PDA

View Full Version : Stearman

Schmacko
14th Nov 2011, 04:50
How many Stearman owners are there out there and where are you, maybe cos we are different and like wind in our hair....eerrmm wind on our skin...we should stop off in a central place and have a bbq sausage sorta like a mini Boeing picnic without the kerosene

aroa
14th Nov 2011, 05:19
Recent edition of Flightpath? Australian Warbirds? listed all Oz warbirds.. and there was something like 20 + PT-17s in the country.
Which was a nice surprise... I didnt think they had flocked south to that extent.

Great idea Schmako, but I think the prob would be the size of the GAFA, the cost and amount of fuel they guzzle for the forward velocity derived.

Yet to be on the Oz register, 75- N1 model Serial 2012 ex USAAC 42-5570
resides locally. F A R away North Qld.
You can see it in the movie Tora! Tora! Tora!

Where's yr central thoughts?

bentleg
14th Nov 2011, 06:29
There are two at Camden, in the hangar behind Curtis.

illusion
14th Nov 2011, 06:51
I recall a RAAF bloke by the name of Dave Freedman had one in the 80's. Don't know of it's whereabouts but I think he may have passed on.

Arnold E
14th Nov 2011, 06:53
In the interests of political correctness, you should refer to this machine as a Stearperson..:O

Schmacko
14th Nov 2011, 08:03
Don't know if you need to be politically correct with machines my reference would be cockpit vs genitalpit ......... But I was thinking Mildura but that's a long way from FNQ

Arnold E
14th Nov 2011, 08:25
How many Stearman owners are there out there

2 (flying) and 1 not flying that I know of in Adelaide:ok:

flyingpom
15th Nov 2011, 00:50
check out Stunt Flights, Aerobatic Flights, Joy Flights and Scenic Flights in Sydney | Southern Bi Plane Adventures (http://www.southernbiplanes.com.au)

Arm out the window
15th Nov 2011, 02:24
Dave Freedman has passed on, sadly, a while back.

He used to have a Stampe (I think), not sure about a Stearman but it's certainly possible.

ryanboxer
15th Nov 2011, 07:23
Personally I know of 8 different Stearman owners

aroa
15th Nov 2011, 10:43
Lovely spot on the Murray, Mildura.

While most people think north queensland starts just outside Brisbane, its actually a lot further than that.

Mildura might be a couple of hours by big PeTey from Adelaide, but its 2 or 3 days from FNQ..and an awful lot of the GAFA in between.
I'd need the Lotto win first. See you there after that !