PDA

View Full Version : BA ( again) Customer services

GROUNDHOG
16th Nov 2011, 14:27
So how do you get past BA customer services?

Went to make a booking and agreed the fee to pre book seats, in the process of booking looked at the seat map and there were no seats available to sit with the Wife ( (long haul). Rang BA res who completed the booking for me and in doing so suggested I changed to the next day as there were seats available. They would though have to charge £65 for change of day but suggested I rang CR and request a refund.

E mailed requesting refund and got a reply totally irrelevant to my request saying no way. Rang and was told they were quite within their rights as I had changed days and there was a fee for that and it was in the terms and conditions. We will pass it on to management but they are not going to change their minds.

Asked to speak to someone higher ( politely) and told it wouldn't matter who I spoke to that was it and I would get the same reply it was BA policy and that was the end of the matter.

Who do I tell the policy is wrong then I asked and politely told there was no point as they were not going to change it anyway so stop wasting my time.

OK so the amount is not great but why do BA have to be so arrogant, now I am really p*ssed and will do all I can to help them change their attitude. Suggestions where to start on the back of an envelope.....

Rant over

PS: I don't have it in for BA by the way, I just want the BA of old back please.

PAXboy
16th Nov 2011, 15:13
When this msg gets melded in with all the other BA customer services threads, you'll see the address of the new boss (Walsh now in Madrid with IAG). They won't change but you might get some airmiles to help you shut up!

strake
16th Nov 2011, 17:06
I just want the BA of old back please.

A broad brush I'll admit, but my ten penn'orth is that with the advent of cheaper fares, the airlines, including BA, had to ramp-up with more staff. The new (cheap) people had neither the service background, understanding or interest of the previous generation - just a job to them. BA (in the air and on the ground) were swamped with this influx of lower standards and gradually, to get the "old" BA", you had to fly "Club" and eventually "First" where some sort of service just about hangs on, albeit at eye-watering cost. Eventually, the crews/staff of the '80's and '90's just gave up the battle and we end up with the BA we see today.

That "old BA" style is still around however, - you can find it in some Indian and Asian airlines..

easyflyer83
16th Nov 2011, 17:30
If the booking was a non refundable ticket, why would you think you was going to get a refund? I ask that in the nicest possible way.

I'm not sticking up for BA but Strake, that's a bit harsh on the crew of today, of which there are just as many with the same passion as there were years ago. In fact there are many willing to do the job for a lower salary, so much they want to be crew.

It is ironic however that the crew you champion are the crew who, on another thread, are being slated.

strake
16th Nov 2011, 18:29
It is ironic however that the crew you champion are the crew who, on another thread, are being slated.

..but as far as we, long term paying passengers are concerned, provided a service that we enjoyed.

I did say "broad brush" however. I'm sure there are still committed crews and staff but it would appear they are in the minority.

GROUNDHOG
16th Nov 2011, 19:09
easyflyer - Perhaps it was the way I expressed it, I didn't ask for a refund of the ticket, I asked for a refund of the £65 for the change of days as instructed by BA reservations themselves. A change I didn't want in the first place! Anyway attacked again from another angle, not really worried about the money but a simple we see your point or we will mention it to management would be nice instead of s@d off that's what our system says so we are not interested.

farci
17th Nov 2011, 07:47
but a simple we see your point or we will mention it to management would be nice instead of s@d off that's what our system says so we are not interested. I sympathise with your frustration but until I worked in a call centre (for a utility but the same principle applies) I did not understand the ethos of such places. I could wax lyrical about them being the modern day equivalent of 'dark satanic mills' but the agents are under strict instructions to follow the script. If you give in too often and refer callers to a higher level you will be 're-educated' or shown the door.

A call centre is not so much about helping customers but screening management from customers who want something that's not in the manual. Any resemblance to Customer Service is purely coincidental

PAXboy
17th Nov 2011, 11:22
Very well put farci. :ok:

When I was in telecommunications, I often worked on installing call centres for companies and it was clear that they were there to either MAKE money or SAVE money, not to Help.