PDA

View Full Version : Full body scanners approved

Jock p
14th Nov 2011, 19:11
Now this should promote some discussion!! :\

FULL-BODY scanners will be introduced at Australia's eight major gateway airports after receiving the green light from the federal government.
The decision comes after trials of the scanners in Melbourne and Sydney and has a target date of July 1.

From todays Australian

LT Selfridge
14th Nov 2011, 20:34
Just say no - as per the guys in the states.

DutchRoll
14th Nov 2011, 20:59
This discussion has been up before, but don't forget the proposed scanners for Australia are the millimetre-wave scanners, not the backscatter xray scanners used in some other countries. There's a significant difference in the technology from a health perspective. Millimetre waves do not initiate cancer, for example (unlike xrays).

But privacy concerns are serious. These devices can present a reasonably clear image through clothing. Software is available which converts this to a generic human outline, but this software isn't widely used and abuses at the TSA have already demonstrated that privacy concerns are quite valid.

Even worse still, and bound to be completely ignored by the Government, is the fact that their effectiveness is under a cloud. Earlier this year, an undercover TSA agent was repeatedly able to get past these scanners (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/TSA-Agent-Slips-Through-DFW-Body-Scanner-With-a-Gun-116497568.html) carrying a concealed handgun in covert testing at Dallas-Fort Worth! The TSA and Governments maintain that these scanners are effective, even though not a solitary terrorist has ever been detected by one. So what they base their data on is somewhat of a mystery to us all.

big buddah
14th Nov 2011, 21:13
Claim: TSA employees now developing cancer clusters from standing near body scanner machines (http://www.naturalnews.com/032841_body_scanners_cancer.html)

Poltergeist
14th Nov 2011, 21:19
Dutch, the basis is the controlled testing done in a laboratory environment. The difficulty with any data based on how many terrorists you catch is you do not know how many have tried to get through. My experience is that no single technology has proven to be the panacea. Millimetric wave is good and far better than metal detection.
There are systems that do not show an image at all unless the system detects 'foreign objects' and many countries have protections in place against abuses. The interesting thing is what if a passenger refuses? does this make them a suspect?
In the UK there is no power of forced search for airport security so a passenger can refused to be searched. However, it is a condition of entry so the airport will stop you flying but will that refusal make you a target of police suspicion?
I understand that feedback from trials carried out at airports was generally well received and no big issues from the frequent fliers but i suspect questions will keep cropping up on this one. i would be interested to know how it has been received publicly in Australia

Jabawocky
14th Nov 2011, 21:37
What a cracker!!!! I loved this bit :}:D

TSA employees fry their own genitals with radiation (http://www.naturalnews.com/radiation.html)

Now, even though the NIST did not test the safety of these machines, it did warn airport screeners to avoid standing next to them because the machines clearly emitted doses of radiation that could mutate DNA (http://www.naturalnews.com/DNA.html) and cause cancer.

The bulk of TSA employees, who we've already established are among the most intellectually-challenged individuals which are still somehow employable, don't seem to care that they're getting fried with radiation every day on the job. In fact, many TSA employees don't even understand the laws (http://www.naturalnews.com/laws.html) of physics, as has been demonstrated over and over when they tell travelers truly idiotic things like, "There's no radiation from these machines." (True story. This is what one of our contributing writers was told by a TSA agent in Denver.)

Gee, how do they think the machines work? Do they think they're magic? Who needs radiation when you can just use magic to see through people!

The one notable upshot from all this is the realization that TSA agents might experience so much DNA damage from standing next to those machines that they will be rendered completely infertile and therefore have no ability to reproduce. This, the scientists say, is called "natural selection (http://www.naturalnews.com/natural_selection.html)." Those best adapted to surviving will pass on their genes to the next generation, while those who fail to protect the integrity of their own DNA get removed from the human gene pool. I can't think of a more appropriate example of natural (http://www.naturalnews.com/natural.html) selection in action. Darwin eats TSA agents as a mid-morning snack, it seems. So maybe those radiation machines do have a purpose after all...

Learn more: Claim: TSA employees now developing cancer clusters from standing near body scanner machines (http://www.naturalnews.com/032841_body_scanners_cancer.html#ixzz1dipKNu5p)

Poltergeist
14th Nov 2011, 21:52
Excellent Jaberwocky :D
I also enjoyed some of the claims in the ads on that site, becoming a muscle bound hunk is easy with a few drops of potion and some herb tablets!!!

seriously, I am surprised that you do not see the screeners wearing those radiation badges that xray operators where in hospitals!!

rh200
14th Nov 2011, 22:38
Hmm I can see a market for a lead lined purse that you keep your family jewels in if traveling a lot:p

Old Akro
14th Nov 2011, 23:25
My only experience with a body scanner was in Melbourne 4 weeks ago. Stood in line to be scanned for 30 min only to have the thing crash shortly before I got to it. Based on the reaction from the staff, software crashes are common.

Captain Sand Dune
14th Nov 2011, 23:55
Cue the predictable wailing and hand-wringing from the civil liberties galahs.
How about we ditch the expensive and questinably effective machines and go for good old racial profiling instead?:E No, wait - that would be telling it like it is.:hmm:

teresa green
14th Nov 2011, 23:59
Well I suppose it beats a pat on the gonads, by people who Loooooooove their job!:E

Old 'Un
15th Nov 2011, 00:49
...and all the while those who would attempt to harm us (not fond of the word "terrorist" - too narrow a meaning) are rolling around, laughing.

