PDA

View Full Version : Jock Bryce

PFR
16th Nov 2011, 19:10
Anyone know whether the Logbooks of Jock Bryce survive - Brooklands maybe?....and whether his flying experiences were ever recorded in an autobiography or a biography.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this historical aviation figure.
Cheers, PFR.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Nov 2011, 20:04
I met him at a 'do' at our Concorde (G-BOAC) a couple of years ago. Great bloke! If I meet him again at the next one, I'll ask him.

Jhieminga
17th Nov 2011, 08:56
Did you ask this same question here (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113045) a while ago? I would suggest contacting Brooklands Museum about this, if they don't have his logbook they may have some other material that could be of interest, John Pulford or Julian Temple will probably know the answer: Contact Us - Brooklands Museum (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/contact-us/)

PFR
18th Nov 2011, 18:53
Yep that was me Jhieminga - thanks - over on another forum a week or so ago. Thought I'd try here as well, and thanks I'll follow-up directly with the museum - in the absence of any revelations here:ok:

eMACaRe
22nd Nov 2011, 18:32
Hi, Forumites
Sadly, his logbooks no longer exist. Apparently, his wife had a clear- out one day, when Jock was out of the house, and "binned them"... Aaargh
MACR

PFR
23rd Nov 2011, 09:20
:eek:YikesPFR

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Nov 2011, 17:50
<<Apparently, his wife had a clear- out one day, when Jock was out of the house, and "binned them">>

Dear God, whatever possessed her to do such a terrible thing?

PFR
23rd Nov 2011, 18:31
Grounds for divorce I'd say:uhoh:
Has he ever written a book about his flying experiences? Just reading John Farley's "A View from the Hover"... and it strikes what an exellent read that'd be also:ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Nov 2011, 19:05
Sadly, his logbooks no longer exist. Apparently, his wife had a clear- out one day, when Jock was out of the house, and "binned them".

Any evidence for this? Sounds unlikely unless it was by accident.

eMACaRe
23rd Nov 2011, 19:46
Yes: a fellow researcher at the Museum spoke to him not longer after the event - to put it briefly, he was somewhat miffed/annoyed... There is a book on George Edwards, and much of what was written about him was provided by Jock Bryce.

Jhieminga
23rd Nov 2011, 23:01
That'll be this one then: From Bouncing Bombs to Concorde

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Nov 2011, 12:14
Thanks. That's awful. But I've ordered the 'Edwards' book from Amazon so thanks for the heads up on that!

Jhieminga
9th May 2014, 14:24
Worth mentioning perhaps that Gabe Robb 'Jock' Bryce passed away recently. If my facts are correct he reached 93 years of age. No more details available I'm afraid.