PDA

View Full Version : How do i validate My SOUTH AFRICAN c.a.a commercial license?

kasulevictor
16th Nov 2011, 11:07
Hi,
I have a south African C.A.A commercial license and i want to get an F.A.A validation online.Am based in Ethiopia at the moment and the company i work for has a U.S registered aircraft.
I have done the F.A.A medicals and downloaded a form from the F.A.A website regarding what i need to feel out.

There is a section talking about FSDO...Do i really need to be there physical or can it be done online without flying to the sates? This is whats confusing me weather i have to meet the flight standards district office(FSDO).
The aircraft operates in Ethiopia permanently.please guys help me

Gomrath
16th Nov 2011, 14:09
Welcome to the forum.
I believe that the form you are referring to is the "Certificate of Authenticity" for the issue of a FAR 61.75 based on certificate.

However, the validation of a foreign CPL only enables you to get a FAA Private certificate issued under 61.75. You cannot get a 61.75 Commercial validation.

If you want a FAA CPL you need to complete the FAA requirements laid down in 61.127 and 129, complete the CPL written and IR etc.

If I have misunderstood your question, I apologize.

cavortingcheetah
16th Nov 2011, 15:10
That's what happened to me many years ago when I had an SA Com/IR.
Went to FAA @ van Nuys in California and was given a commercial licence, endorsed as not valid for hire or reward. Went back a while later with a JAR and a SA ATPL and was told that I still had to write all the exams and take the check rides. If you google up and then telephone any FAA office at a relatively small US airport, such as Northeast Philadelphia,and then if you catch one of their good guys on the other end, you'll get chapter and verse and an invitation to do your check rides with him. Perhaps what this means is that the US doesn't do validations and if that's the case then the requirement for Federal Regulatory compliance can be no bad thing?

Gomrath
16th Nov 2011, 15:13
Went to FAA @ van Nuys in California and was given a commercial licence, endorsed as not valid for hire or reward.
What you are referring to there is the "non Commercial" Commercial !! - basically it is nothing more than a Private Cert and as a result the FAA ceased to issue those some years ago and replaced it with a certificate that is clearly marked as a "Private" under FAR 61.75.

and an invitation to do your check rides with him
Providing that all the requirements of FAR 61.127 and 61.129 are met and the written exam already completed etc.

kasulevictor
17th Nov 2011, 19:29
thank you so much guys.so does that mean i can train on a u.s.a registered aircraft here in africa without first taking a checkride en writing all the knowledge exams? i just need an authorization which i thought would be a certificate verifying that my hours are correct en am good to fly the plane.
I have no planes of flying to the states en i thought it could be done online as
a friend told me.really am confused yet i really want to get some hours on this PC12

Gomrath
17th Nov 2011, 19:41
No it cannot be done online.
If you want a FAA Commercial certificate then you have to complete the FAA CPL Written exam and pass the CPL Checkride.
Your foreign hours will count but you must make sure that you have all the Aeronautical experience documented in the FAR 61.127 and 61.129.
Also - as this would be your first issue of a FAA certificate - you will need to get TSA clearance - regardless whether you come to the US or not.

You cannot get a FAA CPL validation based on the strength of holding a Foreign certificate (FAR 61.75).
You can ONLY get a Private certificate issued under FAR 61.75 based on a foreign certificate and you still have to visit the FSDO or there is a guy in the UK who can do it for you (at a cost).

If you only want to get a FAR 61.75 Private cert - you will have to check if the PC-12 aircraft insurance will permit it to be flown by a PPL.

AvEnthusiast
28th Jan 2012, 06:42
But if you have all those requirements based on foreign training, then can you directly sit for the theoretical exams and checkrides? or no you have to fly for some time with an FAA Certified FI and US Airspace to make you eligible for FAA CPL/IR?

SA Brit
28th Jan 2012, 16:24
All foreign flight hours will count to the experience required. The only requirement is 3 hours in the airplane with an 'authorized instructor' ie an FAA instructor, within the preceding 2 calendar months of the test.

jetsetsimon757
31st Jan 2012, 11:29
What problems I have had with me SA CPL not worth the paper its written on.