming no??

Thanks
F

Alber Ratman
17th Nov 2011, 13:23
All B1/B2 modules must be passed within a 5 year period from passing the first module exam.. They only have a shelf life indivually of that period at the mo (although things are in the EASA pipeline to extend that to 7). Pass them all and they are effectively locked out for application. If you are self studying and working in a PART M or 145 maintenance organisation, MAKE SURE YOU LOG ALL THE RELEVENT TASKS FOR THE BASIC LICENCE AND TYPES IF APPLICABLE in the format of the CAP 741 logbook preferably. The modules mean nothing without the practical experience recorded for any licence/type rating application. CAP 741 samples can be downloaded from the CAA website, brought from the TSO and you can even copy them into a format suitable for your own use such as a word processer document and they will be acceptable to the CAA. My licence application logbook was maded up of sheets produced on my computer. My quality department loved them as they were easy to read.. So did the CAA.

Log sheets should be made up of tasks relevent to an ATA chapter, Aircraft/engine combination and employer. Don't forget the CAA approval number of the company. Date, Aircraft registration, tech Log serial number or jobcard number of task, Description of task with AMM/SRM/FIM/TSM/whatever referances and stamper name/licence number/signature and approval stamp are universally required on the sheets as well until the CAA new format.

Foz2
17th Nov 2011, 13:46
Alber

Thanks again! Really helpful.

One final question if i may - how difficult is it to find a job at the moment? Would i stand a chance of getting some kind of entry level job whilst i study the modules? I have a PPL and passed my ATPLs about 5 years ago, but had to stop flight training due to the cost - i won't be going back to it. So, i have a bit knowledge but obviously no engineering knowledge of any worth....

What are your thoughts....

Thanks
F

Alber Ratman
17th Nov 2011, 17:17
With no maintenance training, for example college course, apprenticeship, military training??? Not a chance. Nobody will employ you.

cessna24
17th Nov 2011, 19:01
On the job front I can only advise that you send a email or letter to every company that is within your distance limit and see if they need a trainee etc. a company I used to work for had semi-skilled guys who were straight out of college but had some technical background. Keep trying..... Time and effort will hopefully pay off. Otherwise, get back to your flying!

c24

Alber Ratman
17th Nov 2011, 21:32
The problem is mate, you have no training in hand skills of tools, repairs, maintenance practices, use of chemicals and other facets that others have recieved in formal training. Yes, I do believe your knowledge gained by flying training does raise you up from the absolute bottom of the pile, but not enough to complete with others. 24 is correct mind, if you don't ask, you won't know..

BTW, to work in a 145 MRO as a Connie, it is mandatory to have a valid Human Factors & Fuel Tank Safety level 2 certificate. And your own hand tools of a large range of AF spanners, sockets + associated equipment. Carrier bag carrying of tools isn't acceptable.

lovegroove
20th Nov 2011, 19:03
Have I missed something? I've done all the B2 modules, but have struggled to get civvie experience since and have just been plodding along working military contracting as the money has been OK.

I'm now seeing jobs advertised asking for A licenced avionics, but when I last looked, it was only really the B1 guys that did the A licence. If I did a 6 month winter program (been offered a few contracts) working civvie stuff would I be able to get an 'Avionics' A licence or do I have to do some modules at a different level?

To be honest, I'd just about given up trying to get my licence as I've managed to get work without it, but if I can get an A licence which will let me work on IFE, then I will definitely have to take a closer look again.

airlineguy1980
21st Nov 2011, 05:52
Just I have another question.if you have non easa b1 license with 320 type rating.you passed all the b1 easa exams and have a license with no type rating.but have only A license.can this person certify the 320 A license task under easa system?

TURIN
21st Nov 2011, 11:36
What's an 'Avionic A License'?

I thought the 'A' License was cross trade?

Am I out of touch again?:\

Foz2
23rd Nov 2011, 17:02
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Given my situation, it seems almost impossible to get into the industry. There seems to be a common theme throughout these threads that the apprentice route is by far the best way to get the proper training required to become a competent licenced engineer. I agree with that but being 29 this is not an option open to me.

So other options include a 2 year HND at Kingston or similar but the problem here is that the course is eye wateringly expensive and the feeling again amongst these forums and Airmech seems to be that employers prefer people who have worked there way up through an apprentiship rather than having done one of these courses (correct me if i'm wrong). I wouldn't want to do a course such as this, break the bank and then find that an employer doesn't value it as a starting block.

Realistically it seems the only way into the industry is through apprentiships or through HM Forces but those are only open to younger people.....would others agree? Are there any apprentiships open to older people?

I fully appreciate that experience is the first thing companies look for when recruiting, but unless you have done an apprentiship, or come out of the forces, where are you going to get that experience from?

Catch 22!!