PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter down in Mallorca

Furia
12th Nov 2011, 11:20
Just one hour ago, one helicopter crashed in Mallorca, 2 people killed.
The press say they were both British nationals.

Weather was quite nice and probably not related to the accident.
No further info avalaible atm.

RIP :{

Edited: This aircraft contrary to the initially published, was not operated by Sloane.

Furia
12th Nov 2011, 11:44
More information here:
Two Britons die in helicopter crash on Mallorca (http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_32659.shtml)

Two Britons have died in a helicopter crash on Mallorca. The craft came down in Coll de Sa Gramola between Andratx and Estellencs after suffering some form of problem in the air at 1110 on Saturday morning.

The helicopter was British registered and had taken off at 1040 from the Son Bonet airport in Palma. Witnesses who were collecting mushrooms in the area report that the craft exploded in the air and then fell to earth, and the two occupants died instantly. Health professionals could only confirm the deaths on their arrival at the scene.

Investigators think that there could have been a problem with the fuel and no more aircraft are being allowed to use the fuel at the Son Boned airdrome until tests have been carried out.

A small fire was caused by the crash and the fire service had to put out the fire which had spread into the surrounding area.

It has been confirmed that the fatalities are the owner of the helicopter who had taken out his girlfriend’s father for a flight.

Aser
12th Nov 2011, 13:18
A month to forget... :ugh:

09-Nov-11 I-DAMS Eurocopter AS365N3 Mineo, Italy (1F)
10-Nov-11 Eurocopter EC130 Molokai, US-Hawaii (5F)
11-Nov-11 HB-ZJN AgustaWestland AW109E Marcucci, Italy (3F)
11-Nov-11 XC-UHP Eurocopter AS332L1 Temamatla, Mexico (8F)
12-Nov-11 private helicopter in Mallorca (2F)

sloanemallorca
12th Nov 2011, 14:30
Just for your information:

The fatal helicopter accident that occurred today in Mallorca was private aircraft.

The helicopter was not operated, or maintained, by Sloane Helicopters.

Our condolences go out to the friends and family at this terrible time.

Jonny Greenall
Base Manager
Sloane Helicopters
Mallorca

Furia
12th Nov 2011, 16:44
Video of the crash site (http://videos.diariodemallorca.es/sucesos/20111112/accidente-aereo-coll-gramola-27543.shtml)
Not much left.

Hughes500
13th Nov 2011, 07:16
Devastated, Mark the pilot was a super guy and a very cautious pilot, having done his 500conversion earlier this year. My heart goes out to Lindsy and the rest of the family
RIP

Newforest2
14th Nov 2011, 13:00
Mr. Mark Blaver-Mann and his wife Lindsey were killed.

English Channel plane crash: Millionaire Ian Dickinson, 79, killed | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061177/English-Channel-plane-crash-Millionaire-Ian-Dickinson-79-killed.html?ito=feeds-newsxm)

Edit. Lindsey was not involved in this accident.

Planemike
14th Nov 2011, 13:36
That is not correct. One male (Ian Dickinson) died in the fixed wing accident off Guernsey and two males (Mark Blaver-Mann and Alistair Evans) died in the helicopter accident on Majorca.

Planemike

Jetboxer
14th Nov 2011, 13:38
Tragic news.

I didn't know those involved, but thoughts go out to their friends, colleagues, and family.

Just to clarify Newforest2, having read the article (which isn't the greatest piece of journalism, mixing two separate incidents together.) I understand that Mark Blaver-Mann and a friend of his died in the accident.... and not his wife (who is pictured).

Newforest2
14th Nov 2011, 17:28
Having re-read this amateurish piece of journalism, you are of course correct, Lindsey is alive. :O

BestoftheWest
16th Nov 2011, 03:52
Majorca helicopter crash: Pair named as Mark Blaver-Mann and Alistair Evans

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/56678000/jpg/_56678332_crashsite.jpg The helicopter crashed in the south west of the Spanish island

Two Britons killed in a helicopter crash in Majorca have been named as a pair of businessmen from Dorset.

Mark Blaver-Mann and Alistair Evans, both 53 and from Poole, died as the helicopter came down in woods in Coll de Sa Gramola near Andratx on Saturday.

Mr Evans owned the Soho restaurant bars in Christchurch and Westbourne while Mr Blaver-Man established, then sold, Poole-based engineering firm Powerman.

A friend of the pair, who was unable to make the trip, said it was a "tragedy".
Mr Blaver-Mann was said to have been at the controls of the top-of-the-range Hughes 500 chopper when it fell from the sky.

Stephen Bath, joint managing director of Bath Travel, had been invited to join the pair in Majorca.

Mr Bath said: "I had been with the pair of them with our wives just last Friday to see Alistair's new house in Canford Cliffs. He proudly showed us round his lovely house. We had a nice dinner and we ended up talking about helicopters most of the evening.

"They kindly invited us out this weekend to be with them but we had a prior commitment.

"If I'd been out there I would have been with them. I would never normally turn down a flight in a helicopter."

'Had to be them'

Mr Bath told how he heard the news of the crash at a party on Saturday.
"I was just arriving at a party in Christchuch and word came through from London that a helicopter had crashed," he said.

"It was a Hughes 500 and there's only one in Majorca so it had to be them."
Mr Bath described Mr Evans as a "fanatical sailing racer" who only recently moved to Poole to be closer to his boat.

He said Mr Blaver-Mann bought the helicopter last year and learned to fly it "from scratch".

The crash caused a small forest fire, destroying a quarter of an acre of woodland before it was put out, reports said.

The area is noted for its impressive mountain views.

Hughes500
16th Nov 2011, 07:18
Just a correction, ,Mark was already done his pplh on an R44 before he purchased G-WOOW with his business partner. So he hadnt had it from scratch

BestoftheWest
16th Nov 2011, 19:16
Didnt the same guy roll over an R44 from a hover recently. Thought I saw it on Rotorheads here.

choppadan
18th Nov 2011, 09:10
NO.

That's the simple answer to that question

BestoftheWest
19th Nov 2011, 03:15
Didnt realise there was also a complicated answer :8

choppadan
19th Nov 2011, 11:43
No not really. A longer answer would be,

Mark had never been involved with any other accident or incident through-out his flying career.

A great shame and a terrible loss.