PDA

View Full Version : Training bond at Qatar

Canute
13th Nov 2011, 17:43
I asked this question on another thread, but got no replies.

How does the bond work?
Am I bonded from start of training or end?
If I fail am I liable?
If I am fired?

Ta

Canute
14th Nov 2011, 17:39
.....anyone....?
Bueller...?

Ox_ide
15th Nov 2011, 18:47
Start (initial rating):eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yes (depends on circumstance)
Yes (depends on circumstance)
:ok:
Welcome to the worlds 5 Star Airline :D

inner
15th Nov 2011, 20:01
What is the amount of the bond?

Flyer1015
18th Nov 2011, 20:58
Apparently, of that $8100USD monthly salary, they withold $1200 USD per month for 18 months. After that, it's paid out to you (no interest). It's essentially a paycut for 18 months and then a lump sum payout of the amount they jacked. It's their insurance plan to get you to stay at least 18 months.

gdukkoq
18th Nov 2011, 21:15
True, but u get the money back after 3 years. And you pay only during the first 18months 25000Usd total. The calculation is 50000USD divided by 36 months, and you only pay the first 18 months. So half of it, so actually 25K and you get all back after with nô interest of course.
It's 10k I think if you are type rated instead of 50.

Flyer1015
20th Nov 2011, 16:02
Yes, but think of it another way, that's 25k less that you can use right away. In the first 18 months in a new country, I'd like every penny I've earned. That's when you have the biggest single time expenses. Things like a car. Furniture. etc.

gdukkoq
20th Nov 2011, 16:33
Yes indeed but it not lost at least. It's not great but it is managable, and after 3 years not only you are eligible for a fleet change or possible captain upgrade (if you have enough hours) and you get ure 25k back!
A good way to keep you longer in the company.

blusky75
20th Nov 2011, 17:29
anyway they give you flat with fornitures and bills paid..so basically you need not much money...i think that even with 1200 usd less u can still manage very well....

tournesol
21st Nov 2011, 05:59
I symphatise with you. I don't like the bonding system either.
The way I see it, it is up to you to evaluate the pros and cons of the whole deal. If you think it is not fair, don't sign the contract and either pay for type rating yourself or find another company that will give you the type rating without bonding.
It is that simple.:ok:

gdukkoq
21st Nov 2011, 06:36
Yeah right very simple... Usually they need 500hrs on type. That simple :ugh:

Black Pudding
21st Nov 2011, 10:07
Flyer1015

Best thing to do is not come if you feel that way, simple.

And by the way, your starting salary is higher now than it was before the new bond system was brought in, did you know this ?

Flyer1015
22nd Nov 2011, 04:05
Now, now, I was only pointing something out. I didn't mean to trash it as a 'no-go' item.

Yes indeed but it not lost at least. It's not great but it is managable, and after 3 years not only you are eligible for a fleet change or possible captain upgrade (if you have enough hours) and you get ure 25k back!
A good way to keep you longer in the company.

How do fleet transfers work? is their CCQ to the A330 after some time? Do some pilots do both A320/330 at once? Or do you have to wait 3 years on the same type before you can put it for another fleet type (330, 340, 777)? Do they allow a FO to FO jump?

gdukkoq
22nd Nov 2011, 05:33
You only fly one type here, only instructors can fly 2 types. And you will be eligible for fleet change after 3 years. For Captain upgrade possible if you have 5000 hrs for the 320, and 6000 hrs including 2000 on a/c above 100 tonnes for long haul fleet. And for now they offer you upgrade in time.

Flyer1015
22nd Nov 2011, 16:37
You only fly one type here, only instructors can fly 2 types. And you will be eligible for fleet change after 3 years. For Captain upgrade possible if you have 5000 hrs for the 320, and 6000 hrs including 2000 on a/c above 100 tonnes for long haul fleet. And for now they offer you upgrade in time.
If one comes in with 4,200 hrs, assigned the A320, would this individual have to wait 3 years before being able to bid Captain? Or can you bid right at 5k hrs for a Captain spot?

gdukkoq
22nd Nov 2011, 16:56
It is suppose to be 3 years, but now lowering it to 2 years. The funny thing is you join as a FO with 2 stripes. And you only get your 3rd stripe after 3 years when you become a senior FO. So now people will become Captain before being senior FO (if you have enough hours)

gdukkoq
23rd Nov 2011, 01:44
Good question, i would think that you need to do a certain time and then upgrade directly to left seat longhaul. Impossible you GO FO again.

