PDA

View Full Version : Spouse's Employment

av8tordude
17th Nov 2011, 00:23
Those of you who are married, living in Doha or Dubai....

1. Do you live in Doha or Dubai?
2. Is your spouse employed?
3. What kind of employment does your spouse do?
4. Is finding employment for your spouse difficult?
5. Did you use an employment agency to find employment for your spouse? If so which agency would you recommend?
6. How much compensation is your spouse paid?
7. I've tried google to see what compensation we can expect for my spouse's professional field, but got little results. Where could I find compensation information for my spouse's prof. field?

Dune
17th Nov 2011, 01:49
Maybe if you told us what she did that would help???

av8tordude
17th Nov 2011, 01:55
Wife's a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)

av8tordude
17th Nov 2011, 12:12
Since I received very few responses, is this an indication that Qatar pilot's spouses are stay at home parents not working? Am I to assume, finding employment for my spouse is difficult at best?:confused:

BigGeordie
17th Nov 2011, 12:55
You can assume that nobody knows what a Speech Language Pathologist is or does.

av8tordude
17th Nov 2011, 13:26
Guys...Please don't get do hung up on what a SLP (Speech Therapist) does . I'm just looking for information on employment for my wife when we move there. I know there are English schools there...just trying to find information. My wife is a Speech Therapist assisting individuals (School age children to Adults) with speech impediments.

av8tordude
17th Nov 2011, 13:33
@ Mullah Kintyre,

While it may be humorous to you to respond to someone post looking for answers, it would be more appreciated if you could contribute to this thread with something more of substance instead of your dry comic satire.

av8tordude
17th Nov 2011, 14:09
My wife and I agree that if we moved there, it would only make financial sense that she continues to work. Most importantly in her professinoal field.

SassyPilotsWife
17th Nov 2011, 19:03
Av8tordude,

Life here is what you make of it. She is a professional so obviously she has enough initiative and drive to network and find her way. I can tell you that there aren't that many Speech Pathologist here as one of my clients ( yep, I work here) who just happens to be a pilot, could not find one for his child. Sadly, his family is residing in the US because of it. But, there is a huge need here. If you're looking at moving to DXB, I can take her CV and pass it on to a couple of network contacts that are with the Ministry of Education. If she wants to work outside of education and work in the medical/health sector ( CVA patients) I can put her in touch with some " higher ups" with HAAD. Better than Pprune, would be to Gewgle " Speech Pathologist + jobs + dubai etc.. and that can lead into all sorts of avenues. Depending on which way she goes, will depend on salary. Have her check with ADEC ( Abu Dhabi Education Council), get on the British Expat Forum and post a thread to enquire about jobs there. There is a job thread. Get on Dubizzle as well. Then there is always the private sector. By networking thru local expat forums, she will find that she can probably find more than enough work with private tutoring at home. As I don't live in Doha, I can't advise you specifically for that location, but I'm certain it is same same as it is here. Best of luck !

av8tordude
19th Nov 2011, 02:43
Thank you SassyPilotsWife. Very informative post.:ok::)

flighttimer
19th Nov 2011, 11:32
av8tordude.
Check PM

Plazbot
19th Nov 2011, 12:30
I can second that there is a shortage of SLPs here as we looked ourselves. Stick the phrase 'kids first medical centre' into google and contact them for accurate info. There are many others. While i cant be certain, i would think she will have no issues finding work.