PDA

View Full Version : QR DXB ORDER

indianace
16th Nov 2011, 04:57
well done mr.aab.its a big order
the speech on airbus is good..its about time for airbus to keep up to its word and time frame.
well done again MR.CEO...congrats.

Non Zero
16th Nov 2011, 05:44
Interesting to read

DUBAI: Qatar threatens to take 767F as A330 conversion stalls (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/dubai-qatar-threatens-to-take-767f-as-a330-conversion-stalls-364886/)

Qatar announces Airbus, Boeing aircraft orders after Dubai drama | ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engines-components/news/qatar-agrees-airbus-boeing-aircraft-orders-after-dubai-drama-1115)

dash8pilotCanada
16th Nov 2011, 05:56
Ok so Qatar is now operating 38 A320 (variants), they ordered 24 more at the 2009 Paris Airshow..

How many of the 50 NEOS will be replacment aircrafts for older 320s?

TROPICAL-DEPRESSION
16th Nov 2011, 06:14
So QR CEO really has to make up his mind. Can Airbus make airplane or can't they make the airplanes QR wants??

One minute he's buying a ton of A320NEOs and A380s, the next he is not buying anything and insults Airbus, as he has done before. An hour later yes he is buying the NEOs and A380s.

Really there has to be someone to put this man in his place, he can't go around the world insulting every major aircraft maker, just to get his way.
When now, talking about delays, he is delaying his own deliveries because of NO CREWs, inefficiencies in his management and the very late completion of the New Doha Intl. Airport.

This is not a proffessional attitude and a disgraceful way of conduct for anyone who can be regarded as an embassador of Qatar or just as well a CEO.

Good luck.

Iver
16th Nov 2011, 14:14
I disagree. Personally, I think the QR CEO is an excellent negotiator. He knows that Boeing can probably provide what he needs in the long-term and he uses that fact to his advantage in his negotiations with Airbus. He probably gets much better pricing or better delivery dates as a result - and that benefits QR stakeholders. There are only 2 major manufacturers (excluding Bombardier, Embraer and other smaller manufacturers) and he does a great job of pitting one against the other.

What's the net result of this negotiating style? Both Boeing and Airbus have to be "on their game" and probably build better aircraft to suit the real needs of QR and EK. He is pushing Boeing and Airbus to build aircraft that fit QR's long term needs. Either Airbus commits to building the A350-1000 that meets the earlier criteria, or QR will order the 777-X with EK. Simple as that.

It's called negotiations - and if Airbus does not want to play they can give up the business to Boeing. Intense competition leads to better products and results in order to win more business. Like it or not, the QR CEO is an effective negotiator who is pushing these manufacturers to provide what the market really wants...

TROPICAL-DEPRESSION
17th Nov 2011, 12:07
Well Iver I recognize you do have a very valid point.

But I do have to point out that this kind of behaviour only makes him look like a childish and unproffesional CEO. This doesn't give any value to the share holders though being a very effective negociator, he is a magnet for bad personal press.

About competitiveness:
QR is a large customer of Airbus and Boeing, by far not the largest but a large customer.
So for him to point out design flaws and performance defficiencies is fine as long as these points brought to light. This should be with fact and constructive criticism, not with a childish comment about how badly run these manufacturers are or by how bad the airplanes he is buying and getting delivered are.

In my opinion, if an airline wants a better result from A & B, they should negociate a way to help the manufacturer acheive a goal, not try to save pennies on an already very good deal. On the 787 project ANA got involved in the end; that's constructive and positive press.

Iver
17th Nov 2011, 13:38
TD,

Good points. From what I have read about negotiating, your position is strongest when you have a "BATNA" which means "best alternative to a negotiated agreement." In this case, QR can cancel its A350 orders and instead order Boeing 777s (including the proposed longer-range 777-X). So, QR's CEO is merely leveraging his BATNA to get what he wants (better performance guarantees on the A350). I agree that he is brash - but evidently that is effective. I am sure that he is intimidating and that again probably works in his favor in negotiating. People don't want to feel uncomfortable and he works that to his advantage.

If you measure someone by their negotiating results, the QR CEO is probably very effective. In business, you can't always measure people by their personalities/styles - you need to look at results. I am sure he does not score well with QR employee relations (from what I have read), but he probably has saved QR a lot of cash through his negotiating style.

Non Zero
17th Nov 2011, 17:19
On the 787 project ANA got involved in the end;
... which end are you referring to ...

Airbus & Boeing are very very good commercial airplanes manufactures, but lately they showed poor capability to deliver on time and matching the initial specs requirements!
Late delivery has a lot of consequences to a full spectrum. For a Major it can probably signify not been able to meet the 3th quarter target (and do you think the share holders are happy?). For a small airline it's probably bankruptcy.
On a micro management level, whoever is waiting the arrival of the new toy for a possible fleet transfer or a potential up-grade ... guess what ...