PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP checkride during recurrent

Speedbird744
12th Nov 2011, 12:18
Do not have the FARAIM on me and I have not been able to find the answer to this on pprune. Maybe somebody could clarify. I hold FAA CPL ME IR with the 737 type. To obtain the ATP must I do another initial type rating or simply get it while I'm doing my next recurrent in the sim. Or even redo the oral and just a checkride in the 737 sim?

Please help
Thanks

NGFellow
12th Nov 2011, 13:32
Guidance is give in FAA Document 8900. If you have a Commercial certificate with a type rating in a multi-engine land aircraft (in your case the B737), once you take an ATP checkride in a multi-engine aircraft your type rating is elevated to that of ATP standards. You do not have to redo your type rating. See excerpt below:

Type Ratings. Type rating tests are conducted to the ATP standard for all grades of pilot certificate. Therefore, all type ratings in that category and class of aircraft for which the practical test is conducted in are upgraded after successful completion of the practical test. For example, a person who holds a B-737, DC-3, and SK-62 at the commercial pilot certificate level, and later satisfactorily completes an ATP practical test in a CE-750, would have his/her B-737 and DC-3 type ratings elevated up to the ATP certificate level. The SK-62 would not elevate up because the practical test was in a multiengine airplane. However, when the person satisfactorily completes an ATP practical test in a helicopter, the SK-62 would then elevate up to the ATP certificate level. Therefore, all of the type ratings held on the superseded certificate carry forward at the new certificate level within category and class.

NOTE: A type rating for a single-engine airplane may not be upgraded to the ATP level.

1) Except for type ratings and, under some circumstances, the instrument rating, other ratings indicated on the superseded pilot certificate are carried forward at the commercial, private, or recreational level, as indicated on the superseded certificate.

2) Instrument rating privileges are shown on the ATP certificate only if the ATP practical test was for visual flight rules (VFR) only, or to retain instrument privileges that were held on the superseded certificate for a category of aircraft other than the one used for the ATP practical test.

Speedbird744
12th Nov 2011, 14:33
Thanks for your reply NGfellow

Am I right in thinking I can simply approach a 737 sim center and request an ATP checkride and oral?. Surely it is not an automatic ticket just because I have done the type rating before and to ATP standards.

Appreciate your time.

340drvr
12th Nov 2011, 15:52
This should be a very simple process, and upgrading to ATP during recurrent checkrides is a common occurrence. With a 737 type rating, you've already "flown" the ATP checkride, the routine will be nearly identical to the initial type-ride or any recurrent checkrides. You will, of course, need to have fulfilled all ATP requirements per FAR Part 61, Subpart G (link: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.7) (1500 hrs total time, etc.) and passed the ATP written exam. Then, as you guessed, a simple call to your sim center should get you on the easy path for this upgrade.
Good luck!

MarkerInbound
13th Nov 2011, 00:26
Surely it is not an automatic ticket just because I have done the type rating before and to ATP standards.

Yes it is. You could even do a MEL ATP ride in a PA-23 and the type would upgrade to the ATP level. Talk about your "frozen" ATP!

fernytickles
13th Nov 2011, 12:33
Do not have the FARAIM on me

You don't need the printed version nowadays...

FAA Regulations (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/faa_regulations/)

NGFellow
14th Nov 2011, 08:40
There will be some areas not found in the FAR/AIM. In those cases look up FAA document 8900 under the respectice section and/or the Practical Test Standards. All these can be accessed on the web for free.

captjns
18th Nov 2011, 21:11
Speedbird744, is your FAA 737 type a SIC type or a Part 61 rating?

In event ring up CAE in the UK. They can lay out a course of action for you if you want an ATP. As you know, you will be required to obtain a Class I FAA Medical, and ATP written.

340drvr
19th Nov 2011, 11:31
Strictly speaking, a 1st class medical certificate is not required to take the ATP checkride. Per FAR 61.23, only a 3rd class is required for a checkride. The 1st Class is of course required to exercise the privileges of an ATP. And, a moot point, if the OP is currently employed by a 121 carrier, probably already has a 1st class medical.

captjns
19th Nov 2011, 14:02
You are correct 340drvr and I stand corrected.

MarkerInbound
19th Nov 2011, 17:18
One thing to keep in mind, the sim center will need a heads up about your plan. The check airman will have to approved to give ATP checkrides (most likely a TRE in 142 speak) and not just recurrent checks.