PDA

View Full Version : Installation .exe does nothing (W7 64bit)

The late XV105
16th Nov 2011, 10:05
Brand new Lenovo X1 i5 with SSD running Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.
Love it! Beautifully built and so damned faaaaast.

Just one problem.

I take my DSLR on my frequent travels and so appreciate having Canon's excellent Digital Photo Professional (DPP) toolkit with me. The version supplied with my camera would not install though - even in XP compatibility mode - so as a workaround I downloaded and installed Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode; DPP then installed here just fine and works perfectly.

Last night though, I downloaded the W7 64bit compatible version of DPP to install directly in W7 but when I run the installation exe this is what happens

Double-click the .exe file
Pop-up dialogue appears
Select "run" option
Pop-up dialogue disappears..... and then nothing more happens

Repeating this on my XP SP3 PC with the same .exe file results in the installation menu correctly appearing (before I then cancel it as I don't need the software here)

What utility or association is missing on my W7 laptop, please?

The Canon .exe file appears to be "Update Wrapper(Win)" but Google didn't help me find a solution on this occasion.

TVM,
TLXV

Mike-Bracknell
16th Nov 2011, 10:08
Firstly, check in task manager whether the .exe is still running once you execute it and see nothing.

However, by far the greatest reason for this is that they've written a dud.

green granite
16th Nov 2011, 10:14
Also try installing it as 'administrator' (right click on the .exe file and select 'run as administrator')

The late XV105
16th Nov 2011, 10:18
Sorry, M-B; I already knew the answer to that but omitted it from my post; no running process.

I'd be surprised if I have a dud though - I just downloaded the previous version of DPP for W7 64bit and this fails to install too with the same symptoms, yet this is the one that forums indicate is successfully used by a gazillion Canon DSLR Users with W7 64bit computers.

Most odd.

The late XV105
16th Nov 2011, 10:24
Solved. Dud(ish) :)

I created the 64bit .reg file mentioned at the foot of this (http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00NtUC) thread and now the installation has succeeded.

Thanks for the ideas along the way, Both

Mike-Bracknell
16th Nov 2011, 10:46
I was right then, they did create a dud :)

The late XV105
16th Nov 2011, 19:49
Ish :)

Yadda yadda as message otherwise too short.