Flyer1015
23rd Nov 2011, 04:44
You mentioned 100 tons for widebody Captain. What about a QR 320 Captain? I don't think the A320 breaks 100 tons. Does this pilot have to bid FO on widebody and then upgrade to the widebody after getting time in 100 tons or more?

Capt Krunch
23rd Nov 2011, 09:59
So now people will become Captain before being senior FO (if you have enough hours)
Not the case, you must be a senior F/O before being slated for a Capt upgrade interview.

Relax guys. Even though this is a rumor network I cant help myself but stop you in your tracks.
There is no one here that has been upgraded before 3 years and the average these days is 4 to 6 years. There are plenty of F/O's that have the required experience here and just waiting for the selection.

If one comes in with 4,200 hrs, assigned the A320, would this individual have to wait 3 years before being able to bid Captain? Or can you bid right at 5k hrs for a Captain spot?

No, you must wait the 3 years regardless of the time you have. we do have F/O's with greater than 8000hrs that have less than 3 years and waiting.. this is not a flying school, there are some very experienced F/O's here.

What about a QR 320 Captain? I don't think the A320 breaks 100 tons.
Right. A320 does not weigh greater than 100 tons, to be honest i dont think it even gets heavier than 75 tons, but i'm not 100% sure about that.
regardless, we do have Capts that have transferred over to the A330 and B777. Keep in mind that these senior Capts operated the A320 for this airline a very long time before getting a fleet transfer.. much greater than 3 years and closer to 7 years for some.

get your head out of the clouds and realize that the 3 year mark is only the minimums required.. it does not mean thats when the world will change, it just means that is when you are now qualified. I know Capts and friends that have been here 6 to 8 years that are still waiting for a fleet transfer.. if my calculation is correct.. thats a tad longer than 3 years right ?:confused:

Homo Ludens
23rd Nov 2011, 12:35
Krunch, my dearest friend,
Although most of you posts have been very informative and true, this last one is not so much.
Last year 2 guys upgraded on A300 before beckoming senior FOs.
Now, as of today, people start their command cources just over 3 years on A320.
Everybody should know this: ALL requirenents for command upgrade/fleet transfer are subject
to a change, IF the Company needs to do so!
Cheers!

gdukkoq
23rd Nov 2011, 13:07
True i got this information from friends working at QR and things have change, much faster now. They need captains Quick otherwize they won't be looking for so many DEC.

Capt Krunch
23rd Nov 2011, 16:44
Homo ludens
hi mate

I know the A300 guys went early, that was a isolated case, not to mention we only have 3 cargo A300-600's and things are very different on that particular fleet. You know as well as I do that you cannot use that as a viable example.

As for the A320's.. They don't do the interview selection for candidate before 3 years. I know many guys who have done the selection and interview at 3 to 4 years but then waited more than a year for a training slot.
As for the wide body fleets, in the past decade I've not seen anyone go right to left with less than 3 years and most closer to 5 years.

The upgrade interview has gotten easier since before, but there are still guys who fail. And as mentioned in the past, if your on the list.. The invisible list that does not exsist, you can bet you'll be waiting a long while to be selected. Unfortunately it's still like that here.. Less than before mind you

It's generally agreed that you can get a command here quicker than in most places. They are quite content with filling the majority of left seats with DECs.

Non Zero
23rd Nov 2011, 16:48
Things change very rapidly but the upgrade time-line for a fresh FO (with all the correct numbers) is pretty much what CK said. I might add ... a little bit longer (min 6 up to 8 years) ... QR is catching up with EK pretty fast!
And generally speaking, if and airline needs more DEC they just have to open the doors a little bit wider...