"Them" - 1; Us - 0 (and it was an "own" goal)

Next please...

Le Vieux

Wally Mk2
15th Nov 2011, 03:50
"Old'un" that's exactly how I think, they (the 'tourists') the ones that we are being protected from are chalking up anther win whilst we run around like chooks with our heads cut off!!!!:ugh:It's called intimidation, they have perfected the art of that theses days & they don't have to lift a finger to achieve it!
Like all forms of security if someone wants to really get in so to speak then they will find a way.
I shake my head every time I go thru a scanner when on the way to the cockpit:ugh:

Locks...........they are for the honest thieves out there!

Wmk2

cficare
15th Nov 2011, 07:20
i'm sure Juliar will demonstrate how effective and non-invasive it is ....

jibba_jabba
15th Nov 2011, 21:37
The Scanners were one big corrupt deal from the Ex-head of homeland security M.Chertoff. Who suddenly found himself ordering hundreds of scanners for the U.S.A, and suddenly now the CEO of that same scanner company! (http://www.infowars.com/rep-duncan-blasts-tsa-pat-downs-chertoffs-body-scanner-ties/)......... Uh-Hem.....dare no one scream corruption and terrorist fear mongering or be labelled a "conspiracy guy"..... load of ****, if only people were less apathetic and demand their personal freedoms instead of letting them be taken away under fear!

Europe Bans X-Ray Body Scanners Used at U.S. Airports (http://www.propublica.org/article/europe-bans-x-ray-body-scanners-used-at-u.s.-airports)

Call the AFAP or any union representing you stating you refuse to go through these machines. Also write/email/talk to your MP and state the same.

time to stop this farce....... next thing you know we will have a carbon tax....opps!:ugh:

Bright Spark
19th Nov 2011, 11:41
CFICARE now there's a thought put Juliar in a full body scanner and post the pics on the 6 oclock news and that'll get the scanners banned for sure!!!!!!!!!
Bright

Roller Merlin
19th Jan 2013, 05:44
X-ray scanners to be pulled from US airports
January 19, 2013 - 12:01PM

America's Transportation Security Administration says controversial X-ray security scanners that caused an uproar for showing revealing images of passengers are going to be retired from all US airports.

The decision came after manufacturer Rapiscan failed to develop less invasive imaging software on time.

It will remove all 174 full-body scanners from airports by the end of May.

The scanners aimed to screen passengers for concealed weapons and other prohibited items but created a stir for showing the contour of the body with too much detail.

AAP

X-ray scanners to be pulled from US airports (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/xray-scanners-to-be-pulled-from-us-airports-20130119-2cznn.html#ixzz2IOvkBY4w)

YPJT
19th Jan 2013, 06:20
It will be interesting to see if they do away with the body scanning capacity completely or just change over to the machines that Australia is using that only project a stick image.

Arnold E
19th Jan 2013, 07:52
Millimetre waves do not initiate cancer, for example

As someone who has already had cancer once, can you show me conclusive evidence
that this is the case. And I dont want if or buts, I want you to put your life on the line about this.

717tech
19th Jan 2013, 08:24
Good luck getting a response from someone in the know. Most people would tell you but I doubt anyone would put it on paper!

flighterpilot
19th Jan 2013, 21:24
I think the lead lined underwear would be a good idea...my new eBay business I reckon :-|

ratpoison
19th Jan 2013, 23:35
Arnold E,

You took the words right out of my mouth. Yet another bold statement about "not causing cancer" without the facts.

T28D
20th Jan 2013, 03:23
I see in the weekend press the U.S. is removing them all and the TSA wants 40 million $'s back from the vendor.

jportzer
20th Jan 2013, 22:52
I see in the weekend press the U.S. is removing them all and the TSA wants 40 million $'s back from the vendor.They are NOT removing "them all!" Don't misread the press - The US is only removing the cancer-causing backscatter X-ray machines (Rapiscan), which were only a minority of machines anyway. The majority of machines in the US are the millimeter wave (L3 ProVision) which are the ones Australia is getting. In the US, all of the x-ray machines are being replaced by millimeter wave. In fact, even more millimeter wave machines are being purchased, expanding the full body scanner program even further!

Also, the L3 machines in the US have the software that only displays a stick-figure outline instead of the detailed nude image. I would expect Australia will use this too though it hasn't been confirmed.

T28D
20th Jan 2013, 22:58
OK thanks for the clarity

bubblyguy
22nd Jan 2013, 06:11
Well in Perth so far no crew I've worked with have been selected for the wonderful enhanced security screening.

I have watched a few passengers go through and it is simply a disaster. Takes at least 2 minutes to get through with the passenger usually needing a demonstration of how to stand and not move etc.

The images that result make me laugh with at least 10 points of interest usually popping up including indications there is items on their elbows etc when they are wearing a short sleeved top and it is only their skin.

I'm just happy to continue to walk through the metal detector ;)

compressor stall
22nd Jan 2013, 06:28
One of our FAs got it in Perth after Xmas.

YPJT
23rd Jan 2013, 12:44
jportzer,
Also, the L3 machines in the US have the software that only displays a stick-figure outline instead of the detailed nude image. I would expect Australia will use this too though it hasn't been confirmed.

That is indeed the case with the machines supplied and approved for use in Australia. The feds were very conscious of the privacy ramifications of machines that showed too much detail.